Discuss why have a FGA acs assement in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
Looking back, most of the boilers i install DONT require a FGA. I just do it as a matter of course. Sorry got confused between installation instructions/ servicing & benchmark.

All the dom boilers I've done. Only ever FGA 1. That was an LPG converted one

All the others. Never!

Btw. This is only commission not service

not from the 1st of april

you dont need an analyser on 01-04-12, but you do need a ticket saying you are competant to use one from then, but in reality you could do your job properly and fully for the 5yr life of the ticket and NEVER touch an analyser

As ive said before, the only people making real money in the gas industry these days are the training centres and the people that we have to register with. If you turned round to a joiner and said: now then mr tradesman you spend 5 years of your life training in your profession and then we will force you back into college every 5 years and charge you a small ransom for the privlege of it and then add a steady stream of extra qualifications over your working life to extract more of your hard earned money from you but at least we will smile at you whilst we take your money." he would wrap knock you unconcious with his 6 foot spirit and say "on your bike". Rant over.:cuss:

do you actually know anyone who has access to financial records of any training centres? who says they are making money? we charge £40 (+£45 cert fee) plus VAT for CPA assessment (ok we assess 3 or 4 at a time for a 1.5hr assessment, out of the £40 i print the training notes and exam papers, wages and running costs, it aint buying me my jag this year

Let me clear something up here.
Looking at the past few posts there are individuals that believe you can work on a zero governed boiler, wither it being commissioning or servicing without having to carry out a FGA to confirm safe operation?
Am I picking this up right?

you arent picking up what some are saying, some are quite rightly saying if you only INSTALL certain boilers you dont need an analyser, but if you service or repair you do,

I thought you had to have this by April, to install boilers, flueless fires etc because that is the it's going.

you are quoting 2 different types of appliance, you do not need an analyser to fit EVERY boiler, i know this for a fact, i BELIEVE you do need an analyser to fit flueless gas fires (any i have seen require you to check ratio on commissioning, someone may advice of some that dont require it)

Looking back, most of the boilers i install DONT require a FGA. I just do it as a matter of course. Sorry got confused between installation instructions/ servicing & benchmark.

see, dont get confused by what you must do and what you tell us you do, haha

do you actually know anyone who has access to financial records of any training centres? who says they are making money? we charge £40 (+£45 cert fee) plus VAT for CPA assessment (ok we assess 3 or 4 at a time for a 1.5hr assessment, out of the £40 i print the training notes and exam papers, wages and running costs, it aint buying me my jag this year

Oh no, does this mean you are traveling around in last years Jag?
I'm disappointed Kirk :D

Nothing to add here as Kirk fancied nothing on the telly and answered it all.

Oh 1 thing i can add. Although it is not a requirement to hold and use a FGA for some types of work they are pushing to change the GSIUR to make it compulsory. (see Decembers gas engineer or installer mag or whatever one it was in) so everyone will have to splash out in the next year or 2.

When I got made redundant and went self employed I decided that there were 4 essential things that I needed to invest in. Gas Safe Registration, Public Liability insurance, further training and a FGA. I could have just taken out some public liability and gone out plumbing but I decided to invest in the tools and equipment that enable me to earn better money.

You need to look at the ongoing costs of training, equipment maintenance etc. and set your prices at a level that covers these costs and gives you a decent wage.

I've stood in merchants chatting to people about prices and I am charging twice what some local fitters are charging. I've been told that I'll never get any work at those rates when I've been on my way out to do a job at precisely those rates. I don't want to work for people that want a cheap job done, I want to work for people that want a decent job done and are willing to pay a decent rate for it. Too many people in this industry undersell themselves.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to why have a FGA acs assement in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hello, I've got a testo 327-1 that I purchased back in 2019 when I went self employed. The analyser hasn't been calibrated since purchase. After...
Replies
Views
We are from Alberta, and I own an electrical company. I have been asked by a BC Mechanical P. Eng. to install an emergency STOP button at the...
Replies
Views
J
    • Love
During Covid I had to undertake a phone consultation to pass my Gas Safe Inspection. I failed dismally even though I have over 35 years...
Replies
Views
Deleted member 120897
D
Flue Snugs Hello all new member here. Flue snugs. I’m seeing a lot of boiler installs on you tube that don’t have flue snugs to comply with...
Replies
Views
DIY air conditioning system. I've got lots of plumbing experience and want to install my own a/c split system 3 to 1. I intend having it...
Replies
Views

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock