Search the forum,

Discuss DIY air conditioning system in the UK Plumbing Forum | Plumbing Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

DIY air conditioning system. I've got lots of plumbing experience and want to install my own a/c split system 3 to 1. I intend having it commissioned by an F Gas qualified company. When l tried to buy the system the supplier want all details of the F Gas registered 'installer' before releasing the goods. I explained what l wanted to do but they insist it cannot be installed by me dispite having it commissioned by a registered company. Can anyone in the know or anyone that has done this give me any advice?

Go find another person who will sell you the A/Cond, without asking so many questions.

I hope you're not trying to install a VRV /VRF system yourself.

Firstly you'll need to find a company / individual who are F-Gas registered and confirm that they will do the final connections and commissioning, I think you'll struggle.
If you can find one then get them to design the system and supply it and agree with you how much of the installation work you can do.

If you're a DIY'er, then this system is probably beyond your realms.

I doubt anyone would want to sign off on the works, or even for that fact commission the works.
VRF systems are slightly complicated and very few people will commission works that they have not undertaken.

Offer the job to someone and assist with labour - that's your best bet

I understand what you are saying however l have City& Guilds level1,2,3 in industrial/ commercial boiler technology. I'm also a skilled sheet metal worker with heating, cooling and ventilation ducting experience. Installing an air conditioning system is not rocket science. I wanted to do it myself as a project to keep me busy since retiring. I have arranged a company to do the final commissioning but l am not FGas registered to do the installation.

I understand what you are saying however l have City& Guilds level1,2,3 in industrial/ commercial boiler technology. I'm also a skilled sheet metal worker with heating, cooling and ventilation ducting experience. Installing an air conditioning system is not rocket science. I wanted to do it myself as a project to keep me busy since retiring. I have arranged a company to do the final commissioning but l am not FGas registered to do the installation.

Can’t you get them to supply you the kit ? And you install it they vacuum and commission it ?

Here we go, it's not rocket science but on an Internet forum asking advice.

Don't have a problem with educated people, but people need to know there limits and ultimately accept them.

I have arranged a company to do the final commissioning but l am not FGas registered to do the installation.
Under the regulations, a supplier is not allowed to sell a system to the general public. They are supposed to obtain evidence that the customer, or their agent, is qualified to install. If you do your research on the interweb, you will see that DIY installs are basically 'illegal'.
However there are probably unscrupulous people out there who don't care about the regulations. I hope you don't get sucked in to doing it anyway!
If you are really driven to do this yourself, why not get the qualifications? F-Gas FAQs - regulations - https://fgasregister.com/f-gas-faqs/

Reply to DIY air conditioning system in the UK Plumbing Forum | Plumbing Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock