Search the forum,

Discuss Where do I stick my thermostat? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello folks!

Right, here's the plan of my 1 bedroom, ground floor flat I'm refurbing. It is about 850sq ft in total.

[won't let me insert image from PhotoBucket - radiator image is incorrect, can't delete it] :(

In that image, rad positions are marked in red, going with decent rads, so something like Quinn or Myson I think.

I am not very knowledgeable when it comes to thermostats - so my initial question is where should I mount it? Is there any benefit to having one of those smart thermostats that I see talked about much on this forum? Would one thermostat cover the whole flat?

In terms of my boiler, it is a Potterton Promax Combi 28, with an output of around 28kW according to the manual.

Any advice appreciated as I'm sort of in the dark on this one. :clap:

Attachments

• raddddddd.jpg
    raddddddd.jpg
    8.8 KB · Views: 74
Last edited:
On the flow (flow from the boiler) unless your fitting bi direction valves

and room thermostat as below coldest spot or the most lived in room and if there a rad in the room where the thermostat is fixed then you have to fit lock-shield valves

Last edited:
The thermostat should really be positioned in the coldest part of the house. Smart thermostats are clever kit but they don't suit everyone and their daily routine. In this instance you're better off doing your own research knowing your personal circumstances. You can obviously have a wireless thermostat that you take round the house with you, however if you have TRVs then the thermostat and TRVs will fight against each other

zzzzzzzzzzz.jpg

Based on the above, I can only think of putting it in the hallway near the entrance (narrow hallway, 80cm width, ceiling height of 280cm) or next to the boiler cupboard / non-opening double glazed window, marked X, although issue there is that in that particular room there are several radiators and I was planning on whacking some TRVs on them...any ideas folks?

Generally put them in the hall not beside the hall radiator though, don't fit a TRV to hall radiator either. This gives you separate thermostatic control over other rooms with TRVs

Really should be n the hall, probably best just next to, or opposite the entrance door. But I think your option of position will work, as it's going to get a good average temperature. You might have to run it slightly higher then normal to achive a comfortable temp in your living area.

Blimey, thanks for the advice fellas, because I've been given a choice, I ain't sure what the heck to do now, haha, hallway or on wall next to boiler cupboard?! I am guessing hallway probably better as the issue with having it near boiler cupboard is in that particular room there will be 5 rads with a TRV on each, whereas in hallway it's one little rad and no TRV.

Blimey, thanks for the advice fellas, because I've been given a choice, I ain't sure what the heck to do now, haha, hallway or on wall next to boiler cupboard?! I am guessing hallway probably better as the issue with having it near boiler cupboard is in that particular room there will be 5 rads with a TRV on each, whereas in hallway it's one little rad and no TRV.
Get a plumber in.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Where do I stick my thermostat? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

I have a Neura heat pump and my thermostat has failed (Theben RAM 797 b). I'm looking to replace it with another more modern one I can use with an app etc. My question is, can I replace it with any thermostat or do I require a very specific type thermostat to run the heat pump? Thanks for...
Replies
Views
Hi, I live in a really remote part of the Highlands, so paying for a plumber (or electrician?) to do this will be brutally expensive, so I need to do it myself. I have a Grant Combi 26e boiler. I'm replacing the old thermostat with a new one. Although the boiler is a combi, I think the old...
Replies
Views
We have recently moved into a property which has a Worcester Greenstar Highflow 440 Standalone Combi gas boiler. This appears to be a relatively old unit however, it is still in great working condition and has been serviced on a regular basis. I'd like to add a Nest Thermostat to control the...
Replies
Views
Hi, I just moved into a new house and it has a Glow Worm Compact 24c combi boiler and a ESI ESRTP4RF+ programmable room thermostat and I am wondering if it's worth turning on the optimum start and stop features? There is also something called TPI (chronoproportional control) but I'm not sure how...
Replies
Views
I'm in Canada, where the standard is NPT. I just put in a heat pump and shut off the hand valves but I want the rads in the room to warm up if the heat pump can't keep up. NPT thermostatic rad valves are available but are hellish expensive. The sizes I have are 3/4" and 1". The system used to be...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock