Search the forum,

Discuss When customers stand and watch you work in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

armyash

Esteemed
Plumber
Gas Engineer
Subscribed
This drives me mad, I mean standing right behind me and watching everything I do.

Is there anything I can say to them without sounding like I am being rude to them in their own home? lol

How do you deal with it or is it just one of those we have to put up with doing this work?

It doesn't bother me Ash, just forget they are their and get on with what your doing.

Keep on reaching for stuff or going for things of your van, make it so they're in the way. They'll soon get the message.

I always tell them the job takes twice as long if you're watching and I charge by the hour.

I`m lucky as all I have to do is pop the lid off the macerator turn the wet vac on and point the wet vac exhaust in their direction and they soon bugger off.

It never usually bothers me but if there alright and have already rad a laugh I'll roll out the you can stand there watching me or help me by putting the kettle on.

i know someone that puts his tools down turns round and stares back eventually they get the idea

On social housing years ago, servicing a bbu would be a family occasion....

It never usually bothers me but if there alright and have already rad a laugh I'll roll out the you can stand there watching me or help me by putting the kettle on.

i know someone that puts his tools down turns round and stares back eventually they get the idea

Hehehehe. .. I do this too....

I had one of these yesterday evening, the only good thing is I didn't have to do no clearing up as when I did things like chop out the wall for a shower tray, then went to the van, by the time I got back it had all been cleared up. So it has it's benefits sometimes :)

I had one years ago I accidentally hit with a bit of pipe and he still stood there watching afterwards. At one point he said oh do you want a cuppa and I thought oh at last a bit of peace from all the questions when I said yes he shouted at his mrs to make me one!

I don't mind people watching it's when they ask loads of questions gets me as I'm then trying to think what I'm doing and what to answer them!

I hate it, i had a Tennant watching me the other day, telling me he didn't realise how easy it was to service the boiler, and he could do it himself easily if what I was doing was anything to go by...... I then explained to him that I was replacing the radiant on his fire and that this isn't a boiler service.

Doesnt bother me in the slightest they can watch all they want although i must it was a bit uncomfortable when i first started out in my own but soon got used to it.
Sometimes its good to have a chat. But most people just leave you to it.

There is a distinction between the lonely, chatty ones and the goggling hawks. The former are a matter of taste (i'd rather not, but many enjoy them.) The latter are universally disliked.

This subject has popped up a few times and there are always loads of funny suggestions but no actual implementable ones (unless you happen to be comfortable with being a bit short with people or risking an "atmosphere")

The sad truth is there is no socially acceptible way to make someone aware of how unappreciated, counter-productive and discorteous it is to hover over the tradesmen they've hired. Most of them do realise this, I have found. They can't wait to say "Anyway, I'll not stand over you, give me a shout if you need anything." But the one git who doesn't realise this will just have to be put up with.

Ironically, I find if I'm ever going to cut a corner, plan something badly or even not check my finished work thoroughly enough it's going to be when someone is watching. They think they are ensuring the job is done properly. They've got it exactly upside down.

Last edited:
I don't mind customers watching me work but I do detest the ones who tell you how to do your job lol,,
i was called out to an old broken down worcester and the customer stood and watched me diagnose the fault, it was the air pressure switch, the one that's situated in beside the circuit board, because these are discontinued the guy said he'd scower the net, he phoned me the next day to say he'd went into the guts of the boiler removing air tubes from fan n stuff, I immediatly stopped him and told him to get someone else,that I can't have custards interfering in the boiler,,, but I dare say he probably chanced it himself, I hate these types of custards

I don't mind if the customer stands near by to have a bit of a chat as long as there not just hanging round, I find it makes me question everything I do and make mistakes, so when I get the dreaded lingering customer, I usually go the van for five minutes until they get board

I don't mind customers watching me work but I do detest the ones who tell you how to do your job lol,,
i was called out to an old broken down worcester and the customer stood and watched me diagnose the fault, it was the air pressure switch, the one that's situated in beside the circuit board, because these are discontinued the guy said he'd scower the net, he phoned me the next day to say he'd went into the guts of the boiler removing air tubes from fan n stuff, I immediatly stopped him and told him to get someone else,that I can't have custards interfering in the boiler,,, but I dare say he probably chanced it himself, I hate these types of custards

Was it a worcester 230 by any chance?

I actually don't mind the ones who just want a bit of a chat, it's the ones who stand behind in silence. I can tell they are watching every little move. I'm sure in a few years with more experience it wont bother me.

I just tell them to leave me alone I was in an indian takeaway once getting it ready for opening 5 of them were watching me and following me about I lost it and told them to get the :nono: out of the shop and leave me be the owner said fair play wished hed said same as they had been doing the same to him direct approach does work...brum

Last edited by a moderator:
Was fitting an Ideal boiler (conversion). Customer kept getting in the way, asking questions and looking at everything I was doing like a hawk, chatting non stop all the time. In the process, I cut a pipe, used pipe bender and he kept up the chat? Realised I had :nono: the bend but instead of doing another, I just stuck it there. Looked odd but I had reached the point of not caring. I don't mind being watched, but some folks just put you off

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to When customers stand and watch you work in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

S
Hi, I seemed to have a blockage in kitchen sink. A plumber came and cleared all the pipework that is visible inside my home (there was debris and pebbles!) We saw that the pipe that takes water down the gutter was visibly full to the top. He said he will return with a coil to push through...
Replies
Views
S
We run a community village hall and have a large kitchen provided for the use of hirers. This includes a Lincat SLR9 gas cooker which I believe is a 23.8Kw appliance with all six burners and oven on max. This was installed some 10 years ago and has passed all subsequent Gas Safety inspections as...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock