Users can remove all display ads (not sponsors) for a small fee. Click for info (must be logged in)

Discuss What's the nut on top of a gas supply bayonet fixing used for? in the Oil and Solid Fuel Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

I have a redundant gas cooker supply to cap, but wondered what the nut on the top of the gas supply bayonet fitting is used for?

Last edited:
Picture ?

Presumably to allow the valve components to be assembled inside (during manufacture) 🤔
If you're talking about this sort of thing:

I expect it will be how they assembled the fitting.

In theory they are designed to be disconnected and gas tight. Realistically though I would get it capped. IT IS NOT SOMETHING A NON GAS SAFE ENGINEER CAN DO.

Guidance Note 65 to regulation 6(3) of GSIUR states:
“When an appliance is disconnected and open-ended pipework is left, the pipework should always be left sealed with an appropriate fitting. A self-sealing coupling, e.g. on a cooker connection, does not need to be capped-off, except where there is a significant risk of interference (such as by a child). However, it should be checked that any disconnected coupling is not leaking gas (see paragraph 68), and any wall- mounted connector has been installed in the downward mounted position to prevent dirt or grit getting into the self-closing seal.”

Reply to What's the nut on top of a gas supply bayonet fixing used for? in the Oil and Solid Fuel Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi. I need a new toilet supply line but don’t know the size type of the fitting at the shut off valve. It is not 3/8 compression. It is a plastic...
Replies
Views
We run a community village hall and have a large kitchen provided for the use of hirers. This includes a Lincat SLR9 gas cooker which I believe is...
Replies
Views
  • Article
A Plumber Who Worked Illegally Gets A Suspended Sentence After Falsely Claiming To Be Gas Safe Registered. A Plumber in Herefordshire was...
Replies
Views
I want to reconnect some outbuildings to an existing water supply. The supply pipe is old 22mm MDPE and buried for a fair distance so not going...
Replies
Views
The fittings below are for a mixer bar attached to a self contained shower. i.e not a wall. The attaching screws have snapped. I could get two new...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock