Discuss What Tools should I Get For Starting An apprenticeship in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
L

Liam-1

i am starting an apprenticeship in january but wont be going to college till september but i would like to have a rough guide on what tools to get any input would be great thanks !:)

Rothenburger superfire 2
Grips
Adjustable spanners

Bss and pts are doing a very good deal ATM for most of this

Superfire 2, burn mat, bag, gas, grips £70+vat. That's cheap btw. And good quality

Rothenburger superfire 2
Grips
Adjustable spanners

Bss and pts are doing a very good deal ATM for most of this

Superfire 2, burn mat, bag, gas, grips £70+vat. That's cheap btw. And good quality

Thats a brilliant deal!

Mug, teaspoon, spare kettle element ...

These will earn you brownie points.

If you were to ask me, I'd advise you not to buy too much. Tools depreciate very quickly (financially) and if things don't work out or if you can't find a job then you won't have wasted large amounts of money. It is not very difficult to spend £500 on only a few items.

You can't go wrong with Bahco spanners (they're expensive though!)
Pump pliers don't have to be Knipex but if you can afford them, lucky you! To start with you might prefer the price of Rothenbergers.
A set of screwdrivers won't be expensive and will be useful.
Pipe cutters (15mm and 22mm) to start. Wheel cutters are better than the fiddling G clamp shaped affairs.

If you can work for a week and borrow tools, make a note at the end of each day of what you use. Then go shopping on the Saturday and buy those tools if you think you'll use them again soon.

This way, you'll not spend needless pounds on tools you hardly ever use.

What age are you?

If you are a young lad and depending on how many plumbers other work at the place, just get some basics. A hammer, a couple of decent screwdrivers, 15 and 22mm pipe slices, a tape, a junior hacksaw a set of 9" footprints and a pair of pump pliars and a couple of adjustables. Put a mark on everything as someone will nick them. Don't bother with a gas torch for now. Most places will give you one if they are half decent.
If there are a few other guys there they will probably pass you some other tools and you can build up the rest to suit the work you are doing

Pump pliers don't have to be Knipex but if you can afford them, lucky you! To start with you might prefer the price of Rothenbergers.

Lidl sell half decent pump pliers for about £4. Good enough to learn with.

Good advice dkia :wink:

find a good bootfair and keep your eyes WIDE open the ammount of people that retire and sell everything in site is un real!! if you find any speak to who ever is selling it as im sure they may do you a deal if they knew the tools would be staying in the trade. i have picked up some real gems for next to nothing that way and ten years on there are still a few i use top of my head a hilti te 26 110v for £60!! that thing just runs and runs!

If you did buy a blow lamp get your self a sheet of plasterboard some fittings,clips and pipe then practice practice practice! try to keep the board clean from grubby hands and burn marks learn your different fixings and fittings and you'll also see what tools you use and need to do the basics.

well done on landing an apprenticeship they are few and far between, welcome to the industry its an ever changing world.
but most importantly remember there is no point teaching someone who knows everything or cant listen to simple instructions! best of luck for the future pal

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to What Tools should I Get For Starting An apprenticeship in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hello all, my name is Michael and I am 18. I have my level 2 and 3 qualifications in plumbing and I also have a full driving licence I cant find...
Replies
Views
Another newbie in the forums. I’m a 33 year old and after having worked in the Graphic/Web Design industry for around 8 years, I worked a few...
Replies
Views
Hi there, I'm sniffing around what to expect of getting a job in plumbing. My job makes me redundant at the end of September. The whole warehouse...
Replies
Views
Hi I am trying to replace my bathroom tap with a new one, I am trying to remove the existing rusty flexible tap connectors from this bit of 22mm...
Replies
Views
I’m finding it hard breaking into the industry. I’m a trainee plumber living in London Hello, I'm a trainee plumber who lives in London who's...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock