Search the forum,

Discuss Wet UFH design advice in the Water Underfloor Heating Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

Hi, I have a seaside apartment in Azerbaijan, currently a bare core & shell, not even internal walls yet, and am intending to put in wet UFH with ceramic tiles on top. Although we will get someone to do this for us, in my experience here it's always best to have a pretty good idea of what needs to be done first, to avoid any misunderstandings.

Apartment size is approx 80sqm and I've been told so far that:
  • there are 6m of pipe per sqm so 6x80 = 480m of pipe
  • max 50m of pipe on each manifold, so approx 10 manifolds
...thus making about 1 manifold for each 8 sqm - which I guess will be a useful number when creating zones for the rooms.

I'd really like to validate those numbers to start with.

Thanks

Responding as a non-professional from the UK, I believe our figures would typically be 5 m of pipe per sqm with 200mm spacing, or for higher heat loss areas, 6.6m of pipe per sqm with 150mm spacing, for 15, 16 or 20mm pipe.
But up to a max of 100m of pipe per loop rather than your max of 50m. And we typically put multiple loops (eg up to 8) on a single manifold. Maybe the distinction between an individual loop of pipe and a manifold feeding multiple loops from a pump, mixing valve and actuator for each loop is a matter of custom or terminology.
Just to say my wet UFH has small rooms with 1 loop, and bigger rooms with two or three loops (each loop on an actuator but with two or three actuators connected in parallel controlled by the one thermostat in that room.

Last edited:
I have ufh in kitchen, it is 46 sq m and comprises of two loops back to a single manifold. I laid it in two reversing snail patterns and it works brilliantly- I wish I had cupped my balls and dug up all the existing floors at the same time, but two small kids and we were living there so didn’t do it.
(As its kitchen, there is no ufh under units or appliances- hence it could be done in just two loops)

In answer to your question, taking into account you don’t go right to perimeter and best not to go under food storage cupboards etc etc the area you are looking at could be covered by 4 loops.

However

You most likely want separate rooms on separate loops for control purposes- so in reality the number of rooms will determine how many loops you need.
The whole thing can be run from a single manifold/pump/blending valve setup.

Best thing is to hand over plans to our sponsor Jake at Uheat and get them to design it for you and supply the goods for a successful project.

I guess I mean 10 loops rather than 10 manifolds (!) but as noted it should be less if I don't put heating under kitchen cupboards or where wardrobes will be etc. From the layout I think that 2 manifolds would work, one at either end of the flat.

For plumbing in Azerbaijan we use plastic pipes which are heat-welded so it's really easy to run a pipe from one end to the other under the floor. But I guess we'd need to be careful that didn't introduce favouritism for water flow into one of the manifolds due to lower water resistance. Not sure how to deal with that, maybe just a valve to balance flow between the two?

For UFH materials I think it will be best for our plumbers to use materials bought locally so they are familiar with everything.

The individual circuits have control at the manifold to allow you to balance as required.
It sounds like you ought to get it specced up by a manufacturer if you are unsure how it works.

Reply to Wet UFH design advice in the Water Underfloor Heating Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

The fittings below are for a mixer bar attached to a self contained shower. i.e not a wall. The attaching screws have snapped. I could get two new brackets, dismantle that existing one and start again or I could try and re attach via those screws, removing the broken ones from the plate and wall...
Replies
Views
I was stupid enough not to check the position of the pipes under the tiles when installing a toilet and drilled right through the center of a 16 mm copper water pipe. I exposed the pipe by removing a ~30cm section of the plastic sleeve and a ~10 cm section of the pipe around the hole. Several...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock