Discuss Waste dumped in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
I add waste disposal to the job. On certain things like cooker changes I say I can dispose of the cooler but charge an extra £10 purely because that is what the bigger companies do.

Couple years ago I had a trailer of jumble sale crap left over from scouts jumble sale. Took it down tip but they said they couldn't accept it as they didn't take that sort of stuff and it was commercial. Went over the road where the waste company was who collect from the scouts place, manager says just chuck it in one of the bin lorries which we did. When I asked what happens to it, he said they take it over the road and put it in the tip!!

Well, I'm naming and shaming Colchester and Essex as agent provocateurs.

Thinking it would be nice to be able to add waste disposal to the medium sized jobs I have worked my way up to, I have hit several brick walls:

No space to store enough rubbish to fill a skip at home, nor space to store a skip unless I give up my driveway. Not even sure a skip lorry could still collect from my drive now my hedge has been planted, and very narrow road.
Civic Amenity site will not accept trade waste even as a chargeable servive.
Local council will collect bags as a chargeable service, but not suited to baths or shower trays for obvious reasons. Or give me a wheeled bin as as chargeable service, but no space to store it here.
The only local waste company that will allow me to drop off waste charges £108 a metric ton, but minimum charge of 1 ton. This would be acceptable if I had somewhere I could store a vanful at home, but my 2-up 2-down is already struggling to contain me and my plumbing business.
The medium size jobs I am taking on are not really big enough to swallow the cost of a skip on site.

It seems we're making it very hard for people to be law-abiding not that I have much sympathy for people who fly-tip either. But, on a practical note, probably cheaper and easier to pay the fines!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Waste dumped in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

I had a shower waste today which was supplied with the tray and wouldn't tighten up, just kept slipping threads. I've had a few of these before...
Replies
Views
Hi I need some advice as this has been ongoing since august and nobody can find a problem but meantime water is damaging my walls. The lady...
Replies
Views
Hi all, Excuse the length but this seems like a complicated fix. I lived in a 1930s block of flats. Brick building with concrete slab floors...
Replies
Views
Need some advice, neighbors sewer drain keeps blocking up every few months. My wife and I have always chipped in with the other three neighbors...
Replies
Views
J
Hi Looking to 'crowd-source' some public opinion on this one. I bought a studio apartment on 30th September 2022 and I'm currently working with...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock