Discuss US wifi thermostats & Valliant 624 system? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
B

Boomish

Thanks to the advice here I have a lovely new Valiant 624 system boiler with a Gledhill 180L indirect unvented cylinder, but I am undecided on what thermostat to run it on, my old system is ok but 18 years old so I have been looking at the new wifi programable thermostat's but they seem mostly only available in the US so far.

Now the Valiant does have a 24v connection so seems ready for one of these more modern low voltage wifi controllers I just wondered if anyone has fitted one or think it should work?
I have contacted Valiant but haven't got a reply yet. The other option is one of Valiants weather Compensating System control, but for the money I think these new wifi ones will do all this and more. I presume they are just not in the UK yet apart from Heatmiser they do a wifi system controller that looks good but expensive.

Appreciate any advice..
Alan

Salus have just brought out a wifi/iPhone compatible room stat/programmer.

Thanks for the reply and info, the Salus one looks good, not much info on their web site but I'll give them a call in the morning. Vaillant gave us a useless reply to my nicely worded and polite email, just saying there wasn't a 24v connection on the R1.
Dunno what R1 is , no mention of any alternative option or if a low voltage thermostat would work. Even though there is a clearly labeled 24v thermostat connection on the board..

Why do you want to be able to control your heating via wifi I just cant see the point. The only time I can see it being useful is for holiday lets and halls etc so people do not have to drive to turn the heating on a couple of hours before its needed.

Why do you want to be able to control your heating via wifi I just cant see the point. The only time I can see it being useful is for holiday lets and halls etc so people do not have to drive to turn the heating on a couple of hours before its needed.
Lol a very good point Millsy but I heard from friends in the US rather than have to use the features of an expensive programmer all in one unit that you can't update , developing a simple control and a cheaper IOS app that can easily updated and integrated with the home is the way forward. That means features like being able to as you say control when away from home but simply sense when you leave the home automatically! It just gives you so many other options to tailor the heating around a hetic lifestyle, so should save money if you only heat the home when your there.
Why put all the power and R&D into an expensive programable control when an iPad or smartphone have all the power you need.
I dunno maybe a bit OTT but I'd rather buy a heating system that can change with my future home with a simple app update than something I'd have to replace.
Also being software it can email graphs and reports etc etc on all your heating uses etc etc

Check out Wifithermostat.com

Last edited by a moderator:
Heatmiser do a wifi version
Yep and Salus have a new one just launched - the iT500' I just wondered if anyone had fitted or used one. Hey it might be all crap, but I think it will be the future.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've fitted a heatmiser and the customer loves it. We were going to fit a salus but had to wait for it to come out.
And the customer went for the heatmiser. Easy to install and technical help desk are very good in guiding you with install and setting up.

Haven't read this in full yet. But if the problem is the 24 volts from the stat, then you could just wire it via a relay which would up it to mains voltage. Wouldn't be hard.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to US wifi thermostats & Valliant 624 system? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

I
I've had my tado system in my new build for 5 years now and it's been fine. Yesterday morning I changed the batteries on the second floor...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Have a sytem boiler with unvented cylinder with 2 heating zones plus hot water in a house we moved into recently. To start with we were always...
Replies
Views
I have bought an old house in rural France and it has an oil tank and Unical oil powered boiler (Italian I think). Its a beast of a thing but...
Replies
Views
We have recently moved into a property which has a Worcester Greenstar Highflow 440 Standalone Combi gas boiler. This appears to be a relatively...
Replies
Views
Hi, I live in a really remote part of the Highlands, so paying for a plumber (or electrician?) to do this will be brutally expensive, so I need to...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock