Search the forum,

Discuss Upstairs heating issue in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
F

fitzyj

Hello all,

I've tried searching the forums and Google and I cant seem to find the answer to my current problem I have with my upstairs heating.

I live in a 3 bed new build and the system is unvented with 2 zones each has their own thermostat. Downstairs is controlled by a turn dial and upstairs is controlled by a Siemens (unsure of model) electronic thermostat. The whole system is controlled by a Siemens RBW29.

Recently one of the motorised valves (for upstairs) failed and stuck open so I had a plumber replace both valves while the system was drained just in case the next one failed like the first.

The heating upstairs and down was working fine after the installation apart from the kitchen rad (was stone cold), this is where the system was drained from so assumed it needed bleeding due to an air lock.

After a few days the kitchen rad was still cold and when bleeding water was coming out along with air and I feel this is where my current issue stemmed from. To rectify the kitchen rad issue I closed the lockshield valve and TRV and removed the bleed valve, all air escaped and I returned the lockshield and TRV back to their original location. The kitchen rad was now heating up.

After thinking I had solved the issue I now have no heating upstairs. The thermostat is signalling for heating but the motorised valve is not signalling the pump to turn on. I only get heating upstairs when the downstairs heating is on and I override the upstairs motorised valve to manual. As soon as the downstairs heating is off the pump turns off and upstairs rads turn cold even though the motorised valve is still in the manual position.

Can anyone advise on this issue?

Apologies for the long post but I've tried to explain and detail everything that's happened so far.

I thought it may be a balancing issue but seeing as the radiators upstairs get hot when I override the motorised valve I'm not sure any more.

Thanks
James

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes sorry forgot to mention that. Pressure is around the 1.1-1.2 range.

Could be just coincidence that after you worked at the kitchen radiator, the upstairs isn't working. It might be that the new motorised valve actuator for upstairs has failed. Need somebody to check it is getting power to it.

Thanks Best, that was next go to option that the valve has failed or wired connections have come loose since its been installed and so the valve isnt sending or is unable to send a signal to the pump.

I'm currently trying to get someone in to look at it. I'm competent in wiring but for peace of mind would rather get a professional in.

Thanks Best, that was next go to option that the valve has failed or wired connections have come loose since its been installed and so the valve isnt sending or is unable to send a signal to the pump.

I'm currently trying to get someone in to look at it. I'm competent in wiring but for peace of mind would rather get a professional in.

check your pump settings and ensure its not air locked

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Upstairs heating issue in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

I am trying to workout in what order my radiators heat up in order to then balance them. I am able to figure out which radiator pipe is the flow/return on each radiator so that I can then grab the right pipe to check which heats up first. There has been an extension done on this house at some...
Replies
Views
Hi, I have just had my central heating system "upgraded" for a four bed-roomed detached house. The heating company recommended going from the open vented system to sealed / pressurized system, new pump ( UPS3 Grundfos ) all new plastic pipework ( extending ) the 22mm feed and return pipes so no...
Replies
Views
M
I've got a heating boiler which heats up the water in a tank located in a cupboard upstairs and then from there I get hot water & hearing. I get hot water ok but the heating doesn't come on when turning the thermostat to a higher temperature. I've got a 2 way motorized diverter valve which would...
Replies
Views
Hi, I have 3 port value for HW & CH. Loft extension added many years ago so they added a T to go upstairs, only 2 rads up but 11 downstairs covering at leave twice the floor area As per diagram has free flow Up or Down, no way to balance. Works pretty well but last few Rads (in kitchen) are...
Replies
Views
D
Hi. Turned my heating on for the 1st time today, i bled every radiator as haven't done it since last winter. upstairs worked fine but an hour or 2 later I noticed downstairs was still cold. I looked for some advice online and turned the trv's off and locksheilds for the upstairs only and...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock