Discuss under sized boiler ??? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
My parents house needs 29kw heat, it has two unventeds, a 250 and 300 litre.

boiler is 32kw output. Coils are balanced as is the system and it runs it more than fine.

it has solar but thats usually pretty irrelevant when the heating is needed.

if you cant see a lockshield valve on the coil then its the path of least resistance for the system to pump to.

simple valve and extend hot water periods.

all it needs

Mmm all i was saying is worst case demand is the key to see your kw output.

adjust the clock so the hot water comes on at a time the heating is not required.

Explain to the customer that that system is not designed to work with the Randal-style clock. Use the heating system in the Canada mode, not in the Cornwall 2hours day mode.
Remove the clock on the cylinder and put a thermostat instead the clock on the heating in the coldest room.
Make sure that the heating IS ON FOR 24/7 in THERMOSTAT-controlled mode.
Water should be in 24/7 on cyl thermostat.
Buy some programmed valves, to cut out unused rooms. Get the house PROPERLY insulated.

I remeber heating the 4room semi house with 32KW ex-combi boiler modulated down to ~8KW when the outside was -7 C. inside was 19 C. Solid uninsulated walls + loft insulation.

PS: You are not going to save much with well insulated unvented cyllinder kept on the timer. So ditch it for the cyl.

PPS: Do check the condition of the boiler's heatex (esp if the boiler is older than 5-20 years, and was serviced last time 5-10 years ago), Make sure it is clean. Use a spatula/stiff brush/stick for clening the crud out of it.

Lockshield valve on the coil, balance it and job done?

I was told that under part L we should no longer fit balancing valves to cylinders. The reason being all systems should be fitted with a programmer capable of separate times for heating and hot water and this enables the full load of the boiler to be sent to the cylinder before the heating comes on. Doing this means that the boiler can be accurately sized for the heat requirements of the property and it will remain in condensing mode for longer.

Not a very good install, but could get around it by setting the hot water and heating times separately so they aren't on at the same time.

top post Matt ,

have water to heat at early morning and then late afternoon will sort it out

Am I missing something here, should not a boiler be sized for the maximum load, if it is not then you need a priority system one way or another, HWS or Heating. A bit like buying a car that does 130 mph but only downhill,on a good day,with a tailwind. I suppose most system are a compromise, if the Mega flow has a demand of say 20 Kw and the heating system is 15 kw then around 35 kw would be correct, anything less then there is a compromise, and has safegasinstall says stagger the loading, sorted!!! savvy!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
There is no requirement to allow both the heating and hot water to be run at the same time under full load. Remember, the heat loss calculated will be at -1,-3 or whatever ie 1-2 weeks a year.

The rating of the coil is irrelevant really as long as heat up time complies with part L. In reality who's checking? How often will you need to heat the entire cylinder from cold?

if you are adding the coil size to the heat loss then your massively over sizing boilers.

Sounds like this boiler was sized perfectly which makes a change.

Also, who's to say the radiators aren't over sized? Sizing a boiler should be done by heat loss of the building not radiator sizes.

if they are running out of water, the cylinder is undersized not the boiler.

The technical guy from RM cylinders insisted we allowed 9kw allowance for a 180 unvented on a recent install to achieve recovery times specified....

Am I missing something here, should not a boiler be sized for the maximum load, if it is not then you need a priority system one way or another, HWS or Heating. A bit like buying a car that does 130 mph but only downhill,on a good day,with a tailwind. I suppose most system are a compromise, if the Mega flow has a demand of say 20 Kw and the heating system is 15 kw then around 35 kw would be correct, anything less then there is a compromise, and has safegasinstall says stagger the loading, sorted!!! savvy!!!
agreed maximum load always has been always will and should be..

I hope that you guys that are advocating sizing the boilers for the combined heating and hot water loads are also correctly sizing the primaries. I'm expecting to see a lot more 28mm primaries to cylindersin the future then.

agreed maximum load always has been always will and should be..

Wyhme that should be the end of this thread but it won't be, but it won't be. People will go on about, turn this, tweak that, fit this, fit that, you are spot on, if the total loads add up to 30kW then it should be that plus some for intermittent use, yes we forgot that, intermittent use another 10% or maybe a bit more. Skimping all that time cut the cost of the job...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to under sized boiler ??? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi all Having some renovations done on ground floor and looking to get rid of / replace some of the older looking boilers on that floor (mainly...
Replies
Views
Hi all, Got a nightmare situation with a central heating system I recently adopted. It's an open vent system with a combined F&E pipe, with a...
Replies
Views
Hi All, I'm trying to work out a boiler size for a huge, four storey victorian property, part of which is already heated. I'll be adding a second...
Replies
Views
Hi, After a bit of a saga with my plumber, I need to chose boiler size as soon as possible, the plumber is not going to do any heat loss...
Replies
Views
Hi there, thanks for your time to look at this record long post!! I work on the operational management side or a small building contracting firm...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock