Discuss under sized boiler ??? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
Aw you mean have hot bath in a cold bathroom or a cold bath in a warm bathroom, electrical shower will fix that

:75:

LOL, if the cylinder is modern, it should keep warm for many, many hours. long enough for the heating to warm up :)

Non issue in my eyes, as said just vary the timings slightly. We have the same at home boiler is currently range rated to 19kW with 15 rads (in 2 zones) and 300l unvented and we have never been cold or had no hot water.

they used to say allow 2kw for the hw on vented cylinders do unvented cylinders realy need that much kw .

No, the modern unvented cylinders just have much more efficient heat exchangers so they can actually disperse more power into the water quicker. You could charge them with 2kw of heat from the boiler and for similar sized cylinders they would heat up in exactly the same time as an older vented one. Well a bit quicker actually due to better insulation but let's not split hairs!

depends on the demand if its used by a few teenagers its gonna rob the heating regardless how long it heats or keeps the heat..i do like to learn and if 20kw can can heat a big house and big cylinder I'll be fitting smaller boilers in future.

Our cheap skate new home builders installed a Potterton Promax 15 SL 15KW system boiler onto our system. It has an unvented hot water cylinder with an 18.3KW heat exchanger. There are just under 15KW of radiators in our house.

You can get away with sizing a boiler to suit the heating requirement only in a house like Ray says. The rads will not be heated for the half hour or so a modern unvented cylinder takes to recharge, in practise it will hardly be noticed.

I caveat this with there are just 2 of us in the house and we use showers only most of the time.

Our house is a 5 bedroom detached house. I would say the boiler is undersized and when we change it I will fit a 24KW system boiler but it does the job.

Last edited:
There is no requirement to allow both the heating and hot water to be run at the same time under full load. Remember, the heat loss calculated will be at -1,-3 or whatever ie 1-2 weeks a year.

The rating of the coil is irrelevant really as long as heat up time complies with part L. In reality who's checking? How often will you need to heat the entire cylinder from cold?

if you are adding the coil size to the heat loss then your massively over sizing boilers.

Sounds like this boiler was sized perfectly which makes a change.

Also, who's to say the radiators aren't over sized? Sizing a boiler should be done by heat loss of the building not radiator sizes.

if they are running out of water, the cylinder is undersized not the boiler.

Suppose its like everything, make do and change settings or get it changed..also being there and knowing if their bath people or shower, and when through the day are people using hw....

im assuming its balanced. i still believe it to be undersized but hay ho.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to under sized boiler ??? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi all Having some renovations done on ground floor and looking to get rid of / replace some of the older looking boilers on that floor (mainly...
Replies
Views
Hi all, Got a nightmare situation with a central heating system I recently adopted. It's an open vent system with a combined F&E pipe, with a...
Replies
Views
Hi All, I'm trying to work out a boiler size for a huge, four storey victorian property, part of which is already heated. I'll be adding a second...
Replies
Views
Hi, After a bit of a saga with my plumber, I need to chose boiler size as soon as possible, the plumber is not going to do any heat loss...
Replies
Views
Hi there, thanks for your time to look at this record long post!! I work on the operational management side or a small building contracting firm...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock