Discuss Trouble with offset Radiator pipes in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
C

chinniepea

I joined this forum as I am hobby DIY’er and I had trouble with some leaking radiator extensions. I got some excellent advice from members, one of which lived locally to me and was a professional plumber (Atomic Plumbing).
So when I came across another problem, which seemed impossible for me to get round I contacted Anthony directly to see if he could come out and sort out my dilemma. Being the kind chap he is he told me the solution which worked perfectly.
For most of you this will be a simple solution to a simple problem, but if like me you are a beginner then it may be of some benefit to you.
I have been changing over old imperial radiators to new metric ones and I thought my only issue was with the length of the radiators, but when I went to change one double for another I discovered that the pipes were now far too close to the wall and wouldn’t come out far enough to connect to the new radiator. The answer was of course to lift the carpets and knick out a bit of the floorboard to allow the pipes to come out far enough to fit the new larger radiator. Problem Solved!!!!:rolleyes:

no because the new rad had tappings that came out further from the wall than the old one.

I understand, once i had the same problem but the pipes where coming out of the wall, to top it off it was plastic elbows just behind the plaster board! NEVER AGIAN.... couldnt solder and not enough room for compression. Ended up using copper push fit.

I was young!! and the money was right BUT never again. took half a day fitting the right fittings!

Cant see problem, either drain system and alter pipework or freeze leg to rad and alter pipework, cant stand those rad extentions job looks shoddy with them fitted (only my opinion)

Does it matter?

It being a domestic radiator I very much doubt its going to be 22mm copper!

MicroBore - i very much doubt he would be having this problem!

Last edited by a moderator:
Does it matter?

It being a domestic radiator I very much doubt its going to be 22mm copper!

MicroBore - i very much doubt he would be having this problem!

Of course it can matter! micro bore may have some play, if its 15mm it wont have. Ive fitted 100s of new rads of different sizes and managed to adjust the pipework without draining down. Why would you advise draining down to somebody inexperienced if it wasnt needed?

Cant see problem, either drain system and alter pipework or freeze leg to rad and alter pipework, cant stand those rad extentions job looks shoddy with them fitted (only my opinion)

i agree, and the expanable ones can leak

The answer was of course to lift the carpets and knick out a bit of the floorboard to allow the pipes to come out far enough to fit the new larger radiator. Problem Solved!!!!:rolleyes:

I have not given any advice, BECAUSE THE GUY knows the answer. Simply cut away the flooing.

yorkie plumb said they look ugly, i agreed and added that the expandable ones can leak as they have a simple rubber washer type system. my post about them has yorkie plumbs post quoted, shouldnt have confused you

They guy knows the answer, but i presumed he was looking for other alternatives and hence the post. Maybe he wanted to share his solution, fair enough i suppose

am confused as well, my answer was based on pipework been 15mm not the crap microbore, but thats a different rant, i am old school.

I got confused, i thought you said that i stated that they leaked. All happened too quick :)

old rads give it away fior me, plastic to old rads dont think so, what post?

am confused as well, my answer was based on pipework been 15mm not the crap microbore, but thats a different rant, i am old school.

i prefer 15mm also, always feel more confident that the kids wont knock it , lean on rad etc and it will withstand more abuse, more robust
maybe ill replace mine with 1/2 iron!! lol

If you can see it, USE COPPER. thats my motto :)

Yep 15mm is great to work with and great for day to day life

If you can see it, USE COPPER. thats my motto :)

Yep 15mm is great to work with and great for day to day life

Essex Fitter a man after my own heart, copper on show for me everytime.

people think im odd when i suggest not boxing it in, i like the look of pipes if they are level and clipped correctly. maybe i am odd. spent my wedding admiring the pipework on the church rads, dont tell the wife!

fuzzy glad you said that i do exactly the same, thought i was odd, feel better now lol

It has took over my whole life, where ever I go i seem to find small leaks in public buildings or incorrect installations.

Even the grout on tiles and if ones 2mm out i can tell from the other side of the room! It annoys me

What i like about our work is there is a story we can all tell, we see it all in this game, could never work in a shop or factory, we see all sorts no 2 jobs same, and customers well lets just say i have met some intresting ones in my 33 years!

Customers!!! dont, i have a guy at the moment urgently needed some work doing, so i dropped a fews things and fitted him in yesterday. Now he wants to pay me monthly!

theres plenty of micro bore around thats 30 plus years old i know two housing estates from the sixties with it

maybe there was a bit of micro bore 30 years ago but it was far from the norm, plastic on heating systems in my opinion is not good either , systems dont seem to keep clean, i think air ingress is still a problem, maybe that should be saved for another post.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Trouble with offset Radiator pipes in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

I was stupid enough not to check the position of the pipes under the tiles when installing a toilet and drilled right through the center of a 16...
Replies
Views
I have had a look at previous posts and think I know the answer to this but just before I make it worse could I just check what you think about...
Replies
Views
Hi All I have a leak coming from within my Mira Elite QT shower. It seems to be flowing from behind the switching Control. Any ideas what could...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I’m replacing a concrete paving slab patio in the back yard. The original patio used 50mm deep concrete slabs on hardcore & sand. I’m...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock