Search the forum,

Discuss Toilet has large gap between it and tiled floor in the DIY Plumbing Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

I have a potential issue with a toilet on a newly tiled floor and looking for some advice on acceptable tolerances and what to do.

The back of the toilet sits at about 2mm from floor and the sides vary between 2mm - 16mm. It is a closed back on toilet base and approximately 190mm to 200mm from wall.

Should large ??shims/supports?? be used in the front of a toilet base if the height is at around 16mm or is this not a good idea?

Should I lift and relay the two lines of floor tiles to be more level to prevent this. Wary of toilet wobble causing serious issues when siliconed in if this is not corrected?

Any advice would be useful

Any pictures of what you mean ?

You’ve got options, some better than others, some reckless but I might do in my house (probably not as the tiles would be level ;)) but not in a paying customers...

Level tiles is obviously best, you need to decide how much work you want to put in.

I wouldn’t shim and silicone a 16mm gap. Hard to get a nice finish with that big a silicone bead.
However, if you were going to do it, shim and pack the gap all around with cement to ensure a solid base. That might then cause future issues removing the toilet. So don’t use too much cement and not a strong mix.

Or you could mark the outline of the pan on the tiles and use a grinder on tiles to sink the low end.....

Or grind the base of the toilet pan.....

Thanks for the quick reply and various suggestions.
This is a new bathroom installation snag I discovered recently and was trying to figure out if it is standard practice for a bathroom company ... already rocking.

I thought it looked a bit strange like the toilet was floating on a thick cloud of clear silicone with thick wedge at the front.

Thinking floor needs some grinding or cementing 🤔 or lifting 💪... I will ask the company to do something to sort it out but not sure they will so at least I know what I could do 😬

Thanks for the quick reply and various suggestions.
This is a new bathroom installation snag I discovered recently and was trying to figure out if it is standard practice for a bathroom company ... already rocking.

I thought it looked a bit strange like the toilet was floating on a thick cloud of clear silicone with thick wedge at the front.

Thinking floor needs some grinding or cementing 🤔 or lifting 💪... I will ask the company to do something to sort it out but not sure they will so at least I know what I could do 😬
Sorry you’re in this situation. I doubt they’ll be much help...hope I’m wrong.

Its a difficult one for the customer, because if they don’t know/aren't advised that the floor needs to be level or assume it will be to prevent this, then Rubbish like this is the result.

Larger companies likely use different trades for a full bathroom and there could be a lack of communication between them.

The original quote probably didn’t include redoing the subfloor, but expectations should have been set that there could be additional cost once inspected.

This typically happens because the joists nearer the centre of the room bow more than the edge. This makes a slightly slope and an unlevel toilet as the back is usually sitting on the edge joist.

The tiler should have run a level across the floor and checked. If he didn’t think he could make up a small slope with tile adhesive, work should stop and a discussion should have taken place (new sub floor/self levelling compound).

Got any pics of the bathroom?

Thanks. Communication is always the key in business. I will be going back to them and see how they approach this design failure and a very long list of critical snags including water ingress to kitchen from toilet; dripping through lights! Photos hard to do justice as very small bathroom so perspective is skewed by lense. I will give them a chance to redeem themselves as mistakes can always happen. How a company resolves them is the measure of real quality. Can only ask/communicate extra cost at the right time would not have been an issue😩.

Again thanks for your professional opinion. My amateur eye thought I was being too fussy🔍.

Last edited:

Reply to Toilet has large gap between it and tiled floor in the DIY Plumbing Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, basic question, any insight much appreciated. Looking to have an outdoor tap in my front porch fed from 15mm pex coming up from suspended floor. Pic 1 is inside porch, pex temporarily clipped to give an idea of pipe placement (ignore shoddy blockwork of booted cowboy builder!), Pic 2 is...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
The fittings below are for a mixer bar attached to a self contained shower. i.e not a wall. The attaching screws have snapped. I could get two new brackets, dismantle that existing one and start again or I could try and re attach via those screws, removing the broken ones from the plate and wall...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I'm would like to extend an existing outside tap to another point in the garden. I'm about to pour a concrete patio and was hoping to run the water line underneath. There are existing drain (and who knows what) pipes running along the same wall so I'm nervous about digging too far...
Replies
Views
Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason, we are relying on our property fitted stopcock (this is outside on our garage wall) Unfortunately turning this to the closed position only reduces...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock