Discuss time is agains't me in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
i need to remove a bath toilet and basin take the tiles off ,then re-tile ,and refit a bathroom suite in the same day,any tricks of the trade to enable me to do this,short cuts welcome.

i would fit bath and tile down onto bath, get a helping hand someone who can remove tiles while you are disconnecting old suite and who can put taps/gratings on etc while your doing something else.

hahaha youve no chance, you should be giving the tiles a good 24 hours before grouting unless you use quick setting adhesive. your deffo knackered if the customer asks you to tile it in 6 x 6 :)

That's gonna be a long day. You working on your own and how come you've only got a day?

any tricks of the trade to enable me to do this,short cuts welcome.
Start early and get a labourer.
A few years back me and a tiler and a labourer were doing 12 a week (hotels). Made some good money.

i need to remove a bath toilet and basin take the tiles off ,then re-tile ,and refit a bathroom suite in the same day,any tricks of the trade to enable me to do this,short cuts welcome.

Why do you need to do it in 1 day. If your on your own its mission impossible.

Why do you need to do it in 1 day. If your on your own its mission impossible.
landlord wanting minimum distruption to tenant,who are not from these shores and speak no english, they have a young family,i've insisted on at least two days or i can't do it.

To stand anysort of chance i would say you gonna need two of you and use rapid set adesheve, and maybe go back and grout silicone day two

Simply cannot be all done in a day, even if you were a house basher, if it was an ideal world and you could gauratee ZERO problems and you worked 12 hours you could probably fit the suite and do a basic splashback though (properly).

You can fit a suite in 2 hrs if you are up for it on a straight swap

You can fit a suite in 2 hrs if you are up for it on a straight swap

I find the toilet to be the quickest provided the soil pipe is 4 inch and the correct height, this can be a straight swap if you're lucky.

Basin, again can be simple providing the old basin wasn't one of those ones where there are two old metal brackets holding it up going right into the brick with wooden wedges (bet you've fitted a few of those tamz?) by the time you've eased them out you've pulled half the wall down(1/2 day gone making good) and the waste isn't too high going through the wall.

The bath for me is the killer if you are in a rush, if open vented system the gate valve will always be defective so you need to bung/drain and fit a 22mm lever valve, remove bath to find rotten floorboards which need replacing (clocks ticking), customer bought mixer taps so full bore non return valve needs to be fitted if the cold is mains. Bath needs supporting, waste fitting needs some silicone/plumbers mait etc, feet screwing down and sealing against wall, then you start with the paper thin bath panel.

providing the old basin wasn't one of those ones where there are two old metal brackets holding it up going right into the brick with wooden wedges (bet you've fitted a few of those tamz?) by the time you've eased them out you've pulled half the wall down(1/2 day gone making good) and the waste isn't too high going through the wall.

Towel hanger brackets we called them and i have fitted a fair few of them but the we had moved on from wooden battens and "dooks" when i started. we had cut to size rawlplugs that came in foot lengths lol.
A tip for filling in holes.
Get a bag of finish plaster and open the bag then leave it to the damp. After a few weeks when you need a hole filled quick it will set in 5 minutes.

I always start with the bath. If you are in a hurry drop it to the old tap connectors and cut the panel to suit. The waste will always be easy enough to work in.
basins are simple with flexi's and leave the pan to last unless you need it earlier as it can be kicked in in 10 minutes as you say.
My horse is out in the field having the night off lol

Smells like a set-up to me. Do most of the work, then get thrown off the job for not meeting your commitment, then struggle to get paid for a b****y hard days graft.
TerryH

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to time is agains't me in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

I was stupid enough not to check the position of the pipes under the tiles when installing a toilet and drilled right through the center of a 16...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4...
Replies
Views
The fittings below are for a mixer bar attached to a self contained shower. i.e not a wall. The attaching screws have snapped. I could get two new...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Ideal Logic 24, Previous problem was that the hot water was only cold or barely warm if the heating was in use. If heating was off and boiler cold...
Replies
Views
Hi bit of a weird issue, I installed a grohe bathroom tap successfully 2 months ago bought from screwfix. Last week the right hand hot tap makes...
Replies
Views
Back