Discuss Time estimate? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
i got 6.5 days without seeing the job!
amazing how people dont realise whats involved in this job. heres a rad throw it on the wall and stick a bit of pipe in!

just spent 3 weeks doing a boiler and 10 rad upgrade which i put down to 5-6 days because of other trades in the way and not ready. coupled with that of 2 hours driving time each day to do 4 hours work in bits(6hr) i was billing for the day and loss of time!!
offer me 5 days pay and i would start ripping out...

What gets me is they want to pay penuts and then complain at the quality of the installation nothing straight no clips etc :)

Also hate it when a bad spark goes first and takes the easiest route and buffers your route up

Builders should generally mind their own business. It is not the length of time, within reason, that matters, but if the work will be right.
Most builders usually charge plenty and take a cut on other trades work and materials, plus they do each job in their own timescale to the detriment of other trades, but yet they often object to plumbers charges and hours taken for jobs.
If the plumbers workmanship is good, then he deserves paying. If you went to court and told a judge that the plumber should have done the job in less days, the judge would ask you how you come to that conclusion and what plumbing qualifications you have. Judge would require a plumbing expert to represent you as you would not be deemed capable of knowing how long plumbing should take and also any contract if one existed. You still would highly likely lose.
I often take an embarrassingly long time to do some jobs, but on the jobs I didn't slacken, the hours were obviously needed for my standard of workmanship.

Last edited:
I used to do a full heating job normally in occupied, fully carpeted and furnished homes.
All done in copper and no compromise by cutting any corners.
It nearly always took over a week to do even the smallest homes, with or without help, but some people thought that slow. They just don't see the work involved.
Rude, when you think of it for anyone not a plumber to say you are slow at your work. It is really saying you are ,inexperienced or incompetent or just lazy.
I wonder what people of other professions would think if I said their time to do their daily work should be cut in half, as it is really easy work?

Everybody does! People think any plumbing task, no matter what, is "just a quick job"... :D

I have to laugh when I am asked to do a hard full days work and customer says they will be home at 3.30 to let me do the job! :smile:

how is it you can take your car in for a new wing and spray after a minor scuff and it takes the 4 days to do?

even i can do that job in a day!!!!!

Chalk it up as lessen learned. If he worked 10 days then he needs paying that amount. I would not be pleased if some know all builder undermined me to a customer. Nor would I appreciate a customer dictating how long a job would take.

It's really none of the customers business how long a job takes and if you had no agreement up front then you haven't a leg to stand on. Should have got a quote to include timescales and cost. That's how you decide on which contractor to use.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Time estimate? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hello all I have had an extension built which will have 3 radiators to the big main room, a utility sink and a shower room (ground works, waste...
Replies
Views
We have a utility room with a washing machine but no sink. Wife wants sink. There is room to fit one and the waste will connect to wahing machine...
Replies
Views
Hi all I really need some help or advise….. Back story….. Some years ago my dad had an extension to his house which included a newly built...
Replies
Views
Hi, I am in need of an experienced plumber for the following jobs: bathroom: Remove exisiting toilet. Fix new toilet. Fix new wash basin and...
Replies
Views
Hello hello,, Hoping there are some experts or experienced Bulgarian plumbing chaps in this site ?. Here in the UK I can fit a bathroom just with...
Replies
Views

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock