Users can remove all display ads (not sponsors) for a small fee. Click for info (must be logged in)

Discuss Thermal store pumping over from wood burner-recommendations requested in the UK Plumbing Forum | Plumbing Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

B

baldchris

I'm looking for help with an open vented central heating system that is pumping over. We have a thermal store that has two heat sources - gas central heating, and a wood burner - both feeds are pumped with a Wilo Smart A 25/4-130 circulation (one pump per feed). When the wood burner kicks in (when water is 75 degrees), the water pumped into the thermal store is pumped over into the feed and expansion tank. We don't get the problem with the gas central heating feed.
The wood burner pump is set to the lowest control mode - the gas to the highest. I can't raise the F&E tank higher, nor the vent into the F&E tank.
The only option, I think, is to install a 'weaker' pump for the wood burner. The only reason this has a pump at all, is because there is quite a long, near horizontal feed into the thermal store, so there was a fear that gravity alone would be insufficient. So, my thoughts are that if I more gently pump the water into the store, then it is less likely to pump over (or this could expose my poor grasp of physics!).
So the questions are - do I have any other options - and if I change the pump, are there any recommendations? As you can tell from my explanation, I am not qualified in this area, but I have a vague grasp of the issue!
Thanks for any advice!

Reply to Thermal store pumping over from wood burner-recommendations requested in the UK Plumbing Forum | Plumbing Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hello, I have just installed a vented McDonald 250L thermal store, it is for multi fuel but currently just connected to a standard oil boiler in...
Replies
Views
My central heating is run off a heat pump ( air to water ) quite expensive to run , So I’m plainning to fit a wood burning with a back boiler to...
Replies
Views
Hi, I am getting my old hot water cylinder tank replaced (my property has no boiler as it is a full electric property). My plumber suggested...
Replies
Views
Hi all, Just a quick question. I have a log burner and a gas boiler on a dual fuel system (Central heating and Hot Water) either can do both. The...
Replies
Views
Would it possible to connect an air source heat pump into 2 UFH (unused) ports on a thermal store? The property is heated by oil and a wood...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock