Discuss The reason I don't use flexis... in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
system3 i think you protest too much............your van must be full of flexis and pushfits, its all in the name...........

plumbing systems-

system 1 ----- lead
system 2 ----- copper
SYSTEM 3 ----- FLEXI FLEXI FLEXI........... :tounge_smile:

KJ

Last edited by a moderator:
i put this question (to use or not to use flexis) to mu tutor at college. his answer was, 'why would you spend years at college pulling bends in copper pipe to then go and use a nasty flexi hose in someones house'. this isnt my argument as i havnt got the experience to even take part, i just thought id share my tutor's view.

I#m pretty sure, the more I think about it, that the reason I use flexi's is because it's quicker and more lucrative than copper.

That hits the nail right on the head. Flexi's and plastics save time and time is money.

I still won't use flexis unless they come with the taps or it is a btw pan or plastics unless it is virtually impossible to run a copper pipe through the space without major disruption.

Maybe i'm old fashioned but i take pride in what i do and the materials i use. Plumbing is easy, Most people could use plastics and flexis without any skills. However i believe when i leave a job the customer can look at it and know he /she has had a professional job done and can see the quality they are paying for. The same can not be said for flexi's and plastics.

Sadly, I find most of the public are totally ignorant of what materials a plumber uses. Oddly, they often will pay high prices for an unprofessional job. A job that uses plastic plumbing & flexis should be much cheaper for the customer, IMO, otherwise there is no point a plumber bothering to use copper.

well just now i have had 3 jobs in the last two weeks that i have been out to leaks on heating or leaks in lofts because plastic has been used, Mice are eating the pipes as there looking for places to nest just now a real pain in the bum but pays the wages

I had a call to a house in Kilsyth last year where a room in the top floor of the house was like a waterfall. Mice were having a banquet on the plastic pipework in the attic.
Even the cleanest, most expensive houses can have mice at one time or another and they just love eating plastic pipe.

It's interesting that no plastic pipe manufacturer has come up with a solution to this problem.

Plastic pipe manufacturers probably don't like to broadcast the problem of rodents eating pipes. Small print says, not suitable for places with rodents. That could mean anywhere! They also won't like the dangers of too hot water destroying the pipes, when a boiler overheats.

They also won't like the dangers of too hot water destroying the pipes, when a boiler overheats.
That happened to me last year and a plastic joint blew into orbit. Once was enough and won't use it again.

That happened to me last year and a plastic joint blew into orbit. Once was enough and won't use it again.

At a boiler today, that the control stat failed & the plastic flow pipe disintegrated in several places - even 4 metres from boiler! This does, & will happen, occasionally,- this is the third job I have seen with same thing. Had it have been copper - then no problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to The reason I don't use flexis... in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi my toilet is leaking both from the water inlet and from the existing copper piping. I'm usually quite handy and many many years ago, I replaced...
Replies
Views
Hi all. I'm looking at replacing the my ageing copper sealed CH system pipework using, dare I say it, Buteline. I'm a reasonably competent DIY'er...
Replies
Views
Hi All, Today was sat at home and heard a pop from the kitchen, went in there and had water gushing everywhere from a burst on the flexible hose...
Replies
Views
After drywall removed: And after removing skirting, insulation, and dabs (Architrave cutter, chisels): Just wanted to post of few points on my...
Replies
Views
Hi DIYer here. I had to repalce a mixer shower in an emergency. There were rigid pipes in place before which I would have liked to re-use but...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock