Search the forum,

Discuss Tap won’t turn off with new tap gland in the Bathrooms, Showers and Wetrooms area at PlumbersForums.net

I purchased 2x 1/2” tap gland for my basin because the hot one was faulty.

I had to turn the stopcock of in the kitchen.

I also had to turn off the mains on the pavement outside.

I replaced the glands and the hot is working fine.

But the cold tap does not turn off at all, with the new gland or even with the old gland?

The cold tap was always working, I have no idea why it will no longer turn off - help!

I’ve turned off the stopcock for now.

Are these quarter turn ceramic disc or plain old washers?
If washers, did you check there were no bits of washer left on the valve seat in the tap?
Also did you check the valve seat does not have any erroded spots on it, should be nice and clean?

If ceramic, the seal on the bottom of the old cartridge may have fallen into the tap

I don’t think they are quarter turn, I have attached a picture.

I’m going to run the check and see if the old washer is stuck on there like you have suggested and I’ll let you know, thanks!

Attachments

• F223D84A-3706-4721-A1F0-ED802B4B8DFF.jpeg
    F223D84A-3706-4721-A1F0-ED802B4B8DFF.jpeg
    866.6 KB · Views: 9

Reply to Tap won’t turn off with new tap gland in the Bathrooms, Showers and Wetrooms area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi bit of a weird issue, I installed a grohe bathroom tap successfully 2 months ago bought from screwfix. Last week the right hand hot tap makes a squeak noise as I turn it on or off, left tap is 100% perfect and noiseless. This grohe tap is like one unit, so no screw notch or way I can remove...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I'm would like to extend an existing outside tap to another point in the garden. I'm about to pour a concrete patio and was hoping to run the water line underneath. There are existing drain (and who knows what) pipes running along the same wall so I'm nervous about digging too far...
Replies
Views
Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason, we are relying on our property fitted stopcock (this is outside on our garage wall) Unfortunately turning this to the closed position only reduces...
Replies
Views
Hello plumbers in my internet. So the Mrs want a spray mixer tap in the kitchen as we had two separate taps. I changed the tap for a temporary two hole mixer but the cold water pressure is high mains fed and the hot is low pressure immersion tank fed. I've been trying to find info on what I...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock