Search the forum,

Discuss taking off boiler cover in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
C

cjonesguitar

Hi guys' quick question who is actually allowed to take off a boiler cover? i always though recently you had to be even corgi registered to do this...

second question... whos job would you say it was to put the correct room stat on? one heating guy really annoyed me off recently...

I would say it depends on the boiler. If the cover is also the combustion chamber cover then you should be gsr to remove.

But one of the gsr guys will confirm or blow me out the water :)

I agree with above

Room stat wise I'd get a heat eng to do it. Sparks are clueless (in general) when it comes to central heating wiring

its difficult if you get a electrician... how does he know if he can touch the boiler... my room stat wasnt working was wrong completely

had a drayton combi-stat wire into biasi 24s as two wire (should have been 3wire or a volt-free stat as combi stat needs 24 volt)

i found out this info from manufactures... the heating guy didnt have a clue... i e-mailed him after paying him that eh should know this info... he really annoyed me. he basically put the wrong stat on.

i honestly had no clue what was wrong just the stat didnt work properly...

he did nothing i had to fix the problem by getting on to manufactures.

in the end i did it... i acturally didnt know who to contact sparky/electrician.

its difficult if you get a electrician... how does he know if he can touch the boiler... my room stat wasnt working was wrong completely

had a drayton combi-stat wire into biasi 24s as two wire (should have been 3wire or a volt-free stat as combi stat needs 24 volt)

i found out this info from manufactures... the heating guy didnt have a clue... i e-mailed him after paying him that eh should know this info... he really annoyed me. he basically put the wrong stat on.

Sounds like in-experience on his part

yes the way i see it its his fault... he owe me (not that im going to get it back) ÂŁ70quid... i wasnt that what annoyed me he acted like he wanted nothing to do with it.... i was easy on him as i was unsure myself.... thats when i e-mailed company. his e-mail back wasnt even supporting me when i said he was in the wrong.

of course he wouldn't put in writing that he was in the wrong

another thing these are really common makes.... i acturally think a few people could have got this wrong dont know why just seems abit unclear....

Last edited by a moderator:
why not thats better customer service

Hi,

Over the years I found that standing in front of a customer and putting my hands up over a simple mistake did as you point out amount to good customer relations, in fact it usually brought more business as I would be the one to find the error, this showed the customer the guarantee was in fact real.

Sadly to admit to an error today especially in writing can open up all sorts of liability issues that believe it or not could make our insurance invalid as it could be seen as accepting liability for something, that in today's market is the job of the insurer.

As an "Old School" business we have about five conditions in our guarantee, no need for an A4 page in tiny print, one of those conditions is the guarantee is void if the system / work is interfered with or worked by anyone other than an employee or representative of our company.

As you can see the written word means a lot because if we did the job by acting on your own initiative you just voided the guarantee, of course if you rang me and said the stat wasn't working and you think you know where the mistake was we would have changed it and thanked you for working with us by offering a free service when due.

Unfortunate but we live in different times to our fore fathers.

Last edited:
Yes just think how annoying it is having to redo a job yourself that an professional was suppose to spot.... what annoyed me i sort of knew what was wrong... and was hoping he also would spot it... i only sort of knew.

So he basically did he nothing.... i actually started to dough that i was wrong and the stat was fine.... then i got confirmation from Biasi and Drayton that actually no it's got a 24v stat on instead of volt-free.

I spoke to a mate of mine who 25/26 unfortunately after it had been done.... i couldn't get hold of him before. Straight away he know problem "you need a battery operated one or 3wire - definitely" But he is a sparky...

Corgi registered

If you're corgi registered you shouldn't be working on a boiler as your registration has expired and been replaced with the Gas Safe Register

The way i see it the basic rule of thumb is that if you have to use tools to carry out a task on the boiler then it could be classed as working on the appliance and therefore you must be gas safe to carry out this work. If that makes any sense??

This combi stat can be wired as a 2 wire if I remember correctly.
We fit these all the time and the elec wires them with 2 wires.
Never had any customer say they don't work and have always work fine when I test them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to taking off boiler cover in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason, we are relying on our property fitted stopcock (this is outside on our garage wall) Unfortunately turning this to the closed position only reduces...
Replies
Views
Hi guys. I'm trying to identify a toilet model before ordering a seat for a customer. I went to what used to be a Roca stockist (they no longer are) and one of the guys there reckoned it might be "The Gap". I went to the new stockist and the guy there disagreed it was "The Gap" and that he'd...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock