Search the forum,

Discuss System or Combi in local pub? in the Central Heating Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

Irrespective of the rad sizes, if they are not getting hot then no room heat.
You say 40mm piping, a system with a 42kw boiler with a rad dT of 12C will require a flow rate of 50LPM, 3.0M3/Hr, even if all the rads were located at the very end of a 50M run (100M total) the pipe friction losses are ~ 3M, a 8M pump will flow 50LPM @ a 6M head and assuming the boiler pump is similar to a UPS3, this pump will flow 50LPM @ a 2.8M head, maybe be worth looking at the boiler hx loss at a flow of 50 LPM, also condition of 40mm piping.

To clarify, the extra 25/80 pump has been installed in the heat output line from the boiler so
it sucks from the boiler pump? Does that sound stupid? The boiler pump and the new pump send the pressure to the two zones via the 42mm pipework in the loft down to the rads below. I think that there was always a problem with the Concorde Boiler in getting the furthest rads hot.

Yes so In series

To clarify, the extra 25/80 pump has been installed in the heat output line from the boiler so
it sucks from the boiler pump? Does that sound stupid? The boiler pump and the new pump send the pressure to the two zones via the 42mm pipework in the loft down to the rads below. I think that there was always a problem with the Concorde Boiler in getting the furthest rads hot.
The pumps as you describe are in series and this can cause a number of problems. Some means of separation is needed and I explained what that is in an above comment.
There’s only so much we can advise you through a website on a phone or laptop etc and we have. You need to contact several reputable firms both qualified and experienced in these scenarios and explain your problem and the advise you’ve had here.

Its certainly unconventional but I'd venture that there are systems with pumps installed like this and working OK, as pointed out above, two different head pumps in "series" may cause one to fight the other, they are really not in series in accepted pump jargon where both pumps are installed one immediately behind the other, but generally one would then install one pump with the required head.
In your case, the boiler circ pump pumps from the return, through the boiler Hx and then supplies the 8M pump.
I would suggest trying to establish what the flow rate is from other data to hand, the boiler flow and return temps and the boiler output, is all you need but these three values arn't often available from the boiler display but the flow/return temps can be measured on the pipes which will give some info at any rate, the boiler output is more difficult but if both zones are open then maybe can get a good idea. If that 8m pump displays its power in watts? (W) then flow rate can be derived exactly, from the pump curves.

Thank you for all the responses. They are waiting for a Navien engineer to attend to replace
the heat exchanger under guarantee? Why does that need replacing?
In the meantime the boiler pressure can only be supplied if the cold water pressure supply is
being balanced by the pressure valve constantly sending cold water supply to the outflow
resulting in hundreds of gallons being wasted every day. I thought it was a local offence
to waste water? it is the only way he can get heating in the pub.
What a mess.

Are you saying that the Boiler PRV (safety valve) is lifting at 3 bar and discharging water which then has to be replaced with cold water?

Are you now saying the plate heat exchanger for HW has failed and the PRV is lifting?
If so then yes you will be losing water but hundreds of gallons a day I highly doubt.
This seems to be getting worse and worse. You need a reputable engineer to go over the whole system. I’m not going to read or comment on this thread further. We’ve given you the advice you need, you now need to get someone out who actually knows a thing or two.

Are you saying that the Boiler PRV (safety valve) is lifting at 3 bar and discharging water which then has to be replaced with cold water?
Yes, stupid isn't it! They are going to replace the heat exchanger so it seems. Several seals have burst causing water leaks since installation. What mess. I find it difficult to accept the inept performance and lack of knowledge from the installers.

Do you absolutely know that the "bursting" seals are on the central heating side ?, strange, because if so, the boiler PRV, in lifting at 3bar, should prevent just such a occurance, if the problem is coming from the DHW side then it would mean a extremely high mains pressure which hasn't a pressure reducing valve (PRV) installed.

Its certainly unconventional but I'd venture that there are systems with pumps installed like this and working OK, as pointed out above, two different head pumps in "series" may cause one to fight the other, they are really not in series in accepted pump jargon where both pumps are installed one immediately behind the other, but generally one would then install one pump with the required head.
In your case, the boiler circ pump pumps from the return, through the boiler Hx and then supplies the 8M pump.
I would suggest trying to establish what the flow rate is from other data to hand, the boiler flow and return temps and the boiler output, is all you need but these three values arn't often available from the boiler display but the flow/return temps can be measured on the pipes which will give some info at any rate, the boiler output is more difficult but if both zones are open then maybe can get a good idea. If that 8m pump displays its power in watts? (W) then flow rate can be derived exactly, from the pump curves.
Thank you for all your input. It is appreciated. The system is still under performing. Now waiting for Navien engineers assessment of the situation. This should not be so when the customer has spent £3000 with professionals?

Reply to System or Combi in local pub? in the Central Heating Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hello, I am seeking some advice, I have a POTTERTON PROMAX 28 COMBI Boiler and I noticed yesterday that the water around the house is no longer warming up. The heat exchanger has been changed 6 months ago, so I do not believe it is that. Does anyone have any ideas on what it could be? Thanks
Replies
Views
We run a community village hall and have a large kitchen provided for the use of hirers. This includes a Lincat SLR9 gas cooker which I believe is a 23.8Kw appliance with all six burners and oven on max. This was installed some 10 years ago and has passed all subsequent Gas Safety inspections as...
Replies
Views
My son has an apprenticeship interview for to become a plumber and heating engineer. The have said there will be a multiple choice exam for this for suitability. The thing is my son panics during tests/exams. Is there any book I can buy him to practice the multiple choice test for the exam? What...
Replies
Views
I have a green star ten yrs old keeps increasing pressure, feel on off filling valve not working, drain off to recommended, but after few days it's increased whilst cold...is this a regular problem.
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock