Discuss system lifespan in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

hammers4spanner

Esteemed
Plumber
Gas Engineer
Subscribed
whats peoples opinions on boiler life spans and when they think old systems should be ripped out and upgraded? Had a general converstaion last night about this with differing opinion from another gas safe installer .
I have always said
Combis 10- 15 years life span then possible newbie ( depending if its a lemon)
System and regular boilers 15 plus years as long as its been looked after serviced etc .

Radiator and pipework renewed i always think 20 years or so e.g sytem install in the 80's then cant see know harm in full upgrade

i know you can make do mend with power flushes etc but at some point systems do need upgrading

The other gs installer rreckons combis 10 years and always convert old systems to sealed for ease ,,,

any have different opinions??

You can't say, it depends on how it was installed, serviced and looked after

You can't say, it depends on how it was installed, serviced and looked after

Totally agree. last year I replaced a programmer on a system circa 1960. The boiler, rads and pipework are all running like they had been installed last week.

plenty of 30 years plus systems out there my brothers house is 30 year since i piped it and his rads were second hand then i think they are at least 45 years old from the style and always on open vented systems with no inhibitor his had 2 boilers in that time o/f pottertons niether of which was new, the one thats in now laid in his cellar for 18 years awaiting its call to active service

Some systems are like new inside ( pipes & rads ) yet 30 year old or more. Depends on the way it was installed, & if inhibitor added. Obviously if the system is a shoddy job in the first place, or has been designed wrong, then better to repipe. Only thing with old but good systems in new condition is the need to upgrade to full controls.
IMO, heating systems, especially sealed systems, should last a lifetime.

I service an old vulcan OF boiler every year ! still runs very well , same as system, will need a new pump this year, but everything working fine, Boiler over 40 years old.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to system lifespan in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

We run a community village hall and have a large kitchen provided for the use of hirers. This includes a Lincat SLR9 gas cooker which I believe is...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4...
Replies
Views
We are from Alberta, and I own an electrical company. I have been asked by a BC Mechanical P. Eng. to install an emergency STOP button at the...
Replies
Views
I was stupid enough not to check the position of the pipes under the tiles when installing a toilet and drilled right through the center of a 16...
Replies
Views

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock