Discuss Soil pipe problem on single storey extension in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

geriatrix

My son has bought a house which has a rear single storey extension. The soil pipe from the loo etc rises to just the height of the eaves of the extension and stops. This looks like bad news, and is probably illegal.

His plumber suggested fitting am air admittance valve to the top of it, but I thought these could only be used internally because of the possibility of freezing.

2011-07-01 13.56.07.jpg

Not really sure what to do. Is there a filter or something that can be attached to the top instead of a valve, or would it be permissible to make a right angle to take pipe over the extension roof, and then another right angle to take it up to the required height on the main building.

Thanks for any suggestions - looks like he's bought a whole load of trouble......

DaviD J

Cut it back a bit 2 135 elbows, bit of pipe and birdcage on top. Then you'll need to replace that cut soffitt.

If you want to do things 'by the book' the regs say (from memory!) if the stack terminates within 3m of an opening into the building it should be extended to at least 900mm above it. Do not use an air admittance valve - as you suspect they can freeze. A birdcage is all you need. Jonathan, That Extra Mile Heating and Plumbing, London

Cut it back a bit 2 135 elbows, bit of pipe and birdcage on top. Then you'll need to replace that cut soffitt.

Thanks, but surely i'll have to get the pipe across the extension and up the side of the main house, in order to vent above the second storey windows?

No, he wasn't. And he was meant to come back on site today, but never showed up!

:eek:mg_smile: typical eh:)

"Thanks, but surely i'll have to get the pipe across the extension and up the side of the main house, in order to vent above the second storey windows?"

Unless someone in the house has a neck like a giraffe see post 5 for why you don't need to.

as above

What the reg's state is that if the pipes' proximity to the window is within three meters then that pipe needs to finish at least 900mm above that window. If it is greater than 3m then it can terminate lower.

:eek:mg_smile: typical eh:)

"Thanks, but surely i'll have to get the pipe across the extension and up the side of the main house, in order to vent above the second storey windows?"

Unless someone in the house has a neck like a giraffe see post 5 for why you don't need to.

Oh OK. I was just a bit worried about fumes/smells getting in to the windows on the first floor. I suppose that they'll disperse fairly swiftly though.

Thanks you all for your quick help, seems like it's not the huge problem I thought it was. Cheers.

just for info dergos can be used externally but only poly pipe make one which complys with building control,and you have to glue its polystyrene cap on so it looks crap imho,but i agree a birds nest is all thats need here

just for info dergos can be used externally but only poly pipe make one which complys with building control,and you have to glue its polystyrene cap on so it looks crap imho,but i agree a birds nest is all thats need here

I didn't realise any could be used outside - thanks. If fitting one do you know if the 3m/900mm rule can be ignored? If gases can't escape then there should be no problem with it being close to an opening or window?

I think there's also a reg that says the vent at the top of the run should always be open. Can the Polypipe Dergo be fitted here?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Soil pipe problem on single storey extension in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock