Discuss Shower cartridge removal help. in the USA area at PlumbersForums.net

Hi
I have no hot wster coming through the shower. I have hot water at the sink taps. I have stripped my thermostatic shower down to replace the cartridge. But i cannot undo the large housing. I dont know if it is supposed to unscrew or am i wiggling it out? Can anyone advise on how i can get this out? The bottom adjuster is the temperature and the top one is flow amount.
View attachment 43596

IMG_20200427_190044.jpg

Stop right there, looks like you are starting to muller that hexagon and if you carry on without the correct tools things will only get worse.

1. Some of these have an Allen grub screw underneath the outside of the valve housing. So at about 6 o'clock on your photograph.
2. A very few are left hand threaded.
3. Try as follows:
3a. Remove Allen grub screw (if any).
3b. Make a chute up of aluminium foil and push it up under the valve. Pour very hot (not boiling) water over the valve using the chute to guide the water away from behind the tiles.
3c. Try turning it both ways. Use a close fitting spanner, not grips or pliers.

1. Some of these have an Allen grub screw underneath the outside of the valve housing. So at about 6 o'clock on your photograph.
2. A very few are left hand threaded.
3. Try as follows:
3a. Remove Allen grub screw (if any).
3b. Make a chute up of aluminium foil and push it up under the valve. Pour very hot (not boiling) water over the valve using the chute to guide the water away from behind the tiles.
3c. Try turning it both ways. Use a close fitting spanner, not grips or pliers.
Ok thanks i will check tonight.

1. The large outside collar won't undo.
2. Turn the hexagon just in front of the larger set of splines.
3. Will probably undo on a right hand thread (turn anti-clockwise as you face it).
4. Just might be on a left hand thread.
5. Use a close fitting spanner. Don't use pliers or grips. A decent adjustable spanner should be OK. Don't do any more damage to the hexagon.

Reply to Shower cartridge removal help. in the USA area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

This is driving me bonkers! I have a Jaquar shower mixer unit - which has started to leak from the diverter cartridge. I think it's an early...
Replies
Views
A
I'm replacing the shower cartridge on my Bristan 1901 Thermostatic Exposed Dual Control Shower (Top Outlet). I have removed the cap and screw but...
Replies
Views
AlexTTT
A
I've just replaced an Ultra SASF2 – M thermostatic shower cartridge together with the spring mechanism and the temperature sensor. My problem is...
Replies
Views
Hello. My mixer shower (non-electric) recently started running luke warm. I know this can happen at this time of year over winter but I've been in...
Replies
Views
I'm attempting to replace an ultra SASF2 – M thermostatic shower cartridge but, having removed the temperature control knob from the housing that...
Replies
Views
Back