Search the forum,

Discuss Semi gravity open vented heating system this system has no zone valves. in the Plumbing Zone area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

Inverness

Plumbers Arms member
Plumber
Gas Engineer
Im replacing boiler for like to like but with a bypass valve and two motorised valves. Since the new boiler has a flow and return unlike the old boiler that had four tappings. Could I tee the vent Pipe into the cold feed pipe?
where the vent pipe is ATM is before the flow goes into the coil to cylinder. So if I have the heating on only the vent pipe won't be in use. Any suggestions.

Last edited:
go and have a good read of your text books, youll need to ensure your neutral point is set up correctly for the pump so overspill doesnt occur. Why havent you considered using a systm boiler and pressurising the system, it will work better on the heating circuit side.

Down load some manufacturers instructions, the location of the pump, cold feed and vent are very important.

why not upgrade it to a fully pumped system

why not upgrade it to a fully pumped system

I think it is fully pumped, I think the gravity he's referring to is the f and e tank.
They don't make boilers suitable for Gravity now anyway.

I think it is fully pumped, I think the gravity he's referring to is the f and e tank.
They don't make boilers suitable for Gravity now anyway.

with it having no zone valves think hot water is on gravity (esp when hes asking about 4 port boilers)

My mistake, Ive just re read it. Sounds like a disaster waiting to happen.

also time for new cylinder me thinks :D

Im replacing boiler for like to like but with a bypass valve and two motorised valves. Since the new boiler has a flow and return unlike the old boiler that had four tappings. Could I tee the vent Pipe into the cold feed pipe?
where the vent pipe is ATM is before the flow goes into the coil to cylinder. So if I have the heating on only the vent pipe won't be in use. Any suggestions.

In an earlier post you said you are training to be gas safe, why are you doing this job?

I'm doing my svq3 plumbing and heating and I'm in my 2nd year. The customer is only wanting a replacement boiler only and 14 trvs on all rads. It's an old farm house about 25 years old central heating pipes. I wouldn't want to take the chance to pressurise this system. The pump is replacing the same position as the old one.

I would love to install a new cylinder but it's the customers money.

I'm doing my svq3 plumbing and heating and I'm in my 2nd year. The customer is only wanting a replacement boiler only and 14 trvs on all rads. It's an old farm house about 25 years old central heating pipes. I wouldn't want to take the chance to pressurise this system. The pump is replacing the same position as the old one.

You still need to bring it up to building regs and best place for your port valves would be by the cylinder and not the boiler

Last edited:
I have installed a cylinder stat and one zone valve for the hot water and a zone valve for the central heating. Also a bypass valve. And a room stat. Any other suggestions?

I have installed a cylinder stat and one zone valve for the hot water and a zone valve for the central heating. Also a bypass valve. And a room stat. Any other suggestions?

You checked one rad isn't run off the hot water side ?

He takes his exams in a years time so no he isnt!!!!!!!!!!!!! No mention of a mentor which I find somewhat worrysome

My boss has his gas safe ticket. Lpg and heatas. The only reason I ask stuff from you is so I can understand edbetter as I ddon't like it when my boss gets grumpy when I ask questions that I don't understand. I'm currently doing a svq3
in plumbing and heating my 3rd year will be when I sit to do my gas safe.

My boss has his gas safe ticket. Lpg and heatas. The only reason I ask stuff from you is so I can understand edbetter as I ddon't like it when my boss gets grumpy when I ask questions that I don't understand. I'm currently doing a svq3
in plumbing and heating my 3rd year will be when I sit to do my gas safe.

Don't want to sound mean but why you with him if he gets grumpy / you can't ask him advice, and he will be with you on the job so you will be fine

or if you can't, ask your tutor in collage

Last edited:
This might help and 150mm max between feed and vent

image.jpg

image.jpg

Last edited:
The college lecturers are not that great. My boss is good it's just at times i feel stupid if i need to ask more than once to understand and when i don't i ask you guys.

I don't seen any problem coming on here for advice, but if your boss gets grumpy with you because you ask questions multiple times, I don't think he's very good at training an apprentice, Also theirs no need to feel stupid for asking multiple times no one knows everything

You can always test the existing system for leaks before you go sealed system. TBH I find some of the older systems work better converting to sealed than some newer ones, maybe because some of the fittings are better quality than in recent years.

You can always test the existing system for leaks before you go sealed system. TBH I find some of the older systems work better converting to sealed than some newer ones, maybe because some of the fittings are better quality than in recent years.

Yes, tin can test. But would you get paid for it?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Semi gravity open vented heating system this system has no zone valves. in the Plumbing Zone area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, I have a Worcester 28i junior boiler that has started to lose pressure, only when using the central heating. When using hot water I have no issue, however, when running the heating the pressure drops. Im looking for some ideas on what could be causing this. I have no sign of pipe leaks...
Replies
Views
Every two weeks or so I have to go and top up the system because the hot taps are running cold. Boiler display is flashing 0.6 bar and I fill up to 1.3. I've had an engineer look inside the boiler and he can't see anything wrong. I've checked the pipes all over the house and cannot see any...
Replies
Views
P
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock