Search the forum,

Discuss Replacement soft close seat on close coupled toilet - seat won't stay up in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

tetatate

Hi
I'm new - let me know if I do anything wrong :)

I'm replacing a soft close toilet seat on a close coupled toilet but the seat won't stay up .
I think it maybe because the cistern will not let the seat open far entought ( + 90 degrees).
I seat I tried to fit was one from screwfix a make called Swirl ( I think it maybe their own make - or made speically for them).
on lifting the seat it immediatley drops about 15 degress then does it's slow descent.

I tried to contact their tech team to see if there was some adjustment withing the soft close mechanism that woiuld help but they reckoned the seat was faulty and sent me a new one - which - of course has the same issue.
I guess I need to source a seat for this particular toilet but I can't find a makers mark anywhere .
Can anyone help with advice , I'm in Bristol UK .

Thanks

Those things are a pain... I find you have to hold them up for a few seconds until the mechanism catches up & holds it there..

This one will not stay up no matter how long you hold it there.
I guess the seat and its lid need to be less deep to allow the seat and lid to lift to closer to vertical.
If I could figure out the make and model I could contact the manufacturer for advice on a suitable replacement but I can't find any makers marks ?

Only thing I can suggest is take it back for a refund, then measure how far from the connection holes the seat needs to start to enable a lean towards the cistern. Then have a drive round merchants/sheds until you find one that will do the job.
Or do as I once saw at a job, put velcro tabs on the top of the seat and put corresponding ones on the cistern to hold it up :p

Some are adjustable to increase the amount it leans back against the cistern and some have a "Torque" adjustment to adjust the speed of the soft close.

Picture the new seat showing the fixings would be a help.

Seats normally have eccentric washers to move the fixing screw center.
The screw should be as far back in the seat hole as you can get it.

Last edited:
Picture the new seat showing the fixings would be a help.

Seats normally have eccentric washers to move the fixing screw center.
The screw should be as far back in the seat hole as you can get it.

Not saying your wrong but thought it was forward to increase the lean back, anyway eccentric was the word I couldn`t remember and hopefully they can now find that perfect position required.

Hi

Thanks everyone for your suggestions.
I'll post some photos shortly.

There doesn't seem to be, an obvious, facility to adjust - I called screwfix hoping they could put me in touch with the manufacturers - they spoke with their own ( screfix's ) tech people and decided it was faulty and promptly sent me a new one - so I now have two of these seats that don't work with my cistern!

the seat lid has a quite domed top which restricts it reaching vertical - a seat with a nice flat lid would have more chance of getting close to the vertical - which I assume is the issue?

I checked out the swirl soft close seat on poofix and it doesn't look very adjustable to me, maybe you can take the fixings off (the bits that go between the seat and the toilet pan and swap them over, i.e. put the left one on the right side and vice-versa? The 'pin' part may be attached off centre so swapping them could give or take away depth where the hinge sits if you know what I mean.
If they aren't adjustable enough take them back as you're flogging a dead horse with them.
Then go to a plumbing merchants or local bathroom store (Not screwfix etc.) and talk to the guy behind the counter, he will know the exact problem you're having and be able to offer a solution.

True, the sitting position is an unnatural position for going to the toilet, watch a Gorrila curl one out and it will be a totally clean snap off.
Those you have squatted in a bucket it the back of their van will know what I mean.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Replacement soft close seat on close coupled toilet - seat won't stay up in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi all, I'm looking for a replacement toilet seat as the old one has broken and I stupidly binned the old seat before checking for a makers mark on the old seat. I've checked the bowl for any makers id but can't see one. I've attached pics of the bowl and a dimensions. Sorry for the pic that...
Replies
Views
Hi everyone. I have a top-fitting toilet seat, and one of the rubber plugs perished and the bolt just came out. Fine, I thought, I'll just replace the seat. But although one plug was already out, I can't for the life of me remove the second. It's semi-perished, so the bolt doesn't have any...
Replies
Views
Does anyone know how you get to the dampers/pistons on the Mass dynamic MD6011 soft close toilet seat, I want to re-pack them with grease as the soft close function has given up. I have enclosed a piccy of the seat in question. Thank.
Replies
Views
Hi, I'm trying to remove a knackered old Ideal Standard top fitted soft close seat but it won't budge. It looks like there are Allen bolts inside each of the metal barrels, but they won't move and the key is slipping. Short of taking a hacksaw to it, is there something I'm missing?
Replies
Views
Hello, First post, be gentle! Anyway, here's my issue. I have a Roca The Gap D-Trit close-couple toilet with integrated macerator in my secondary bathroom. In all it's a great solution for a problem location for a bathroom. However, the cistern has a typical european style side inlet pipe, and...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock