Search the forum,

Discuss Replace MagnaClean with another filter in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Background - I'm a DIYer but am comfortable with draining down systems, adding radiators and using flux and solder etc.

So I've inherited an old system in our house with a 28mm old-style MagnaClean on the return. Both isolation valves are knackered (common fault the internet tells me!) so I've decided to change the filter rather than just both the isolation valves.

I like the look of the Trappex Centramag 2 as it supposedly captures non-magnetic crud as well. However, this requires a 115mm cutout rather than the 188mm cutout of the Magnaclean. There's plenty of space vertically but not horizontally between the pipes (see pic - flow is the left pipe, return is the middle and gas supply to the boiler is on the right). What would you seasoned pros do in this situation - extend the return pipe a little with a piece of copper and a soldered coupler, just install a MagnaClean 2 (which hopefully uses the same pipe cutout size) or something else?

Thanks!

Attachments

• magna.jpg
    magna.jpg
    71.9 KB · Views: 30
Thanks, all. I hadn't realised that some of the filters have a slip coupling, so that's useful to now (they don't make a big thing about it on their websites, thought it would be a good selling point!)

Also, any pro tips about getting my spanner in between the pipes to remove/re fit compression fittings? Theres not enough "flex" in the pipes and I'd rather not have to remove a section of the pipe on the left (CH flow) to allow access to the middle pipe (CH return). I need to be careful of the pipe on the right (gas supply).

Cheers.

Background - I'm a DIYer but am comfortable with draining down systems, adding radiators and using flux and solder etc.

So I've inherited an old system in our house with a 28mm old-style MagnaClean on the return. Both isolation valves are knackered (common fault the internet tells me!) so I've decided to change the filter rather than just both the isolation valves.

I like the look of the Trappex Centramag 2 as it supposedly captures non-magnetic crud as well. However, this requires a 115mm cutout rather than the 188mm cutout of the Magnaclean. There's plenty of space vertically but not horizontally between the pipes (see pic - flow is the left pipe, return is the middle and gas supply to the boiler is on the right). What would you seasoned pros do in this situation - extend the return pipe a little with a piece of copper and a soldered coupler, just install a MagnaClean 2 (which hopefully uses the same pipe cutout size) or something else?

Thanks!
Magnaclean are the highest volume selling magnetic filter on UK market. The uk market is very crowded with these units, some come and go as a result. As you mention Trappex this is certainly a stayer with committed people behind it, it is high quality, well designed with a v strong magnet, and effective none magnetic strainer. Magnaclean do have a history of faults reported but this might be due to the sheer volume sold.
centralheatking

I'd just stick another Magnaclean on, won't the Professional 2 XP fit in the same gap?

This is probably what I'll end up doing for ease. I do fancy the idea of the Trappex to collect non-magnetic debris though. Not sure what to do - I fired off an email to Trappex to see what the maximum cutout the slip coupling can handle, want to minimise piping adjustments as pipe immediately to the right is the gas supply to boiler and not much space between the three pipes (return is the middle one in pic).

Why not install a y strainer / filter for non items ?

Why not install a y strainer / filter for non items ?

I hadn't considered one as I was lead to believe they can cause too much resistance in the return flow. Is this not the case and are they commonly used? This is for an old (15+years) 15 radiator system with lots of pipework due to the layout of the house. Mostly old copper with a couple of Speedfit runs.

Fit a magna clean pro on there it will protect the boiler and collect all manner of debris . Kop
[automerge]1572718773[/automerge]
Fit a magna clean pro on there it will protect the boiler and collect all manner of debris . Kop
works well larger particals end up in the bottom section . Cheers kop

Attachments

• 20170429_092608.jpg
    20170429_092608.jpg
    79.6 KB · Views: 9
Last edited:

Reply to Replace MagnaClean with another filter in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Every two weeks or so I have to go and top up the system because the hot taps are running cold. Boiler display is flashing 0.6 bar and I fill up to 1.3. I've had an engineer look inside the boiler and he can't see anything wrong. I've checked the pipes all over the house and cannot see any...
Replies
Views
PSxxxxxx
P
I want to reconnect some outbuildings to an existing water supply. The supply pipe is old 22mm MDPE and buried for a fair distance so not going to dig it up and replace it 😬. Question is can I use normal 22mm plumbing push-fit connectors to make the connection as finding 22mm MDPE fittings...
Replies
Views
The fittings below are for a mixer bar attached to a self contained shower. i.e not a wall. The attaching screws have snapped. I could get two new brackets, dismantle that existing one and start again or I could try and re attach via those screws, removing the broken ones from the plate and wall...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I’m replacing a concrete paving slab patio in the back yard. The original patio used 50mm deep concrete slabs on hardcore & sand. I’m planning to pour a 100mm deep concrete patio on 100mm hardcore. In order to achieve the same final height to line up with the rest of the patio, I...
Replies
Views
We run a community village hall and have a large kitchen provided for the use of hirers. This includes a Lincat SLR9 gas cooker which I believe is a 23.8Kw appliance with all six burners and oven on max. This was installed some 10 years ago and has passed all subsequent Gas Safety inspections as...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock