Search the forum,

Discuss Replace MagnaClean with another filter in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Background - I'm a DIYer but am comfortable with draining down systems, adding radiators and using flux and solder etc.

So I've inherited an old system in our house with a 28mm old-style MagnaClean on the return. Both isolation valves are knackered (common fault the internet tells me!) so I've decided to change the filter rather than just both the isolation valves.

I like the look of the Trappex Centramag 2 as it supposedly captures non-magnetic crud as well. However, this requires a 115mm cutout rather than the 188mm cutout of the Magnaclean. There's plenty of space vertically but not horizontally between the pipes (see pic - flow is the left pipe, return is the middle and gas supply to the boiler is on the right). What would you seasoned pros do in this situation - extend the return pipe a little with a piece of copper and a soldered coupler, just install a MagnaClean 2 (which hopefully uses the same pipe cutout size) or something else?

Thanks!

Attachments

• magna.jpg
    magna.jpg
    71.9 KB · Views: 29
Thanks, all. I hadn't realised that some of the filters have a slip coupling, so that's useful to now (they don't make a big thing about it on their websites, thought it would be a good selling point!)

Also, any pro tips about getting my spanner in between the pipes to remove/re fit compression fittings? Theres not enough "flex" in the pipes and I'd rather not have to remove a section of the pipe on the left (CH flow) to allow access to the middle pipe (CH return). I need to be careful of the pipe on the right (gas supply).

Cheers.

Background - I'm a DIYer but am comfortable with draining down systems, adding radiators and using flux and solder etc.

So I've inherited an old system in our house with a 28mm old-style MagnaClean on the return. Both isolation valves are knackered (common fault the internet tells me!) so I've decided to change the filter rather than just both the isolation valves.

I like the look of the Trappex Centramag 2 as it supposedly captures non-magnetic crud as well. However, this requires a 115mm cutout rather than the 188mm cutout of the Magnaclean. There's plenty of space vertically but not horizontally between the pipes (see pic - flow is the left pipe, return is the middle and gas supply to the boiler is on the right). What would you seasoned pros do in this situation - extend the return pipe a little with a piece of copper and a soldered coupler, just install a MagnaClean 2 (which hopefully uses the same pipe cutout size) or something else?

Thanks!
Magnaclean are the highest volume selling magnetic filter on UK market. The uk market is very crowded with these units, some come and go as a result. As you mention Trappex this is certainly a stayer with committed people behind it, it is high quality, well designed with a v strong magnet, and effective none magnetic strainer. Magnaclean do have a history of faults reported but this might be due to the sheer volume sold.
centralheatking

I'd just stick another Magnaclean on, won't the Professional 2 XP fit in the same gap?

This is probably what I'll end up doing for ease. I do fancy the idea of the Trappex to collect non-magnetic debris though. Not sure what to do - I fired off an email to Trappex to see what the maximum cutout the slip coupling can handle, want to minimise piping adjustments as pipe immediately to the right is the gas supply to boiler and not much space between the three pipes (return is the middle one in pic).

Why not install a y strainer / filter for non items ?

Why not install a y strainer / filter for non items ?

I hadn't considered one as I was lead to believe they can cause too much resistance in the return flow. Is this not the case and are they commonly used? This is for an old (15+years) 15 radiator system with lots of pipework due to the layout of the house. Mostly old copper with a couple of Speedfit runs.

Fit a magna clean pro on there it will protect the boiler and collect all manner of debris . Kop
[automerge]1572718773[/automerge]
Fit a magna clean pro on there it will protect the boiler and collect all manner of debris . Kop
works well larger particals end up in the bottom section . Cheers kop

Attachments

• 20170429_092608.jpg
    20170429_092608.jpg
    79.6 KB · Views: 8
Last edited:

Reply to Replace MagnaClean with another filter in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Sorry I have sort of asked this before, tried professionals but not great 1st experience hence DIY attempt attempt again. 2 completely cold rad's, another one get pretty warm, flow pipe hot, return v.luke warm. (Both rad's I have manually flushed really well) Hot water works fine, boiler return...
Replies
Views
… praying to the plumbing God, Bob Pictures and layout details attached, so be patient. 21 year old oil fired system in pretty good nick. I noticed some minor pumping over from the vent (occasional burst of water, and the odd dribble). Didn’t think much of it as I was about to replace the...
Replies
Views
Hi everyone, I'm a (somewhat, I hope...) competent DIYer and just want to get some advice if my suspicion on a problem we're having is correct. We had a Megaflo and boiler professionally installed as part of a renovation a couple of years ago. I will add all of the pipework was done by this...
Replies
Views
Hi all, I have a Heatmiser UFH installation, 7-8 years old now. This week we noticed that a few of our heating zones were not warming up, even though the thermostat was showing the flame symbol. They were working fine last winter. I knew from when I looked at the installation in the past that...
Replies
Views
Hello, I am renovating a small bathroom in an apartment on the 5th floor. Heating is electric, no gas or oil. I have four (related) questions about this below. I had intended to reuse the cold water tank and the cylinder sitting underneath it but my plumber suggested I replace the cylinder as...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock