Search the forum,

Discuss Regualtions on flushing pipes after soldering? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
J

jase158

Hi All, had a customer complain as water had a little gunk left in it after I had been, obviously from soldering.

Just wondering what regulations state as to flushing pipes out after soldering? As I did flush pipes but obviously she wasn't happy.

domestic i presume, require cold flush minimum but nothing more is required afaw. commercially must be disinfecting as well.

i presume if theres something left in it needs further flushing or you used too much flux

domestic yes,

customer wants me to pay for another plumber who came out, because there was no electric to immersion heater even though there was no power to immersion heater and switching on at circuit board still gave no power.
And blocked taps, but never gave me chance to put right. I flushed it with cold water until no more crap came out but next plumber says that it was carelessness and now she wants money back.

Perhaps using too much flux.

Tell her you should of called and you would of came and sorted problem as she got someone else in its no longer your problem

I've yet to have anyone call another plumber before calling me back. Did you have a disagreement while there? Or have you been briefly uncontactable?

I've yet to have anyone call another plumber before calling me back. Did you have a disagreement while there? Or have you been briefly uncontactable?

No and No, As far as I knew it all went fine, then suddenly received this email, was shocked.

Seems to be the ones that are living away and renting properties out, both complaints have been from woman who live miles away and they get a plumber after me, think they just don't trust anybody as they are so far away, they get a second opinion

http://www.ukcopperboard.co.uk/literature/pdfs/Installation-Tips/Flushing-and-disinfection.pdf

You have no obligation to pay for anything. Send her a letter stating the facts and that you followed industry practise in the flushing of the pipework. If there is any unforseen debris remaining in pipework you are happy to clear it free of charge.

After that put her on your naughty list.

What kind of gunk anyway? Just cloudy water?

Just received email back stating that I never let her know that there was a 2 year garauntee, however,

1. I never even knew it was her property, a man called me, a man gave me the money and as far as I knew I was dealing with a man, until the next day when she rang me about the immersion heater not working, where I went back, found out it didn't have electric to it and reccomended an electrician.
2. I told the tenant that there was a 2 year garauntee on all works.

Blue gunk apparently

I'd forget all about her, you're bound to get the occassional oddball and scam artist. Nothing to dwell over.
Tell her you have done to work as agreed and you will not be refunding any money.

If she takes you to small claims court you're covered as she didn't give you the opportunity to rectify any faults.

I'd forget all about her, you're bound to get the occassional oddball and scam artist. Nothing to dwell over.
Tell her you have done to work as agreed and you will not be refunding any money.

If she takes you to small claims court you're covered as she didn't give you the opportunity to rectify any faults.

Thanks mate, getting more and more customer unfriendly as the days go by.

Thanks mate, getting more and more customer unfriendly as the days go by.

This website is full of people conscientious enough to toil and torment over the complaints and criticisms of customers doing everything from making mountains out of mole-hills through to flat-out trying it on. All those who fit that description - even occasionally - should remember that most tradesmen are not spending their spare time searching online for absolution amongst peers. They're paying said custards no mind and refusing to dignify their protests. At best!

This website is full of people conscientious enough to toil and torment over the complaints and criticisms of customers doing everything from making mountains out of mole-hills through to flat-out trying it on. All those who fit that description - even occasionally - should remember that most tradesmen are not spending their spare time searching online for absolution amongst peers. They're paying said custards no mind and refusing to dignify their protests. At best!

As many may have guessed, not in my nature, maybe need to man up a bit and not really care as much. unfortuanatly it gives me sleepless nights and stress, I want every customer to be happy, but I don't think this is possible really.

It's not possible at all. You can be the nicest bloke on the planet, going out of your way for everyone you meet and there'll always be a percentage who will try it on. It's human nature.
Stress is one thing you really don't need. I know a guy who had to knock plumbing on the head because he was constantly worrying about work and he could never relax, almost had a breakdown.

Thick skin is a must in this game.

You must be thicker skinned now than you were when you first began, surely? Even if only a little bit. Therefore your nature can change and it will continue to change. But you won't expedite the process by telling yourself otherwise. Most of the "old boys" on here are not fussed by troublesome customers. It's not that they don't get them - they've just met their type too many times to care.

A cold flush through is enough, you don't need to power flush system completely. All you need to get out is the filings, solder and flux.

tell her to suck a fart out yer arse if she tries to contact you again lol

You did the right thing not connecting the immersion yourself if you had she would have a hold over you as you are not a electrician.
Don't no why you offer a two year guarantee on works, that's just asking for trouble.
what work did you carry out?
I some times come across customers who just don't want the original tradesman back in there houses, so can cause a problem with giving you the chance to correct a problem.

You did the right thing not connecting the immersion yourself if you had she would have a hold over you as you are not a electrician.
Don't no why you offer a two year guarantee on works, that's just asking for trouble.
what work did you carry out?
I some times come across customers who just don't want the original tradesman back in there houses, so can cause a problem with giving you the chance to correct a problem.

And I never met a plumber who would turn around and say, oooh that plumber has done a really good job.

And I never met a plumber who would turn around and say, oooh that plumber has done a really good job.

Meet me then!!

Teehee. Often when a customer complains about poor plumbing and I have a look I tell them, "It's not that bad - they've put an isolating valve here where many others wouldn't ... blah, blah" and it makes them feel much better.

I then tell them I don't like criticising others' work because often there's a reason for something being done a certain way. An ambiguous statement but it's meant to be!

I would praise anothers plumbing if it is good, but rarely see work that is decent or well thought out. I was told by a customer that a plumber asked what age that I was, when he had looked at a job I had done. When he was asked why, he said it was just that he had never seen such a neat job. I thought it was very nice of him.

As many may have guessed, not in my nature, maybe need to man up a bit and not really care as much. unfortuanatly it gives me sleepless nights and stress, I want every customer to be happy, but I don't think this is possible really.

and are you 100% sure shes got another plumber out and not just truying it on i give a 6 month gaurentee on my pipework but you carnt go longer than that cos anything can happen in 2 yrs the only blue gunk could be from flux thats gone off overnight but that should wash out shes defo trying it on and dont no why your bothering with her if it wasnt her you dealt with in the first place she aint got a leg to stand on

I always praise good work when i see it.
I fitted a combi for a mate of mine, British gas had the service contract with it, my mate rang me up after they had been to say that the bloke from BG said that the standard of work was to an "excellent standard", I didnt really take much from that likening it to being told Iam a good doctor by harold shipman.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Regualtions on flushing pipes after soldering? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, basic question, any insight much appreciated. Looking to have an outdoor tap in my front porch fed from 15mm pex coming up from suspended...
Replies
Views
Hi guys. I'm trying to identify a toilet model before ordering a seat for a customer. I went to what used to be a Roca stockist (they no longer...
Replies
Views
Morning to any Australians lurking around! Register its free, then message me, I'll sort your account out for you. We will need a moderator from...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock