Search the forum,

Discuss Rads work after Sentinel X400 but gunk still in pipes - clean again? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Morning all,

I've recently cleaned my F&E, microbore central heating system using Sentinel X400 and this led to the cold rads heating up again, so a success in that respect*. Now, after a week of the X400 circulating, today I cleaned the F&E tank again (much cleaner water), drained down the system, refilled it and drained it again to flush it all out. The water that came out was pretty clear.

However, when I removed the existing pump to replace it, gunk is still coming out of the pipes, so now i'm unsure about whether or not to replace the pump as I don't want to clog up the new one.

I'm reluctant to take off every rad on this microbore system in case I end up with a load of leaks when I put them back, especially since all the rads are now heating up nicely. When I flushed out the X400, the water was quite clear, with a orange tint in it, though the filter had picked up quite a bit of sludge. Having read some other stories about using cleaner in the hell that is microbore, i'm worried that any more cleaning chemical could dislodge sludge and cause a blockage again.

What do you think about the idea of fitting the new pump and running the heating for a few hours every day and then cleaning the sludge from the filter every day to try to gradually clean the system? Or is this just a stupid idea that will result in a failed pump?

Any advice gratefully appreciated.

*I just followed the instructions on the Sentinel website, keeping the X400 in for a week, running it for 3 hours initially and then putting on the heating for a couple of hours each week:

"Sentinel X400 should be circulated, preferably at normal operating temperature, with all valves open and the pump turned to maximum flow for a minimum period of 3 hours. Where systems are badly fouled, a longer period of circulation (e.g., up to 4 weeks) is recommended, but the product will not clear a completely blocked pipe."

Morning all,

I've recently cleaned my F&E, microbore central heating system using Sentinel X400 and this led to the cold rads heating up again, so a success in that respect*. Now, after a week of the X400 circulating, today I cleaned the F&E tank again (much cleaner water), drained down the system, refilled it and drained it again to flush it all out. The water that came out was pretty clear.

However, when I removed the existing pump to replace it, gunk is still coming out of the pipes, so now i'm unsure about whether or not to replace the pump as I don't want to clog up the new one.

I'm reluctant to take off every rad on this microbore system in case I end up with a load of leaks when I put them back, especially since all the rads are now heating up nicely. When I flushed out the X400, the water was quite clear, with a orange tint in it, though the filter had picked up quite a bit of sludge. Having read some other stories about using cleaner in the hell that is microbore, i'm worried that any more cleaning chemical could dislodge sludge and cause a blockage again.

What do you think about the idea of fitting the new pump and running the heating for a few hours every day and then cleaning the sludge from the filter every day to try to gradually clean the system? Or is this just a stupid idea that will result in a failed pump?

Any advice gratefully appreciated.

*I just followed the instructions on the Sentinel website, keeping the X400 in for a week, running it for 3 hours initially and then putting on the heating for a couple of hours each week:

"Sentinel X400 should be circulated, preferably at normal operating temperature, with all valves open and the pump turned to maximum flow for a minimum period of 3 hours. Where systems are badly fouled, a longer period of circulation (e.g., up to 4 weeks) is recommended, but the product will not clear a completely blocked pipe."
I would suggest retaining the existing pump until all cleaning carried out, you should be able to remove the pump head and clean out the impeller & pump ports and re-install it. If you then decide to renew the pump make a note of the old pump make,model&speed setting as there are numerous posts on here regarding F&E tank pump over or other problems with new pump installation, you will have a good starting point if you know the old pump's settings etc.

Well I spent ages cleaning the pump yesterday and when I re-fitted it, it kept tripping the RCD, so massive DIY success from me there! I think I probably got some of the electrics wet, like an idiot.

In a calculated, prolonged fit of rage, I went ahead and fitted the new pump which annoyed me further because the direction of the flow on the pump meant that I had to install it upside down (i.e. the writing on the label is upside down), although from my research, this shouldn't be a problem. I also bailed out the F&E tank, drained down and flushed the system, and then added two litres of X400 upon re-filling.

The heating now works perfectly and the pump is quiet, for the time being. I'll keep it running for a few hours each morning and evening and use a rubber mallet to gently tap the rads and any exposed pipework and clean the filter (it's an Intaklean 2) twice a day, for the next few weeks, before draining and flushing the system again. I'll let you know about my results. Thanks to you all for your time again.

I would go along the rads and visible pipework with a magnet and a rubber hammer whilst circulating with cold water and a magnetic filter on the return....centralheatking

Does much sludge build up in pipes in your experience Rob? I’ve mainly found it accumulates in places with velocity changes such as rads.

I’ve seen some accumulation in 22mm pipes at times but put this down to them being oversized and insufficient flow rate to self clean.

what pump is it most pumps you can rotate the head for correct orientation

Now before you lot justifiably fire shots, my plan is to change to a combi system in a couple of years when I get an extension built. In addition, I didn't want to get a decent brand only for it to be clogged up with sludge again. The pump I went for is erm *cough*, this one:

Amazon.co.uk:Customer reviews: JASS Ferry Central Heating Pumps Boiler Circulating Hot Water Circulation Systems & Cooling Replacement 60 decimetres Head KBD25-6S-130 1-1/2"

Still working so far...

Now before you lot justifiably fire shots, my plan is to change to a combi system in a couple of years when I get an extension built. In addition, I didn't want to get a decent brand only for it to be clogged up with sludge again. The pump I went for is erm *cough*, this one:

Amazon.co.uk:Customer reviews: JASS Ferry Central Heating Pumps Boiler Circulating Hot Water Circulation Systems & Cooling Replacement 60 decimetres Head KBD25-6S-130 1-1/2"

Still working so far...

You can’t install a pump upside down, all the electricity will fall out

Looks like you could split the pump body if you really wanted to, personally I’d leave well alone with that one. Chances are it would be a pig to seal after.

Still working so far...
same as old grundfos you just undo the foor allen bolts and turn the head to desired position, make sure pump vlaves are turndoff first though

Reply to Rads work after Sentinel X400 but gunk still in pipes - clean again? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

• Question
Ideal Logic 24, Previous problem was that the hot water was only cold or barely warm if the heating was in use. If heating was off and boiler cold then would get hot water most of the time. Changing the flow cartridge about 2 years ago (when I moved in) solved this problem enough to suffer it as...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Every two weeks or so I have to go and top up the system because the hot taps are running cold. Boiler display is flashing 0.6 bar and I fill up to 1.3. I've had an engineer look inside the boiler and he can't see anything wrong. I've checked the pipes all over the house and cannot see any...
Replies
Views
Copper pipes, I think its fair to say, is not what it used to be, the copper is getting thin while the cost is going up. Meanwhile, plastic Pushfit seems to be getting better and better, cost and convenience was always better, but now the quality is to, have we reached a stage where plastic will...
Replies
Views
Hi all Noticed bad smell in my drain out side put my hand down and it unclogged it for now however I checked my sewer drain and after flushing my toilet a good few times nothing is going to the sewer so don't know is there a blockage or what way it works many thanks and advice would be grateful
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock