Discuss Radiator valve choice in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

Spango

Hi, I'm new to the forum and to plumbing generally. I posted this in the wrong section but here goes again.
I was looking for advice on rad valves because I need to buy some to replace the old existing ones. The old ones have got a gland that can be re-packed and I'm thinking this is a good feature, although what I can see on the market is a lot of valves that are glandless (I.e. no gland nut on the shaft).

My questions are these:
- Are there glandless valves that are in the same price range as ones with glands, that are just as good?
- Is it realistic to assume that some valves don't have glands because acually they have a good enough water seal to not need them?
- Are glandless valves are made made more cheaply but have a shorter service life (so different target market)?
- Should I aim to get valves with glands because the other type can't be as good due to their design?
- Is it that nowadays you don't need a valve that is as good as a gland type one because they are mostly in a lock-shield application and it's the TRV at other end of rad that does the most work?

I'm also finding that supplies sites online don't even state whether the valve they're advertising has a gland or is glandless.....It don't help!
I would really appreciate your thoughts on this.
Many thanks
Spango

Hi, I'm new to the forum and to plumbing generally. I posted this in the wrong section but here goes again.
I was looking for advice on rad valves because I need to buy some to replace the old existing ones. The old ones have got a gland that can be re-packed and I'm thinking this is a good feature, although what I can see on the market is a lot of valves that are glandless (I.e. no gland nut on the shaft).

My questions are these:
- Are there glandless valves that are in the same price range as ones with glands, that are just as good?
- Is it realistic to assume that some valves don't have glands because acually they have a good enough water seal to not need them?
- Are glandless valves are made made more cheaply but have a shorter service life (so different target market)?
- Should I aim to get valves with glands because the other type can't be as good due to their design?
- Is it that nowadays you don't need a valve that is as good as a gland type one because they are mostly in a lock-shield application and it's the TRV at other end of rad that does the most work?

I'm also finding that supplies sites online don't even state whether the valve they're advertising has a gland or is glandless.....It don't help!
I would really appreciate your thoughts on this.
Many thanks
Spango
Spango you have far to much time on your hands mate, there are some things in this world that are just not worth worrying about & this is one of them!! If you want a good quality valve but not too costly go with these. All TRV's are glandless i.e. have O ring seals anyway. Pegler Yorkshire -

Thanks for the recommendation Chris. Just wanted something that didn't leak in the long run. I've been asking around about the pros and cons without a definitive answer. TRVs don't have to cope with the same action as standard valves I suppose, so I guess you can get way with just "O" rings.

I just use the cheap ones from screwfix on normal jobs.

I like Drayton and danfoss trv's though

A rad valve isn't going to explode. At worst it will weep if there's a problem. In which case it doesn't take long to change one so I'm not that worried about a call back.

Your way over thinking this

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Radiator valve choice in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

I have had a look at previous posts and think I know the answer to this but just before I make it worse could I just check what you think about...
Replies
Views
Forgive my ignorance, with this basic question, but I seem to be struggling to both understand, search for, and source, the appropriate washer...
Replies
Views
Hi, I need to remove some radiators for redecorating and went to try and shut off the valves either side of my rad. I have TRV on one side and on...
Replies
Views
After balancing the flows, one of these blighters has started to drip very slowly from under the red cap. It feels loose to turn, so I suspect the...
Replies
Views
Hi All, I need to replace a radiator in the kitchen, the 10mm copper has split so using this opertunaty to replace it with a towel one and also...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock