Search the forum,

Discuss Pump Sizing in the USA area at PlumbersForums.net

Hey guys long time since I have posted here but know some of you know your salt. I've got a job in a townhouse and currently the boiler sits on the second floor of a three story but I'm moving it to the ground floor as per client request, problem is, its got ridiculously high ceilings, I'm going to double check but suspect at the very least top floor rads are 7 meters up.. so I'm concerned about a standard 15/60 or whatever being man enough, I've been looking at the 25/80 as a viable alternative but I'll be honest I really don't have a great deal of experience in pump sizing, I'm usually just whacking in combis and forgetting about it 🥴 so I keep hearing that it'll make the system noisy and all these horror stories, just wondering if anyone could give me some advice basically. Current system is 22mm flow + return, currently open vented, 10 rads overall, I'm going to seal it and putting in a 180l unvented indirect. Also, client is a bit of an eco warrior so they want me to put in electric, electric boiler needs 12lpm minimum according to Mi's. Cheers

Can you seal it ?

Should be fine with a 15-60 then

As it’s sealed and the return will equal out the flow so your pump won’t have to work as hard

with open vent it will hep but not as much

As it’s sealed and the return will equal out the flow so your pump won’t have to work as hard

with open vent it will hep but not as much
I see, so in theory the weight of the water coming back down the return contributes to the force of propelling it up. At what point would it be worth uprating the pump given this effect?

When the internal resists exceeds the pump spec or you need more flow

Yep / not pipedsized correctly

but electric is not eco friendly, and to run c.h. off is going to cost them a pritty penny.
I know, depends who your supplier is i guess, 12kw gonna run some fat bills in winter. I have explained this to them considering they have gas in house, i cant wrap my head around it.

Madness I've done several electric systems and they ain't cheap to run you need economy 18 and a super insulated property I certainly wouldn't advise fitting one if there is gas available you will treble their energy bill , pump wise ? dab are my go to pumps as below . Regards kop

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210705-201621.png
    Screenshot_20210705-201621.png
    492.4 KB · Views: 8
  • Screenshot_20210705-201718.png
    Screenshot_20210705-201718.png
    339.2 KB · Views: 6
  • Screenshot_20210705-201658.png
    Screenshot_20210705-201658.png
    487.4 KB · Views: 8
  • Screenshot_20210705-201635.png
    Screenshot_20210705-201635.png
    351.1 KB · Views: 6
Madness I've done several electric systems and they ain't cheap to run you need economy 18 and a super insulated property I certainly wouldn't advise fitting one if there is gas available you will treble their energy bill , pump wise ? dab are my go to pumps as below . Regards kop
it is madness, I turned the job down initially saying to get some quotes locally for a combi install, its cheaper etc but they came back and said "no, we want electric" I said okay, and here I am. Thanks for the recommendation you think ill need the 8m head? I tried dab pumps once, I don't really like the electrical connector block inside the cheaper range, I had a faulty one from new mileeees away once. Very annoying.

This may have already been said but the height of a building has no bearing on the pump size required. The system is already filled and the pumps are circulatory, not lifters. As long as the pump can supply the pressure for the flow rate required to overcome the index circuit and heat exchanger resistance then you're ok. Again height is nothing to do with it.

This may have already been said but the height of a building has no bearing on the pump size required. The system is already filled and the pumps are circulatory, not lifters. As long as the pump can supply the pressure for the flow rate required to overcome the index circuit and heat exchanger resistance then you're ok. Again height is nothing to do with it.
thanks for clearing that up, i wonder when i see insta photos of 2 magna 1's and a llh on a 5 bed house whether its overkill, now im starting to think yes, yes it is... that poor customers wallet.

thanks for clearing that up, i wonder when i see insta photos of 2 magna 1's and a llh on a 5 bed house whether its overkill, now im starting to think yes, yes it is... that poor customers wallet.

LLH's or any other means of hydronic separation is used if
1. Pump internal to boiler can't supply the head to the entire circuit/circuits.
2. If the flow rates on the secondary side are more or less than that the boiler requires.

Some may disagree but as systems become increasingly modulation controlled then most systems out there will benefit/need some kind of separation. Although if this can be designed out at the designing stage it's better.

Not had a issue with any I've fitted had more problems with Grundfoss pumps as the guys have stated system design has alot to do with it , even a electric boiler manufacturer state in their literature that they should only be installed if not on a gas network and in smaller properties , you know it will all be your fault when it under performs and the bill goes through the roof, 12kw the supply for that needs careful consideration and may not be possible with the rest of the house.
Screenshot_20210705-211946.png

Last edited:
Not had a issue with any I've fitted had more problems with Grundfoss pumps as the guys have stated system design has alot to do with it , even a electric boiler manufacturer state in their literature that they should only be installed if not on a gas network and in smaller properties , you know it will all be your fault when it under performs and the bill goes through the roof View attachment 62183

have you used there pumps kop ?

Not had a issue with any I've fitted had more problems with Grundfoss pumps as the guys have stated system design has alot to do with it , even a electric boiler manufacturer state in their literature that they should only be installed if not on a gas network and in smaller properties , you know it will all be your fault when it under performs and the bill goes through the roof View attachment 62183
I have told them numerous times that it will be very expensive. I think I'm absolved to any blame at this point. 12kw should handle the rads no problem but yes the bill is going to be eye watering.

I had a similar customer, who had done online research and thought electric would be a great idea to future proof the house. However once I went through the cost of install, running and the fact that most electric units are only carry a 2/3 year warranty he soon agreed to a replacement gas boiler.

just one more point do they cook on gas or leccy, power cut no heating or cooking.
yes i know ,,, no leccy no heating even if you use gas, but!!!!
thats my pennys worth now,..

Consider the personality of the customer, this job would be ringing alarm bells for me - remember sometimes a job is not worth doing from your point of view and it’s best to walk away.
If it’s a job you’d not wish your name to be associated with, for example when they start telling people that their bills have gone mad since you fitted the new boiler etc - just don’t do it.

Personally I don't think the power supply will be adequate for heating, hotwater, cooking , a kettle, computers TVs , gaming and to top that probably a charging point for a car or two if not now then in the future, I'd be getting a calculation done allowing for a -2- 3 degree temperature outside for a week or two and all these appliances loading it will be a mind blowing and a game changers I guarantee, take some Viessman boiler information with you these are designed for the changes coming to the Natural gas supply, the future is Hydrogen Natural gas mix the co2 produced from the combustion process is vastly reduced it's being trialled and tested in parts of the UK now that the future and the way I would be pushing this customer is this direction , or saying sorry I'm out . Kop

Reply to Pump Sizing in the USA area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

I was stupid enough not to check the position of the pipes under the tiles when installing a toilet and drilled right through the center of a 16 mm copper water pipe. I exposed the pipe by removing a ~30cm section of the plastic sleeve and a ~10 cm section of the pipe around the hole. Several...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I'm would like to extend an existing outside tap to another point in the garden. I'm about to pour a concrete patio and was hoping to run the water line underneath. There are existing drain (and who knows what) pipes running along the same wall so I'm nervous about digging too far...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I’m replacing a concrete paving slab patio in the back yard. The original patio used 50mm deep concrete slabs on hardcore & sand. I’m planning to pour a 100mm deep concrete patio on 100mm hardcore. In order to achieve the same final height to line up with the rest of the patio, I...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock