Search the forum,

Discuss Power flushing in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
R

Rappid

I'm looking for some advice regarding power flushing.
My boiler keeps cutting out and reporting a circulation fault. The system runs for about a minute and cuts out but the rads do get warm and there is hot water.
I had a friends dad come over and have a look about 6 months ago and he said there was a blockage somewhere and since then I have a couple of bottles of x400 running around the system, but still wont clear.
I have spoken to another heating engineer and he suggested on tesing the pipework with magnets, the magnets stick to the copper pipe by the pump and 3 port valve and most of the 22mm pipework which probably indicates that the pipes are full of sludge.
He said to clear the fault effectively would be to replace the pipework which would be very expensive and would be totaly impractical as the boiler was moved when I had a extension built and most of the pipework is buried.
He did suggest power flushing but I have microbore to the rads, and heard a lot of people will not power flush microbore systems.
Does anybody know what my options are?

My boiler is a Potterton Suprima HE70.

Many thanks.

I will power flush, pm me if interested.

either that or replace 22mm pipework as said before.

Thanks Jase
I don't know where you are based, I'm in Wickford, Essex.
There are 18 rads.
Could you PM with a idea of costs

Thanks

If it hasn't cleared it by now, it won't The x400 is not very agressive so you could try powerflushing with the x300 (agressive). Don't put the x300 in and leave it for ages as its not to be in more than 24 hours or it can start eating seals etc.

my advice would be to try running the system for a little while, you say you have no boiler, so try turning boiler down to 0 and switch electric to boiler on set programmer to hot water and heating on and thermostat to max, this will let the pump run. Turn pump up to 3 or high, if vented system check F&E tank in attic to see if water is coming out of the vent if so turn pump back down to 2, and if still coming out turn down to 1. Open valves on both sides of all radiators leave it on for a couple hours, try gently tapping any visible pipework and the radiators with a rubber mallet . then switch boiler off. drain down and refill with another 2 X X400 or 2 x X300 if you are feeling brave.

Then run the system again with just the pump running, not the boiler. again tap all the pipework and radiators. then leave this for a week.
Try using the boiler after a few days as heat will help move the sludge if it fires up and stays alight then leave running until all radiators are hot. if it doesnt fire up and stay alight only try this once a day as trying it too many times could cause problems later. After a week, try the boiler and see if it is working, if so drain down again and refill with water and inhibitor and balance radiators.

If not then you will definetly need a power flush or replacement of pipe work.

Cost of this option

X300 or X400
Possibly might need a new pump after all the work it has been doing (not highly likely but worth considering)
Rubber mallet
chance of leaks when hitting pipes with rubber mallet (again not likely but possible)

Please note, not too sure on times, some people say 1 week some say 1 month. could anybody else advice on times for leaving chemicals in system.

Last edited by a moderator:
just read prvious post, X300 is 24 hours, so would leave in system for 5-6 hours and then try boiler and keep trying every 3-4 hours.

If the x-400 has been in for that long I wouldn't bother again. Time for something stronger.

Don't leave x300 in for too long as it will start attacking the valve seals.

If the x-400 has been in for that long I wouldn't bother again. Time for something stronger.

Don't leave x300 in for too long as it will start attacking the valve seals.

my guess is that X400 was in but the system wasn't running. if it was in for 6 months, chances are it hasn't been running around system as it has been summer. although would go with what WHPES says and use X300.

Thanks for your response guys.
The boiler is working at the moment, although constantly cutting out. I do have hot water and some heating.
I think I will go down the x300 route for the moment as I don't have a lot of work but think power flushing or even pipe replacement is the only solution.
I'm a NIC/EIC sparky, not sure if anyone would be interested in a job trade to keep my costs down.

Think WHPES means X800 mate, X300 is new system cleaner, other option is DS40 and a filter.
DS40 is even more hardcore, comes in powder form and has a max exposure time of 4 hours.

Can't you just renew pipework around pump,open vent and neutral point and then Powerflush? In my experience the blockage is nearly always there.

Sent from my MB526 using Tapatalk

Think WHPES means X800 mate, X300 is new system cleaner, other option is DS40 and a filter.
DS40 is even more hardcore, comes in powder form and has a max exposure time of 4 hours.

X800 Isnt as powerful is it, thats why its used on aluminium heat exchangers?

X300 is for cleaning out system of flux and solder

x400 is the most powerful

or am I wrong?

Last edited by a moderator:

Looks like DS40 for me, comes with a neutraliser, must be hardcore!!

with neutraliser you need to drain down chemicals as before once system is clean, fill up with neutraliser, leave running for half hour or hour, drain down again and then refill with inhibitor.

Learnt something new today will try DS40 next time I have a really bad system.

The x-400 is the one you can leave in for ages without it affecting seals / startinc corrosion so I was always lead to believe it was the least agressive one.

Yeah I think Sentinel's cleaners start at X300, X400 and X800 is their strongest, Fernox's is F3, F5 and then DS40

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Power flushing in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

My Mother-in-law was quoted £1,000 by British Gas to do a power flush on her system as her rads aren't performing well. I was wondering, as 4...
Replies
Views
In December 2022 (i.e. 5 months ago) I had a full system power flush conducted. Now the previously clear UFH flow gauges are black again. Is it...
Replies
Views
I get orange spots when washing clothes. Please see photo. I think it is rust. I’ve checked there’s no metal in the machine. I have also run...
Replies
Views
My daughter lives alone in a 3 bed semi in the west country. The house is 20 years old. The central heating and hot water are provided from a...
Replies
Views
Hi everyone. I'm currently working on a job for a customer. their radiators are not all heating up. in total there is 12 radiators. 4 of these are...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock