Search the forum,

Discuss Pound shop bargain? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
E

emergencyman

So tonight the wife is painting with a small brush and asks me if I have any brush cleaner.
I say no, but have Polypipe cleaner and go get her that, tell her to take it easy as its £8 a 250ml tub.
Wife says I've been robbed, its the same stuff as her nail varnish remover called Acetone and she gets hers from the £1 shop in a 400ml tub.

Is it the same stuff? If so get to the pound shop.

So tonight the wife is painting with a small brush and asks me if I have any brush cleaner.
I say no, but have Polypipe cleaner and go get her that, tell her to take it easy as its £8 a 250ml tub.
Wife says I've been robbed, its the same stuff as her nail varnish remover called Acetone and she gets hers from the £1 shop in a 400ml tub.

Is it the same stuff? If so get to the pound shop.

I don't know if it's the same stuff, but you are definitely paying too much for your cf250

I have never seen anyone clean plastic pipe before glueing it... I never have and have never had a glued joint leak...?

I think your right Ray. A Google search shows it can be had from around a fiver. TBH not sure what I paid for mine, it was jut a guess.

Only reason that I use it is that a lot of my work is joining onto old stuff.

I used to use it years ago when doing sewage pumping pipework that was under pressure - never bothered on waste pipes no pressure

Acetone does wonders on most plastics and stainless also removes wet exp foam

used to use that stuff by the 5 gallon at a time, burns well...but the price shot up.
btw, it melts plastic if in contact with it too long, try it in a plastic cup for a day.lol

or for the more adventurous, try a bit in your coffee ?:?)

I used to use it years ago when doing sewage pumping pipework that was under pressure - never bothered on waste pipes no pressure

Same here. Used it on 4 inch plastic for pressurised pipework on reverse osmosis plants.
On domestics just use abrasive strip to scruff up the surface.

Same here. If the plastic is dirty I give a good clean with emery cloth.

I remember using methyl ethyl ketone when I was in industry. That's nasty stuff and will strip paint off, but if you've tried everything else, it often works as a last resort.

For degreasing in the workshop I usually use isopropyl alcohol.

I'd like to know what would work in place of the contact paste for my rothenberger eco pipe freezer. It looks and feels like moisturiser. It's odourless. The stuff I buy is only available from a few stockists and so they take the pith on price. I bet you could get like a mayo sized jar of some sort of tesco on brand woman's general use goo and it would work. Might have a test. If I can be arsed. Which I almost certainly cannot.

I'd like to know what would work in place of the contact paste for my rothenberger eco pipe freezer. It looks and feels like moisturiser. It's odourless. The stuff I buy is only available from a few stockists and so they take the pith on price. I bet you could get like a mayo sized jar of some sort of tesco on brand woman's general use goo and it would work. Might have a test. If I can be arsed. Which I almost certainly cannot.

I have a freeze master and have not once used the paste.
A wet tissue wrapped round the pipe then freeze, it's just so you have no air gap between the clamps and pipe.
works every time

Last edited by a moderator:
the freezemaster comes with paste though?

so you think it's JUST a ploy to make money? seems elaborate. might as well include a hat you HAVE to wear. seems like a risky business freezing anyway. i'd worry it works fine 99 times out of 100 but has that 1% extra risk of going whoooooshh.

the freezemaster comes with paste though?

so you think it's JUST a ploy to make money? seems elaborate. might as well include a hat you HAVE to wear. seems like a risky business freezing anyway. i'd worry it works fine 99 times out of 100 but has that 1% extra risk of going whoooooshh.

Lol mine didn't come with a hat. I froze a lead mains today to move the mains stop tap, it's the no plan B that worries me.

if it goes wrong I can't turn The water off... But I could smash the lead over, the hat would keep my hair dry.

good point on no plan b. if there was a good plan b you'd be doing that instead of freezing. brown trouser time.

worst thing is when customer tries to talk to you in the middle of it once you've got an open live pipe.

Any pics of your freeze machine in action would be helpful. I've got a freezemaster but it looks right pain to clamp to pipes. What sort of clamps do you use?
I've had mine a while now but yet to use it. It seems easier to snatch or stick a valve on. I've stuck it in the shed

The last time I froze a main as I was putting the stop tap head back in, the ice plug went just as i was tightening it in. Never again! It's just not worth it.

The last time I froze a main as I was putting the stop tap head back in, the ice plug went just as i was tightening it in. Never again! It's just not worth it.

Was this the freeze can sprays or a proper freeze machine... The machines claim to freeze the pipe indefinitely....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Pound shop bargain? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

I have had a look at previous posts and think I know the answer to this but just before I make it worse could I just check what you think about this one. Granddaughter just moved house and this valve decided to leak when it was closed. When open its fine. Normally I have repacked the gland on...
Replies
Views
The fittings below are for a mixer bar attached to a self contained shower. i.e not a wall. The attaching screws have snapped. I could get two new brackets, dismantle that existing one and start again or I could try and re attach via those screws, removing the broken ones from the plate and wall...
Replies
Views
Hello plumbers in my internet. So the Mrs want a spray mixer tap in the kitchen as we had two separate taps. I changed the tap for a temporary two hole mixer but the cold water pressure is high mains fed and the hot is low pressure immersion tank fed. I've been trying to find info on what I...
Replies
Views
Every two weeks or so I have to go and top up the system because the hot taps are running cold. Boiler display is flashing 0.6 bar and I fill up to 1.3. I've had an engineer look inside the boiler and he can't see anything wrong. I've checked the pipes all over the house and cannot see any...
Replies
Views
Copper pipes, I think its fair to say, is not what it used to be, the copper is getting thin while the cost is going up. Meanwhile, plastic Pushfit seems to be getting better and better, cost and convenience was always better, but now the quality is to, have we reached a stage where plastic will...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock