Discuss [Poll] Rate my lagging in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re-done previous post as I was unclear.

Scenario - multi-million pound council programme to redistribute heat from a hospital, via a set of "block" boilers, into homes with heat exchangers. My personal bill was 15k for the local work (x290 flats in block) and 4k (x a lot) for the longer distance hospital stuff. As a leaseholder, I pay. No breakdown. The standard of work generally was awful, and lots of remediation work was done. The latest thing I am fighting is the standard of lagging. For me, a system based on waste heat distribution is particularly sensitive to heat loss, so lagging seems important. We turn on the hot water tap and literally wait c. 2 minutes for hot water in some cases, as an example.

So the context is quite specific: the standard is: You, a reasonable and knowledgeable professional, have specified lagging work of a reasonable standard, knowing the use case is for a heat exchanger system.

Now, here is the lagging that was done:
Album — Postimage.org

None of the cuts have had adhesive applied. Significant gaps ont he side you can't see at the joints. As you can see, none of the clip areas, or valve areas, are covered. Good practice guidance is clear this is sub-standard:
http://www.armacell.com/C1256AF100412A28/F/NT016C8C66/$FILE/ArmaflexApplicationUK.pdf

Q&A!
Q. This isn't a place for contractor bashing, pay for a 3rd party opinion.
A: I have got a 3rd party opinion, and it is that the lagging isn't good enough. But that is just one opinion vs the council, I need more, and it isn't fair to get a ton of people turning up to give me an opinion. Also, I'm as much council-procurement bashing as contractor bashing.

Q: It depends how much you paid / what work was specified
A: There is no cost breakdown. The whole project cost a lot, so I think the standard should be high. The key thing for me is I understand a heat exchanger system is particularly sensitive to heat loss, and so a reasonable procurer should have specified a good standard of lagging. (For those interested, NO lagging was done originally...!)

Mate I don't know what has triggered you in to this aggression, calling me stupid etc. I've just tried the poll, and it only needs one, not two responses as you appear to be indicating. The responses available are also clearly on a spectrum, and I don't see how they might conflict, if that is the meaning of your barb.

Yes I do have an axe to grind...why shouldn't I? Would you be happy to pay 19k for shoddy work? Why the hostility?

in none of the posts were you called stupid, and you havent paid £19000 personally the council has paid so take issue with the council over the workmanship.

1. Yes I was called stupid, by a poster in this thread, in the other thread.
2. I clarified in this post how cost went from 15k to 19k
3. Yes I did pay, as I've said multiple times. You seem to have a problem with council tenants, which I am not.

Anything else constructive to add, or are you just an aggressive, unhelpful chap by nature?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to [Poll] Rate my lagging in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Album — Postimage.org Hopefully the image link works - first time doing that. My builder told me good lagging looks like this: The council -...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Evening Hopefully you're not sick of this type of question! I've had a few quotes for a boiler upgrade (going from a regular boiler (~15 yrs...
Replies
Views
Deleted member 131795
D
Hi, some professional advice would be greatly appreciated, We are having an Unvented Cylinder installed into our 2 bedroom ground floor flat. I...
Replies
Views
M
Hi I have a bit of a contd saga and I am very appreciative of the help I have been offered on this forum. I live in a new build 2 1/2 years old...
Replies
Views

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock