Search the forum,

Discuss Boiler options - Ideal, Worcester Bosh, or Viessmann? in the Central Heating Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

Evening

Hopefully you're not sick of this type of question!

I've had a few quotes for a boiler upgrade (going from a regular boiler (~15 yrs old, on its last legs) to a combi) - all recommending different brand/model of boiler, and all company's are saying that their recommendation is the best given my current circumstances.

I know that if 5 people respond, I'll most likely get 5 contrasting opinions, however these opinions will hopefully help me make a decision!

Current situation:
4 bed detached house (cavity insulated with double glazing); 13 rads (absolutely tiny, none are more than 60cm wide); 1 bath; 1 shower (electric, so can be factored out of the equation); the gas pipe is 15mm, so a larger one will be installed at the gas meter; water rate is 15l pm. Not currently interested in replacing like-for-like or converting to a system boiler due to cost of upgrading the ancient hot water cylinder. I may look to extend the house in the future, and get larger radiators, so a slightly oversized boiler would be preferable - I understand that boiler modulation should compensate for oversizing.

My priorities are:
Wide modulation range; easy of servicing and sourcing of replacement parts; reliable long warranty; OpenTherm compatible. I understand that stainless There's also the potential that I'll be looking to attach a thermal store powered by solar panels in the future.

Current quotes:
Local engineer 1: Ideal Logic Max 35kw
Local engineer 2: Ideal Vogue Max 40kw
Local engineer 3: WB Greenstar 8000 Life 40kw
Online boiler company 1: Viessmann Vitodens 050-W 30kw
Online boiler company 1: WB Greenstar 4000 30kw
Online boiler company 2: Ideal Logic+ 35kw

As an aside, the engineer I spoke to from Online boiler company 1 claimed that the person who designed the 050-W managed to get their gas bill down to £18pm. No specifics attached to the claim, so I'll take that with a huge boulder of salt. Also, given the kw specified, I'm sure that he's quoted on the basis of a 3 bed house, but he's adamant that it's for a 4 bed....

My breakdown of the various brands is as follows:
Ideal:

+ Uses OpenTherm; good warranty on the Max range (12 yrs); cheap; uses 3rd party parts; decent modulation ratio (7:1)
- Lowest modulation ratio (7:1); all use (apart from Vogue) aluminium heat exchangers

WB:
+ Highest modulation ratio (10:1); doesn’t use OpenTherm, but an adapter is available; 10/12 yr warranty (if use accredited installer & install Greenstar system filter); replacement parts normally easy to source (though not right now as I understand); Which 'Best Buy' at 84%; easy to install
- Apparently difficult to work on?; aluminium heat exchangers; plastic hydraulic components

Viessman
+ Decent modulation range (8:1); Which 'Best Buy' at 81%; supposedly very good build; stainless steel heat exchanger; uses OpenTherm
- Negative: Has rubber hoses; expensive & more difficult to fix

I'm inclined to go with the WB 8000 Life, but as a 35kw model, on the basis of the widest modulation and longest warranty.

What's your take on these options? Does anyone want to throw in a curveball here?

All comments gratefully (within reason!) received!

Cheers

Last edited:
Have you had a look at a baxi 836 ?

I'd be tempted with the Worcester 8000 Style (Over the life), I really don't like Ideal they're cheap s*** boilers. Even thought the Worcesters have an Aluminium heat exchanger i've not had many fails vs. the Ideals. Plus the warranty service with Worcester is pretty good.

Disappointing that Vaillant haven't launched their new EcoTec Plus range, that's only coming summer.

Viessmann, don't think they're bad boilers. But their warranty service is pants, and parts tend to get difficult to get for them as they get older. Also the rubber hoses, however the Worcester does have a lot of plastic parts in.

I'd be tempted with the Worcester 8000 Style (Over the life), I really don't like Ideal they're cheap s*** boilers. Even thought the Worcesters have an Aluminium heat exchanger i've not had many fails vs. the Ideals. Plus the warranty service with Worcester is pretty good.

Disappointing that Vaillant haven't launched their new EcoTec Plus range, that's only coming summer.

Viessmann, don't think they're bad boilers. But their warranty service is pants, and parts tend to get difficult to get for them as they get older. Also the rubber hoses, however the Worcester does have a lot of plastic parts in.
The only problem with viessmann has always been their customer service. Don’t think the 200 has any rubber tubes, not sure about the 100. Interested in the new eco tec what have they changed

Cheers for the comments.

Viessmann 200 1-17 modulation the 0.50 is the trade boiler best go for 100

Thanks - why the 100 over the 200? Looking at the 200 specs: 1.9kw! Madness! If no rubber hoses then it's def one too look into further, especially given it's stated 'up to' 98% efficiency, but if their customer service is still wobbly then it makes them potentially swervable.

I'd be tempted with the Worcester 8000 Style (Over the life),

Thanks - why the Style over the Life? From what I've read, the only difference is that the Style has a touchscreen display (and it's available in 'high gloss' black or white, but I ignored that). I understand that the Life is an improved CDi Classic, but apart from that the specs appear the same.

Atag economiser fabulous boiler with flue gas recovery built in 14 year warranty with right pack and lifetime heat exchanger warranty.

The Viessmann 200 is not compatible with using Opentherm, , neither is the WB 8000 . The WB has the same stupid turbine flow adaptor as previous CDI that is designed to fail ( plastic choice here crumbles ("cheeses") with chlorine and age) in 5-8 years and flood floor beneath boiler . The Viessmann 200-W uses rubber hoses (dumb choice by Viessmann for their premium boiler) . I went for my home the new version of the Viessmann 100-W in May 2021 , because a) stainless steel heat exchanger b) The turn down can reach 3.2 kW (its a 10:1 turn down on central heating) , the Hot water available power is higher at 35 kW . c) Opentherm compatible . d) The Viessmann Vicare app allows me to see remotely boiler status (eg modulation , flow temperatures, and feed pressure ) , useful for me as boiler is in loft. My second choice was Atag Economiser 35 kW, but the turn down (6.1 kW) was not as good as Viesssman 100W . I control boiler with Evohome opentherm system , it all works very well so far .

Thanks for all the suggestions here. Due to a change in circumstances this has been put on hold for the time being, and am now back to the drawing board of combi vs unvented vs vented. To avoid the wrath of the experts here, I'll be doing more research into it, AND THEN I may come back with a question or two!

Thanks again, all the best

Reply to Boiler options - Ideal, Worcester Bosh, or Viessmann? in the Central Heating Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

We are from Alberta, and I own an electrical company. I have been asked by a BC Mechanical P. Eng. to install an emergency STOP button at the man-door to the boiler room. It's intent is to 'halt' the operation of the boilers in the room should there be an emergency. He is demanding that I do...
Replies
Views
We run a community village hall and have a large kitchen provided for the use of hirers. This includes a Lincat SLR9 gas cooker which I believe is a 23.8Kw appliance with all six burners and oven on max. This was installed some 10 years ago and has passed all subsequent Gas Safety inspections as...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock