Search the forum,

Discuss Plastering & tiling in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

rocketmanbkk

Plumbers Arms member
Plumber
I was going to do a couple of simple, DIY courses (6 weeks each) in plastering & tiling.

I asked my plastering mate about it and he said complete waste of time!! Shot me down in flames!!

Any thoughts? It'll be a couple of hours a week in an evening for 6 weeks.

Imagine your friend telling you he was doing a 6 week plumbing course. You'd shoot him down too!

Personally I think you get a plasterer in to plaster and. Tiler in to tile. But that's why im so skint.

They're DIY courses. I don't expect to go & plaster my or anyone else's house & then tile it.

I've had a few maintenance jobs where the wall has a hole & it needs mending & plastering over - about a foot square. I want to try to tackle these things.

Also jobs where custards want a little tiling done, splash backs etc.

Not full bathrooms or floors.

Plastering is an art I think, can't your mate show you how to do patching work? Or is he willing to follow you around patching little holes? Probably not! It's not like you are skimming walls.

Tiling makes and breaks a job and it's all in the preparation I think. I'd go for the tiling if it were me.

I done a plastering course over six weeks one night a week found it good although as the guy running the course said its all about practice that was about 20 years ago if I were you I would do the course..brum

Can't you chuck your mate a bit of cash and get him to teach you the basics.

I would go with the tiling course

Ive just been working in a house where the plasterer came out the navy and done a plastering course,

i can safely say that the plastering was awful

It's simple. Few you tube vids and set up a wall in your garage. It won't be easy. And you won't ever be a plasterer. But you should be able to flatten a wall, skim a celling, screed a floor

Depending on the cost mate, I would do both, they are skills you will never loose.
Plastering after a few go's isn't that hard.
tileing is all about levels , marking out and patience ,
if you are into bathrooms you will need both.

I did a 1 week plastering course and we are about to do our first house in January. You either have the knack for it or you don't in my experience. It's all about feel through the trowel and knowing the setting times, how much PVA to use etc.

Learn in your own home first!

I was going to do a couple of simple, DIY courses (6 weeks each) in plastering & tiling.

I asked my plastering mate about it and he said complete waste of time!! Shot me down in flames!!

Any thoughts? It'll be a couple of hours a week in an evening for 6 weeks.

Defo tiling. Plastering is quite a physical skill, it’s not for everyone. As long as you are not gonna be a Jack of all trades, go for it.

Defo tiling. Plastering is quite a physical skill, it’s not for everyone. As long as you are not gonna be a Jack of all trades, go for it.

Alright bud I think maybe you've not done much tiling as it is much more labour intensive than plastering a ceiling ive been unlucky enough to be involved in bathroom fitting for most of my working life and would sooner skim a wall than tile it..brum

As a ex plasterer it's two thinks the wrist action and the patience of a saint to sit and wait

:carolers:Youre right ive not seen your posts re tiling I wasn't knocking but plastering a wall or ceiling is much easier than tiling it ive been in game last 34 years and spent most of my time bathroom fitting tiling as we all know is the major work in any bathroom fit thank god for shower wall panels.Tiling is a straight forward set out get levels double check levels and fix.Skim a wall involves making wall dust free pva mix multi finish with paddle on cordless onto hawk apply to wall read paper and trowel off if doing a kosha job apply another coat read another paper wait till almost touch dry and trowel off if it starts to set spray with water whilst trowelling easy peasy.This is a plumbers way of plastering its not exactly rocket science but it works and its a sight easier than fixing tiles ...brum

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Plastering & tiling in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
I was stupid enough not to check the position of the pipes under the tiles when installing a toilet and drilled right through the center of a 16 mm copper water pipe. I exposed the pipe by removing a ~30cm section of the plastic sleeve and a ~10 cm section of the pipe around the hole. Several...
Replies
Views
Every two weeks or so I have to go and top up the system because the hot taps are running cold. Boiler display is flashing 0.6 bar and I fill up to 1.3. I've had an engineer look inside the boiler and he can't see anything wrong. I've checked the pipes all over the house and cannot see any...
Replies
Views
P
S
Hi, I seemed to have a blockage in kitchen sink. A plumber came and cleared all the pipework that is visible inside my home (there was debris and pebbles!) We saw that the pipe that takes water down the gutter was visibly full to the top. He said he will return with a coil to push through...
Replies
Views
S
Hello I am looking to install a slimline dishwasher (integrated) into a cupboard in my kitchen. The depth of the dishwasher is 550mm and the depth of my cupboard is larger than this. The issue, however, is that the waste pipe which leads from the sink (next door cupboard) comes out quite a...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock