Users can remove all display ads (not sponsors) for a small fee. Click for info (must be logged in)

Discuss Osma strap on boss in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
J

justracing

Why do I always have difficulty connecting into these? The sealing ring is so tight that I always end up pushing the seal out of place despite my best efforts to chamfer the end of the pipe and loads of lubicrant. Osma weld pipe 32mm and 40mm is virtually an interference fit into the boss.

File a good chamfer on the pipe. If you use a different make of pipe then o.d may vary. Other option is to use a different make or solvent weld type.

It's all Osma, same manufacturer. Solvent pipe o.d. is fixed so why not make the i.d. of the seal just 1 to 1.5mm bigger, it would make life much easier and it would still seal.

Last edited by a moderator:
No idea, all I know is that everytime I've used one of their push in bosses I waste half an hour trying to get the pipe in! I resort to the edge of an angle grinder to start a chamfer, clog up a file and end up with sandpaper! Thought maybe it was just me:smiley2:

The push ins are for push fit pipe which is a smaller od. I pull out the rubber seal and glue the pipe in.

Isn't that bit loose? Does it seal? Loads of solvent on both parts presumably

Not loose at all, rough up the bits with some sandpaper and plenty of glue. Never had any issues.

Stick the rubber in hot water soften it. Stick it on the pipe and shove the lot into the boss

The push ins are for push fit pipe which is a smaller od. I pull out the rubber seal and glue the pipe in.
This assumes that the boss adaptor with the rubber seal removed is the correct diameter for a solvent joint, I wonder if this is the case. I don't have one to hand but if that is the case it sure makes life easier:25:

you could try another brand? i think osma stuff is pants, but sometimes i have to fit it as im not paying for the materials.

you could try another brand? i think osma stuff is pants, but sometimes i have to fit it as im not paying for the materials.

Interestingly we use osma sink and basin traps onsite and all of them are marked on the fittings 'mcalpine' only the packaging is marked osma

probably the same as alot of companies in recent years, to save money they merge production, products ect..... its goto be a good thing they have mcalpine on :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Osma strap on boss in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Trying to connect up new 40mm waste into the old soil stack (which would be an absolute pain to remove), it's all Osma pipe, from the 70s...
Replies
Views
G
Morning everyone. Got an issue with an internal soil stack boss strap failure. The boss strap had been sealed originally with silicon which has...
Replies
Views
[ASIDE: I did wonder if this was the best forum for this but figured as it was a boiler related issue that the gas engineers would be dealing...
Replies
Views
I have a CH boiler installation with a nice simple vertical condensate drain, down and out through the wall to a pipe outside. All is as it...
Replies
Views
Hi all, hoping you can help me. I have a leak where the bath waste pipe connects to the boss pipe. Not sure if its a push fit or pipe weld type...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock