Search the forum,

Discuss Old steel pipe thread size in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

ma701ss

Hi, I tried to fit a new basin yesterday, the taps are connected to old steel pipe in my 30's house. The thread on the steel t-piece is slightly larger than 22mm, more like 23mm or perhaps of imperial it's supposed to be 7/8 inch. I need a coupler from this thread to 15mm but can't find any. Does anybody know where I could get one? I'm not a plumber and just wanted to do the bare minimum as temporary solution.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi, thanks I think you're right. I understand it now having looked at bspt.co.uk. I'm trying to connect up to old steel and lead pipework. Think it may be time to renew but in the words of my good friend Mick Hucknall, money's too tight to mention. I have lead mains going into loft and then back down to the kitchen. From the tank in the loft to the bathroom there is also lead cold pipework. I found online a 50m coil of speedfit plastic pipework for £40. Just wondered if I could use this and find a larger size for the water main, and then run all of it in one length without any joints (except where needed to branch off)? Might be easy for me to do then.

Have you tried a 3/4 fitting ?

No didn't try that, I don't have one. It measures 23mm so assuming it must be 5/8 bsp.

No didn't try that, I don't have one. It measures 23mm so assuming it must be 5/8 bsp.

prob 3/4 as they didnt use funny sizes

You should really replace all the lead and steel pipe work, that lead will be 85 years old and well past its time, any slight movement or stress could cause it to leak, not to mention it breaking down into the water your drinking

You should really replace all the lead and steel pipe work, that lead will be 85 years old and well past its time, any slight movement or stress could cause it to leak, not to mention it breaking down into the water your drinking

If it's also lead in the ground outside the house though, probably not much point changing it for health and safety reasons?

But 3/4" is 26.441mm (to be precise!). I measured across the thread and the internal diameter is 23mm.

should say on an iron fitting but 80% it should be 3/4

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Old steel pipe thread size in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, basic question, any insight much appreciated. Looking to have an outdoor tap in my front porch fed from 15mm pex coming up from suspended floor. Pic 1 is inside porch, pex temporarily clipped to give an idea of pipe placement (ignore shoddy blockwork of booted cowboy builder!), Pic 2 is...
Replies
Views
Hi guys. I'm trying to identify a toilet model before ordering a seat for a customer. I went to what used to be a Roca stockist (they no longer are) and one of the guys there reckoned it might be "The Gap". I went to the new stockist and the guy there disagreed it was "The Gap" and that he'd...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock