Discuss Oftec exam / mock exam in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
K

King Plumb

Allright dudes and dudettes.:seeya:
I'm going to do my oftec course in October, I'm a time served plumber and worked with oil in the early 1990's my certs are from 1992:wheelchair:
I went away from the trade and have now got back into it due to a change of circumstances, not a bad thing.
Anyway what I was going to ask was, is there any mock exam sheets out there so I can have a wee practice.

Not that I know of, I'm afraid. I looked for the same thing when I did mine.

To be honest, like most plumbing exams, they're next to impossible to fail, unless you pay absolutely no attention during the classes.

That's the thing if it's open book it seems like anyone can do it if they part with ÂŁ750 :icon9:

You will find that they give you information on the course that questions will be asked on. You get three attempts and the last one they look over your shoulder and tell you which box to tick. You wont fail.

That's the thing if it's open book it seems like anyone can do it if they part with ÂŁ750 :icon9:

The bloke who did my assessment picked up who knew what within the first 30 mins. They're not there to fail you, but there was only three of us when I did mine so it was pretty good.
Being open book it's like the real world, if you didn't know or was unsure in the real world you would stop and refer before carrying on.

Then you'll get your oftec visit within the first 12 months. I think some of em are ex traffic wardens. :)

In the meantime just have a browse through the oftec books, strip down a burner or two and see if you can find anything on the web for hazard awareness (spotting issues etc).

A sad(?) fact of life is that for any exam authority* (GCSE's upwards) it's not in their interest to fail you because the competition (other exam bodies) will take over.

* save a few

The bloke who did my assessment picked up who knew what within the first 30 mins. They're not there to fail you, but there was only three of us when I did mine so it was pretty good....

When I did mine there were three of us too. One was a re-sit and had been in the industry for a good 10 years. Us to newbies sailed through everything, but this other person struggled with all the tests (including the practical). What they didn't take into account though was his knowledge on how boilers worked, what to look for when they broke down, whether one boiler was better than another, how to diagnose heating problems, etc.

Classic symptom of the "time served" verses new/fast track plumber.

However, in fairness to me, the last few boilers I've returned to have been running as clean as a whistle, have hardly required any cleaning and are using less fuel than they used to (so I'm told!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Oftec exam / mock exam in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Okay. So I have a ground floor shop and second floor flat for sale (potentially). No major need to get shot of them, but not a lot of point...
Replies
Views
    • Funny
    • Love
Hi ladies and gents, Just thought I'd give you a laugh. As some of you are aware, I'm currently the owner of a newsagent's shop out in the...
Replies
Views
Good evening PlumbersForum I know this is probably the most commonly asked question but instead of looking through similar threads, maybe it...
Replies
Views
Hi PlumbersForums. I've been having some issues with my central heating system in a 4 year old new build property for over a year now. I have...
Replies
Views
Just looking for a bit of a sense check on this one. Situation is that I'm GSR over here but have a property in France that has a fuel oil (French...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock