Search the forum,

Discuss Odd issue with Nest controlling hot water in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Hi,

Heating engineer fitted me a new system boiler and a cylinder recently converting from a combi.

System has three zones controlled by Nests including the hot water.

I've just noticed that the hot water doesn't seem to get warm according to the Nest schedule so I investigated and found an odd issue.

The cylinder appears to be successfully calling for heat occasionally - presumably when its temperature gets low, which is why this issue has taken its time to surface.

However, when the Nest hot water calls for heat, I hear the Nest click on, the boiler fire up, however the 2-port valve doesn't open. So the boiler gets in a tiz and shuts off.

The hot water works if I use the Next boost function and then manually switch over the valve, but the odd thing is when the boost ends the Nest successfully closes the valve.

So basically, the Nest will switch off the hot water but won't switch it on - I have to do this manually.

Does anyone recognise this issue?

Wired wrong you got any testing gear eg multi meter ?

I do have a multimeter. Are there any obvious things I can check?

I'm not a plumber, but am a very competent DIYer.

The bit I don't really understand is why it switches the valve off, but not on.

Thanks!

yes the hot water cylinder port valve find where that goes into

turn hot water off on nest

open the cover of the wiring centre (not the port valve cover)

find the brown wire for said port valve

multi meter on voltage on 240 ac

one pobe on earth the other on the port valve brown wire

now turn hot water on via the nest (normal not boost)

you should have voltage eg 240v if not its wired wrong

Reply to Odd issue with Nest controlling hot water in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

• Question
Ideal Logic 24, Previous problem was that the hot water was only cold or barely warm if the heating was in use. If heating was off and boiler cold then would get hot water most of the time. Changing the flow cartridge about 2 years ago (when I moved in) solved this problem enough to suffer it as...
Replies
Views
Hi everyone, Looking for a bit of advice, recently went to a job where heating was operating when called for however not for the hot water. I have changed the 3 port actuator Honeywell head however this doesn’t seem to have solved the issue, does this mean that the programmer is faulty? Or is...
Replies
Views
Hi, I have a Worcester 28i junior boiler that has started to lose pressure, only when using the central heating. When using hot water I have no issue, however, when running the heating the pressure drops. Im looking for some ideas on what could be causing this. I have no sign of pipe leaks...
Replies
Views
Hi, Later this year I am going away for a 2 week holiday and as the weather will be warm there is no need for the heating to be on and arguably no need for me to needlessly heat hot water. My intention was to turn the boiler off along with the mains water when going away. Now, I have heard...
Replies
Views
Hi bit of a weird issue, I installed a grohe bathroom tap successfully 2 months ago bought from screwfix. Last week the right hand hot tap makes a squeak noise as I turn it on or off, left tap is 100% perfect and noiseless. This grohe tap is like one unit, so no screw notch or way I can remove...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock