Search the forum,

Discuss No Data Badge - Should I Cap? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

TheRockSalt

No data badge on gas fire so instead of capping the fire i put it on maximum and gas rated the appliance to determine if extra ventilation was needed. The fire was below 7kw so no extra ventilation needed. On the certificate I put NCS as there was no data badge. The fire passed all the checks so I had no reason to cap, is this correct?

From memory the last course i was on said no data plate means no way of knowing how to get a instalation manual so should be caped off but i would give gas safe a call to confirm as some collages seam to tell you one thing one time then somthing diffrent the next they are very helpfull. i had one the other day never came across before gas light in a work shop i was thinking needs capping off rang gas safe as long as it worked was ok to leave connected and it is a appliance and there was no manual so made note on service sheet that i rang gas safe for advice

If no info but passes basic safety checks, ie: flue flow, spillage, fsd, gas rate and no signs of spillage then leave as AT RISK. IMO

how do you gas rate an appliance without knowing its input?

no data badge, no likey. :)

If no info but passes basic safety checks, ie: flue flow, spillage, fsd, gas rate and no signs of spillage then leave as AT RISK. IMO

with no relevant info how can you guarantee to have done the spillage test from the correct place, and how do you know what the HI should be, if you gas rate you will know what it is but without info it could be more than 5% over and cant be left on,
NO DATA BADGE = NO LEAVE ON

how do you gas rate an appliance without knowing its input?

no data badge, no likey. :)

you don't need to gas rate a fire for it to pass, the only reason I gas rated was to find the kw to determine the need for extra ventilation.

I don't think you are grasping what folks are saying pal, re-read Kirkgas last post. Also, no disrespect intended, but probably not the best idea to carry out an action then ask if it was correct on a forum.

To cover your own back, if in doubt call gas safe or cap until the relevant info can be found.

you don't need to gas rate a fire for it to pass, the only reason I gas rated was to find the kw to determine the need for extra ventilation.

you either need to measure and confirm its burner pressure, gas rate or both as required by the regs, so this cant be done without relevant data badge or instructions.

theres no real point to gas rate to try a determine ventilation as you have no idea if the measurement is correct anyway. you might aswell just guess.

Last edited:
It all comes down to the basics, ID - capping it off, it would have to be an immediate danger to life or property, ie gas escape, spillage, incomplete combustion etc you all no the drill, anything or than immediately dangerous situation at the time of testing is classed as At Risk. Just because you don't know the ventilation requirements, the burner pressure or gas rate doesn't make it a life threatening situation. You cant just cap appliances off because you don't feel comfortable leaving it on. Under gassed or over gassed appliances are At Risk as long as it doesn't effect the appliance operation ie flame lift or delayed ignition, undersized or no ventilation again is At Risk so long as flue flow & spillage & general conditions are OK.

first thing i would of done is look for the db, then inform the customer of what you will have to do if you work on it, which you should not anyway.
then its a matter of acting in their best interest by informing the customer it cannot be properly checked then its their choice to leave as is or make safe, and i charge just the same if i dont touch it.

It all comes down to the basics, ID - capping it off, it would have to be an immediate danger to life or property, ie gas escape, spillage, incomplete combustion etc you all no the drill, anything or than immediately dangerous situation at the time of testing is classed as At Risk. Just because you don't know the ventilation requirements, the burner pressure or gas rate doesn't make it a life threatening situation. You cant just cap appliances off because you don't feel comfortable leaving it on. Under gassed or over gassed appliances are At Risk as long as it doesn't effect the appliance operation ie flame lift or delayed ignition, undersized or no ventilation again is At Risk so long as flue flow & spillage & general conditions are OK.
Spot on there!
As mentioned- unless you know the appliance is a danger to life or property it is going to be at-risk in the absence of MI's etc.

In social housing the only time we come across this situation is with a tenants own fire otherwise its a standard Robinson visa. In these cases we test the flue as its what we are responsible for. The appliance is turned off and labeled as at risk. Warning notice is issued stating tenant needs to get the appliance inspected.

have a read of 26 (9) then tell me you are doing EVERYTHING you should be

have a read of 26 (9) then tell me you are doing EVERYTHING you should be

Good point kirkgas 26 (9) (c)its operating pressure or heat input or, where necessary, both;

So does this mean this should be done on a boiler as I was under the impression the analyser trumps this?

Good point kirkgas 26 (9) (c)its operating pressure or heat input or, where necessary, both;

So does this mean this should be done on a boiler as I was under the impression the analyser trumps this?
You should still confirm one or the other when analyzing. If you can check a burner pressure use that, or on a premix the usual gas rate.

Are you qualified?
You seriously saying you do not know that a BP or gas rate is required.
Got to be a ****-take!

why do so many many people seem to be getting into the mindset that if you use an analyser you cover'd and dont need to do anything else?

the gas regs have not changed recently, you still need to adhere to them. An analyser does nothing other than confirm combustion readings, it does not mean you dont have to do all your other standard checks and most importantly follow manufacturers instructions.

Last edited:
You did a gas rate to confirm it's size because it didn't have a data badge? The whole idea of the data badge and the gas rate is to confirm it is actually operating as it should be and using the correct amount of gas for which it was intended.

How do you not know it wasn't designed as a 9kw fire?

OFF and cap end OF.

How does an analyser trump anything, its purpose isn't related.

Hey! I found this at the top somewhere I didn't go digging for it. Granted I had my eyes half shut when I started replying.

Delete my post if you like will it go back to the depths then?

It was on the left hand side somewhere lol

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to No Data Badge - Should I Cap? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

I have had a look at previous posts and think I know the answer to this but just before I make it worse could I just check what you think about this one. Granddaughter just moved house and this valve decided to leak when it was closed. When open its fine. Normally I have repacked the gland on...
Replies
Views
  • Article
A Plumber Who Worked Illegally Gets A Suspended Sentence After Falsely Claiming To Be Gas Safe Registered. A Plumber in Herefordshire was prosecuted after Hereford Trading Standards Team found that he was falsely claiming to be on the Gas Safe Register when he was not, putting members of the...
Replies
Views
Hi all Noticed bad smell in my drain out side put my hand down and it unclogged it for now however I checked my sewer drain and after flushing my toilet a good few times nothing is going to the sewer so don't know is there a blockage or what way it works many thanks and advice would be grateful
Replies
Views
Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason, we are relying on our property fitted stopcock (this is outside on our garage wall) Unfortunately turning this to the closed position only reduces...
Replies
Views
We run a community village hall and have a large kitchen provided for the use of hirers. This includes a Lincat SLR9 gas cooker which I believe is a 23.8Kw appliance with all six burners and oven on max. This was installed some 10 years ago and has passed all subsequent Gas Safety inspections as...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock