Users can remove all display ads (not sponsors) for a small fee. Click for info (must be logged in)

Discuss New plumbing Pliers in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
J

jtwoltd

We have developed a new set of pliers that aid the installation of copper pipe. We are trying to go into production with the tool but have been told that we might need to get the tool approved first. I have asked WRAS for there opinion but as many of you already know WRAS do not deal with things associated with installations.

Does anybody know of an organisation i should approach to get the pliers approved for use?

Regards

Andrew

Get paititent and then speak to rothenburger they love new tools and easy to market route

We are looking at producing the tool ourselves. We did approach a tool manufacture and it was them that said they would like it approved first.

'aid the installation of copper pipe'?

I'd be very interested to know how a pair of pliers will do that.

what approval do they want? what body would even approve tools?

if they make tools then they must be able to make it to meet current manufacturing and safety standards etc......

they only approval you reall want and need is from tradesmen buying and using it.

I can see why power tools would need approvals, but not handtools.

I don't ever recall a tool-salesman mentioning it.

chuck a few our way,we will evaluate it,test it to destruction and if its anygood recommend it as a tool to have

No you need the real workers first, you mods are too busy doing a good job with the forum :)

We have developed a new set of pliers that aid the installation of copper pipe. We are trying to go into production with the tool but have been told that we might need to get the tool approved first. I have asked WRAS for there opinion but as many of you already know WRAS do not deal with things associated with installations.

Does anybody know of an organisation i should approach to get the pliers approved for use?

Regards

Andrew
Take a look at tools with similar characteristics on the market and see what eu or better still British Standards they state that the tools comply with that should give you a rough idea of the standards to look at, that your tool will likely need to comply with. Should also give you enough information to search for a product testing company that can certify to the relevant standard.

Last edited:
Don't forget plumbers like quality tools and have no issues with paying a premium for decent gear......to get quality now (apart from a few exceptions) you have to go back in time and buy 2nd hand from ebay. Don't skimp on quality and go for the diy market, give us something to compare to Footprint & Knippex for example.

No room in my toolbag for Chinese made low quality dross.

Good luck with your venture.

Agreed. Mods first........

if your going to succeed in life..

start at the top and work your way down, aint that right bod?

is it c.e. and kite mark there looking at, i think there taking the cow pat. what about all the chinese import stuff?

Regards

Andrew

Check your personal messages

if you want me to evaluate it pass me down a set if it lasts longer than 2 mins in my 10month old daughters hands you may be on to a winner!

They are not sure what approval is required. The Copper Development Association recommended we spoke with WRAS as they do not know what approval would be required. I have spoke with WRAS and they said it shoud not need approval, they also said that they do not think pipe-bends have any form of approval.

I think we shouod just go ahead with the production of the tool and see where it leads us.

just go for it before the chinese do!!
get them maketed in screwfix toolstation merchants etc and take it from there.

i will happily trial them for you ;)

It would be good for you to give photos, a description and your idea on pricing to one of the moderators to post in the plumbers arms, its a private area for well known site users and you have to be able to prove you're in the trade so no rivals will be able to see.

we are your client base! If we say yay on the idea then you can smile, if we say nay then you will be hard pushed to get it off the ground.

We can give that constructive criticism that your friends wont!

as said before plumbers, gas fitters and heating engineers tend to 95% of the time pay a premium for quality tools.

Some of us might even be willing to buy it straight away due to it!

It would be good for you to give photos, a description and your idea on pricing to one of the moderators to post in the plumbers arms, its a private area for well known site users and you have to be able to prove you're in the trade so no rivals will be able to see.

we are your client base! If we say yay on the idea then you can smile, if we say nay then you will be hard pushed to get it off the ground.

We can give that constructive criticism that your friends wont!

as said before plumbers, gas fitters and heating engineers tend to 95% of the time pay a premium for quality tools.

Some of us might even be willing to buy it straight away due to it!

couldn't say it better.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to New plumbing Pliers in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hello plumbers in my internet. So the Mrs want a spray mixer tap in the kitchen as we had two separate taps. I changed the tap for a temporary two...
Replies
Views
We run a community village hall and have a large kitchen provided for the use of hirers. This includes a Lincat SLR9 gas cooker which I believe is...
Replies
Views
We are from Alberta, and I own an electrical company. I have been asked by a BC Mechanical P. Eng. to install an emergency STOP button at the...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock