Discuss New Kid on the block saying hello in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
R

Rob.P

Hi Everyone

I'm Rob, I have just started out on my own after qualifying in Plumbing & Domestic Heating NVQ Level 2. It's going OK at the moment but it's quite nerve-racking being self-employed and trying to make a living out of bathroom installations.

Hope to be able to ask questions of you very experienced guys on the plumbing forum in the future. Wondered if I could ask one quick one now? What do think of working for people like B&Q and Homebase as well as yourself? I saw an advert but don't know whether it would be a good move or not! Does anyone have experience of fitting for these guys and being self-employed too?

Thanks all

Welcome along Rob, self employment is nerve racking to start off with. It's a steep learning curve, but it gets easier the longer your at it.
Ive never worked for any or the sheds, enquire and watch out for the small print.

Welcome Rob, hope all goes well for you. I started out 3 year ago and have just startd to see some real benefit from it. it wont be easy but keep at it and build up a good client base. I started out ny doing cheap jobs for people just to get my name out there.

Hi. It's hard but nothing's easy . If it was easy everyone would do domestic and not spin it out on commercial jobs!

Personally i would never sub to BandQ even if they paid top dollar but subbing can be a steady source of income if you get in with a good company.

I have not worked directly for the sheds but have subbed for contractors who do. A lot of the work I was sent on was to rectify badly fitted bathrooms by other plumbers who were working for e&u in this instance after customer complaints. I had heard the company I was subing for had had to wait for money on a number of jobs as it takes time for them to process paperwork etc. The problem is the sheds dont do a great job of vetting who they send to fit there stuff. They are only really interested in selling the sanitary ware and having a fitting service just facilitates this. Go to there bathroom showrooms and have a look at the carp you will be fitting some of it is so bad its almost uninstalable. The same goes for dam ikea basins and their stupid cheap European traps.

A good company you say........

Well they are few and far between these days but there are still some who pass on the work for an ever diminishing fee and leave you alone if you do the job as it should be done (but you usually have to put up with their pentecostal version of h&s)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to New Kid on the block saying hello in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, Hoping some of you folks can steer me in the right direction. I have been self employed for the last 15years supplying services to the...
Replies
Views
Hello All and thanks Lou i did write a reply but it would not let me send it? i am not sure what I am meant to write and I do not want to come...
Replies
Views
Hello all, We had a new bathroom fitted 3 years ago and the sink blocked up recently, tried to clear it my self (removed basin trap but turned...
Replies
Views
Saying hello as the polite thing, especially since I just asked for some advice in another thread. I'm a plumbing/ process piping engineer in the...
Replies
Views
Been stuck abroad for a year now. Still stuck abroad. Italian red tape is, as they say, 'something else'. I used to think regulation was about...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock