Discuss New Boiler installation in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

sp25

Dear all,
My boiler has given up few months ago and urgently in need of a new boiler. It'a very big decision as its a huge amount and i want to be able to install a reliable one. Having suffered with no heating/hot water i am very cautious esp as i have a little baby.

I have narrowed it down to Baxi platinum HE28 A. It was a tough choice between Baxi, Vaillant Ecotech Pro & Vaillant Ecotech Plus.

I am not sure which is the best as there seems to be lots of brands and also mixed opinions. However, I was hoping you could share your expert opinions please.

Thanks in advance.

No no no no don't. Only Baxi you should ever consider is the HE duotec platinum range the rest are utter shister. Baxi know this and that's why even though they have launched 7 new boilers, rebranded remeha main they still selling HE boiler. When it's withdrawn we will not be fitting Baxi. We fit literally 100's a year.

Yep logics again. They are same as Baxi HE in my mind. Plus side is the washing of hex and installer mode. Downside pressure gauge / location tick. Flue quality : cost . And the fact after installing a zillion still forget vertical flue adaptor when it's a vertical then horiz flue termination

Christ it's only a boiler. All the top brands are pretty good and installation matters more anyway.

Pick one, get it installed properly by a man that can speak properly; do something more interesting.

Yep logics again. They are same as Baxi HE in my mind. Plus side is the washing of hex and installer mode. Downside pressure gauge / location tick. Flue quality : cost . And the fact after installing a zillion still forget vertical flue adaptor when it's a vertical then horiz flue termination

Thanks all!
Sticking to Baxi platinum..if it cannot be fit without disturbing kitchen units too much, then it'll be another Baxi-poss Duo tech! If not, will consider Ideal as it offers same warranty and seems to have received some good comments here..

thanks for your input :) much appreciated..

Christ it's only a boiler. All the top brands are pretty good and installation matters more anyway.

Pick one, get it installed properly by a man that can speak properly; do something more interesting.

That is the problem with a lot of trades yes to them it is simple and not worth the hassle when you have a customer who wants to know the ins and outs of everything, but to him at that point it is the most important decission he has to make at that time and for many a substantial capital investment that they do not want to get wrong ?
When I was running the bilding firm I started to see a 100k job as small and a pain in the backside I think somewhere along the line we tend to forget that people are all different some needing more hand holding than others !

thanks for your opinion LPC! It's NOT JUST a boiler for me! My boiler broke completely in September and haven't had a drop of hot water/heating for 3 months now! Having an infant baby it's not an ideal situation but we had to wait until now to get a new one installed.

Therefore, investing some time into seeking expert opinions, researching boiler brand reputation from consumers themselves is key to my decision making process.

Like you say, all top brands does seem pretty good and installation counts. I am looking for that one extra element (expert opinion from people who install them on a daily basis) which will confirm/sway my short-list/selection like the forum has now done. This will mean that atleast i can have some peace of mind knowing that i have done my best given the knowledge.

Also, what makes you think this is not interesting for me especially when I love buying an item for my home/family that keeps us warm and cosy... ;-)

:)

That is the problem with a lot of trades yes to them it is simple and not worth the hassle when you have a customer who wants to know the ins and outs of everything, but to him at that point it is the most important decission he has to make at that time and for many a substantial capital investment that they do not want to get wrong ?
When I was running the bilding firm I started to see a 100k job as small and a pain in the backside I think somewhere along the line we tend to forget that people are all different some needing more hand holding than others !

Thanks Basildog, you nailed it! Yes, it's not a small decision for me given my current situation with no heating/hot water for over 3 months...and boilers are NOT cheap unless you are a GSR and can install it yourself as the relative cost of the boiler is cheaper than the installation itself!

To be honest I started as a complete novice to everything but saw how badly people were being treated by tradesmen and their attitudes at the time as a 19 year old .
Asked when I was stuck never been afraid to ask although you soon learn half the so called experts are numpties wearing blinkers !
Started getting asked to do building work and thought why the hell not ,used the right guys that were hungry and keen ,19 and driving a brand new Hilux and owning a new Mini excavator , out at 4.30 am digging graves before starting normal work ! all on the never never , Got a call one day to be at a customers house at 8.0clock in the morning for a bunch of stuck up landscape designers !
Anyway a £100 job turned into millions of pounds worth of work as the client loved my attitude and ability to think out side the box and yes plenty of sucking up too !

I am a bad man.

What i'm trying to say is I think possibly you're over-thinking this. This earlier post was what gave me that impression the most:

I spoke to both Vaillant and Baxi and found it took me 45 minutes to get to Vaillant/Glowworm and they didn't seem keen to answer my queries. Baxi on the other hand took less than 10 minutes and i called them about four times each time when i had a new query and they were amazingly helpful. This was one of the reasons in addition to the 10yr guarantee i felt swayed towards Baxi rather than Vaillant.

You rang Baxi 4 times?

I get it. You want the best boiler for your money. If I hadn't have had hot water/heating for 3 months and a baby, i'd have gotten 3 quotes as quickly as possible from word of mouth recommendations and taken recommendations from friends /family and respective installers, made a decision quickly and gotten heating & hot water in the property as fast as possible. It's not hard. Not ring Baxi 4 times etc with queries you could settle much more quickly by getting a GSR around to the house.

If this is the amount of research and time you're spending just on the boiler, you should be spending 5 times that researching your installer.

Lets hope you get it in by next xmas eh?

Can't believe no one's asked who's going to be maintaining it for you.

Whomever it is will have a preference for a particular manufacturer and will be trained on its ins and outs.

If you haven't already done so I would ask them for a quote, come back with their recommendations and we'll go from there.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to New Boiler installation in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back