Search the forum,

Discuss Water leaking from Myson Velaire oil boiler in the Central Heating Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

D

David Killinger

Hi - I have a Myson Velaire oil boiler which was installed in 1988. The boiler has been very reliable only needing a good service and rarely a replacement part. Today I noted water on the floor and it looks like the water jacket is leaking, can it be repaired ?

I am aware most will say replace it with a new more efficient boiler, however the boiler is situated in the middle of the house (a dining room) with no outside wall and the boiler uses a flue liner in the old chimney. I cant fit a new boiler in the kitchen as it is very small with storage at a premium and I don't want an outside version, Ideally I would like to replace the boiler like for like but I know they aren't available. Can someone give me an idea what I can do and what's available.

Many thanks
David

With the prices of energy increasing as they do you’d be wise to have a new boiler installed.
If you’re not happy with that idea then you might be able to find a metal worker to patch your boiler or maybe find something on eBay.
A new high efficiency condensing boiler will save you a noticeable amount of fuel and depending on how far you were prepared to go with an upgrade you can see even more savings in the long run.

You can get plastic flue liners for condensing boilers and condensate pumps for your very situation.

It's alright trying to patch it but you wont know to what extent the rot extends in the steel. At 34 years old it owes you nothing.

A farmer managed to get hold of a second hand shell which I fit for him, but only after I pressure tested it to check its soundness.

As the guys have said new boiler time.
Don't even consider trying to have it welded just a waste of time and money. I know I've tried! (Have been qualified to ASME 1X G6)

Reply to Water leaking from Myson Velaire oil boiler in the Central Heating Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Got a replacement combination boiler, less that 1 year old. Noticed some water from the connection pictured. Can't see what is it from the manuals, possibly a rainwater drain? Was told by the person from Vaillant that it was an A A V (auto air vent), but she didn't sound too certain! Can...
Replies
Views
I have an old Potterton suprima boiler with a hot water tank and pump. We have hot water but no heating, the light on the boiler is showing amber (no call to heat) I have been told that this is likely due to the 3 way valve or motor on it (Myson Power Extra). I am wondering whether to try and...
Replies
Views
Hi, I need some urgent advice. I've Just come home after going out for evening, to discover hallway floor and kitchen floor covered in water. On further inspection I discovered that water was coming from boiler cupboard. On looking in boiler cupboard I found boiler has started leaking water...
Replies
Views
Hi, I am replacing our 11 year old boiler (due to H.Ex. leak) with a new one. This is in a "sealed" system with red expansion vessel in airig cupboard & a megaflo (no tank in loft). However the exisiting boiler is Vaillant ecoTEC 4xx boiler - which is satated by vaillant as an "open vent" boiler...
Replies
Views
Heating and hot water is not working. Plenty of heating oil. I have replaced batteries in thermostat and it seems to be working ok, showing flame to call for heat, and the receiver seems to be working ok with green light, but heating is just not firing. I really am not sure what the problem is...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock