Search the forum,

Discuss Gas pipe supply size question for new boiler in the Gas Engineers Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

So we are looking at a new vaillant ecofit pure 418 regular boiler but have a question about the gas pipe size requirements..

At the gas meter the pipe size is 15mm where it then runs under the kitchen floor before exiting at the the other side where the existing boiler is located (old baxi) where the pipe size is 22mm. So somewhere under the kitchen floor it changes from 15mm to 22mm.

The old boiler has been working fine with this configuration but i am worried that new boilers require a 22mm pipe.

The new boiler will either be a Vaillant or another Baxi rated at 18kw as due to the position etc it has to have a rear flue....

One surveyor mentioned the 15mm pipe size may be ok but mentioned new pipework might be required if after the new boiler was fitted the flow rate wasn't sufficient. It will be an absolute nightmare to do this as the existing gas pipe runs under a kitchen floor that was only last year levelled with resin before new lino was stuck over the top....There is no obvious easy way to re-route.

The 15mm gas pipe that exits the meter we estimate runs for around 3-5 metres before the size changes to 22mm somewhere under the kitchen floor. It's probably around another 3metres to the boiler.

I read somewhere that the Vaillant has a 15mm connection, not sure if that matters.
As an after thought does anyone have any opinions on the vaillant ecofit pure 418 or the Baxi 418 Heat 18kW?

Can you estimate the total length also any other appliance on gas ?

If the existing Baxi is 18 Kw, it will use the same as the new 18Kw Vaillant (near as damn it). You need to ask a Gas Safe registered installer to test the existing supply pressures so you know how it is currently performing.

Cheers, the existing is a 22 year old 24kw, the new 18kw should be sufficient.
If the existing is sufficient then it will be for a smaller boiler yes.

There will be a pressure drop from meter to appliance and you need to know what that is now in order to know that is is sufficient now. If there is 15mm tube in there - even a short length - then it will cause a noticeable and significant drop.

The best way to 'know' is to test the working pressure at both ends on full rate.

Reply to Gas pipe supply size question for new boiler in the Gas Engineers Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi All, I need your advise as I'm really concerned here. I only just had regular boiler replaced with combi (Vaillant ecoFIT Pure 25kw). I had few surveys done and everyone stated the gas supply pipe from the meter to the boiler must be changed from current 15mm to 22mm. The plumber I used said...
Replies
Views
British Gas servicing the above boiler ramped up the boiler to maximum in the installer menu to do flue gas analysis. They also measured the working gas pressure on the gas valve test nipple. This fell to 8mbar on maximum and 17mbar on high setting. They then removed the isolation valve under...
Replies
Views
Im fitting a kitchen in my own house . When removing the gas oven on a bayonet fitting and turned the gas hob off and removed a four burner gas hob. Ive noticed that the oven supply 15mm and the hob supply is 15mm but once the cupboard is out i can see the hob supply is 10mm in the wall. Which...
Replies
Views
I have a badly blocked feed pipe to kitchen rad, was running very slowly but I’ve made it much worse trying to clear blockage with curtain wire, pushing the blockage to the manifold I think now totally blocked. Return pipe is clear. Exposing manifold is major as it’s between floors and involves...
Replies
Views
Hi, I am a homeowner but caught between a rock & a hard place. I am trying to get a Vaillant ecoTEC 630 plus serviced but the gas safe engineer & Vaillant engineer say one thing, whilst the SGN engineer says another. I do not know how to proceed and would value some informed advice. The rock...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock