Discuss Needing advice in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
L

LFG

I'm in a bid of a muddle at the moment regarding my plumbing career and would really appreciate any advice.

3 years ago when I was 20 I wanted to get into a trade and of course everybody suggested plumbing. It sounded like a rewarding and interesting career so I started looking for apprenticeships online. However after months of searching with no results to show for my efforts my only option was to enroll at my local college. I was very fortunate to have a tutor who came from a very experienced background and knew his stuff. My two years at college were very enjoyable and I was quite successful in my exams and practical tasks.

I was awarded my level 2 tech cert this time last year and I found work within 2 weeks. It was an agency job at a mental hospital with a long commute but I was going to take any job offered to me at that point in time. I only did small reactive jobs like changing taps, unblocking toilets and the like. I hated that place and left after two months. Two weeks after that in September I landed another agency job at a university performing more reactive maintenance but it was much more bearable. Fast forward a few months and my agency started missing payments, not booking requested holidays, just all round being as uncooperative as possible. I ended up leaving in March and have been jobless since.

I have really been trying to move away from this commercial maintenance crap and find something more domestic focused which has been challenging to say the least. I applied for a British Gas installation apprenticeship in that same month and I am still in the running. I was successful in the telephone interview but she mentioned that it does not guarantee me a placement. They emailed me two weeks ago to say they're still making a decision. It's a very slow process.

Part of me wants to get out there and find my own work but I know I'm not anywhere near ready for that. It would require years of experience before I would be comfortable going out on my own. If there are any of you plumbers in the Berkshire area who wouldn't mind having a helper tag along or know anybody who are looking for junior plumbers I'd be very thankful. Cheers!

Last edited by a moderator:
Search the looking for a plumber section of the forum, guy called something like Nick, user name I believe is 3 letters has a company in Sandhurst and has advertised for guys before, might have to search back a fair bit. Were you working at Broadmore by any chance?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Needing advice in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

My name is Chanel i’m 19 years old i’ve just finished my level 2 plumbing course and i’m looking for an apprenticeship or someone who could take...
Replies
Views
My daughter lives alone in a 3 bed semi in the west country. The house is 20 years old. The central heating and hot water are provided from a...
Replies
Views
E
Hello All, I`m currently on my level two plumbing course at college and I`m looking for some part time work if anyone could offer me some advice...
Replies
Views
Ellis J
E
I’m finding it hard breaking into the industry. I’m a trainee plumber living in London Hello, I'm a trainee plumber who lives in London who's...
Replies
Views
Hi, I’m looking to retrain as a gas engineer and do a new entrants gas course. I’m a bit concerned by the ‘on-job’ work experience/shadowing, as...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock