Users can remove all display ads (not sponsors) for a small fee. Click for info (must be logged in)

Discuss NCS classification phased out in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

villa_tom

Esteemed
Plumber
Gas Engineer
Subscribed
Did anyone else get the email off gas safe today saying that the NCS classification was getting removed from GUISP?

Yep . There also looking into how you become qualified as igem are trying to stop short courses folks becoming gas installers without proper apprenticeships. so the training regieme will be changed but only to beginners. ABOUT TIME.

I think change in this instance is a good thing :)

i still think if something is fitted wrong no matter how trivial we should be able to turn it off.

If its wrong because of regulation changes then that's different.

From reading the draft though we still have three categories ID, AR and AR with a symbol. How daft IMHO as all they have achieved in fours years of consulting is new sticky label and changed the category names. Not saying that it shouldn't be looked at but do it properly

I'm with Red on this one. Both proposed classifications result in the same outcome.

How long before we're down to the one classification?

In my view the two classifications should be NCS or DANGEROUS.

Exactly croppie, how can you turn round to a cust and say its AR but not have to label it because in reality it's only ntc

I've not read it yet but it is draft for consultation so do send in your comments!
My first impression is I agree with Croppie.

The introduction and place to download it is here;
GIUSP Review - Draft for public comment | Unsafe situations

I notice in the introduction they say the public are confused by the difference between AR and ID and often think it is OK to use items that are AR.
Many times I have come across members of the public thinking it is OK to use appliances AR.

According to the intro they want to make it clear that AR means do not use (ie the same as ID).

If the current classifications were changed to "immediate danger to life" - ID. "Potential threat to life" - AR. "At Risk" - Some ncs classifications and NCS for minor infractions such as no bonding etc, then maybe the AR category wouldn't be ignored so much and remedial work carried out more often.

I agree with GMR it will cut out the ambiguity of classification

im with dropping the ar as well its either dangerous or not maybe AR should be changed to PD potentialy dangerous with a time limit till the work is done this would stop the current system of ar and allowing the tennants to turn back on which the housing associations love

It's utter nonsense and going to cause a lot of trouble! Imagine coming across a condensate not terminating correctly, like the soak away not being 500mm from the property and having to turn some old dears boiler off!!!

This is a classic example of a rule made by a man that couldn't even hand a photo on the wall!

It's utter nonsense and going to cause a lot of trouble! Imagine coming across a condensate not terminating correctly, like the soak away not being 500mm from the property and having to turn some old dears boiler off!!!

This is a classic example of a rule made by a man that couldn't even hand a photo on the wall!

aint thoses building regs not gas?

NCS = Nobody gives a fek, thats prob why it maybe changed.

idiot installer puts a boiler in with poor gas supply, thinks its ncs next time it gets attention. No it gets cut off and he/she gets a feking smack.

thats how they should word it in the regs LOL

Last edited:
im with dropping the ar as well its either dangerous or not maybe AR should be changed to PD potentialy dangerous with a time limit till the work is done this would stop the current system of ar and allowing the tennants to turn back on which the housing associations love

I see this every week, infact, they usually turn it back on while im there.....it's a farce. There was a case in this months Gas engineer magazine where this happened and resulted in a death. When your handing out warning notices ( covering NCS,AR ) like confetti every year for the same issues, and to the same ppl, it's inevitable that over time they will just become immune to them.

The problem is if you change regulations and you do so because something has been established to be dangerous then it should be categorised as such. Flues in voids has been established as dangerous. When changing the regs they need to stipulate which parts of the regs if not met by instalations predating the reg changes will require that predating appliance be classified as dangerous and shut off. I dont know if NCS should exist but I do believe that an instalation should meet regulations and if it doesnt we should be permitted to insist alterations be made or remove the appliance. I dont care if uts condense, prv termination or the distance of the boiler flex to the gas pipe if its not right it should be made unusable untill rectified. Whats tge point of having the regs if you have a categorisation of defect system that essentialy says we know its wrong but it diesnt matter.

The best classification to get rid of would have been AR, its dangerous or it isnt. ID and NCS would cover everything. People need to be told not to use a dangerous appliance and the decision taken away from them

aint thoses building regs not gas?

I see what your saying there. So building regs ie condensate , filling loop attached boiler flex not clipped would stay as ncs but any covered by gas regs ie gas pipe not clipped, meter unsecured would need to be addressed.

If customers start having appliances disconnected, they just won't get them serviced. To be honest, I don't think most of the ppl who are on the breakdown contracts even want the appliances serviced anyway.....I don't think ppl look at servicing gas appliances in the same way as they do a car.

If customers start having appliances disconnected, they just won't get them serviced. To be honest, I don't think most of the ppl who are on the breakdown contracts even want the appliances serviced anyway.....I don't think ppl look at servicing gas appliances in the same way as they do a car.

not a lot different to now then. Servicing makes up such a small part of my work it's daft. By turning appliances off would this not encourage people to take better care? Or am I giving them too much credit??

It's hard for someone who's had a boiler in for 10-15 years to be told that its now unsafe. Do any customers ever get prosecuted for turning back on AR'ed appliances

No you make a good point. I caught one of my letting agent peeps telling tenant to wait till I'd gone and turn back on. How can you win with advice like that

There should just be Dangerous Category warning sheet/label ( leaks, spillage, poor combustion etc ) with an appliance discconect. On the service sheet there should be a box at bottom for guidance notes regrding minor things, no serperate warning notices or AR. They knew when they introduced AR that ppl would just switch it back on.

They just have to do something to stress the importance. NCS is a pointless category really as no one ever acts upon it. Although it obviously covers our arse that we've spotted it.

Im sick of wrinting them out tbh. Surely a standard changed because it was deemed a risk and no longer entirely safe....which is AR. Just a farce.

So maybe needs to be more like an MOT Fail & Advisory???

I don't agree with the advisory on mot. Apparently, my brakes are imbalanced....I'll get round to sorting them next year, 2 weeks before it goes back in for the mot again.

Ha ha same. I'd probably wait till they were picked up as a fail actually on the mot

It's excessive rules and regulations and the constant wanting to have someone to blame for any possible eventuality. You'll need a permit to go the toilet soon

It's obviously keeping a few thousand jobsworths employed though all living in fear that they'll be found out as their job actually does nothing except make hard workers jobs hell.

I agree 100%. Sometimes I dont feel like an engineer, I feel like a Inspector just filling forms out and able to follow regs ad-infernitum.

I shall wait with baited breath but I'm not expecting great things

They've really muddied the waters with all the NCS over the years, many of them nothing to do with gas/flue safety issues. The AR customers getting a new safety warning every year but carrying on as normal, it took a fatality for something to happen. Anything above NCS classification: that's both ID and AR appliances, should have the gas supplies capped. For someone to restore the supply would have them 'Working on the appliance' and they would have to be GSR. More accountability should be forced on the property owner to put things right (higher insurance premiums maybe)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to NCS classification phased out in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Too many ads now as i have to remove adblock anyone else getting cheesed off with this? May have to remove plumbers forums from my pc as unusable.
Replies
Views
We have an oil delivery booked for Friday but we ran out earlier today. We topped the tank with 150L from containers, bled the first boiler from...
Replies
Views
Went to a customer today their glow worm Ultracom 24 HE goes to fire up then cuts out turning the heating pump off, then does the same again...
Replies
Views
This unit is located in France where they use diesel not kerosene. The feed from the underground tank is not getting through to the boiler. The...
Replies
Views
J
Hi all, I am a plumber but I do not carry out works to boilers as the majority of my is bathrooms so I am not gas safe. I have completed a...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock