Search the forum,

Discuss National grid in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

zeebeedee

Plumbers Arms member
Plumber
Gas Engineer
What they like to work for? What's the work load and shift patterns like? How much out of hours do you work?

If you can get on you wont leave...they winge about shifts.they winge about most things in life that involve the slightest effort,,but £45000 a year based at home...

The newer contracts won't be on 45k a year! Not now...with RIIO and money savings GDN's have to make.

Not sure on their shifts but will be on them! 30k...you'll earn more than that too, with call payments etc

The newer contracts won't be on 45k a year! Not now...with RIIO and money savings GDN's have to make.

Read the advert,just under 30 grand with 11 grand shift allowances,got a mate ,who is an emergency engineer,he did 44 grand last year,ignore the bull on here,its a good job especially in Northern England,not easy to get on though...

Read the advert,just under 30 grand with 11 grand shift allowances,got a mate ,who is an emergency engineer,he did 44 grand last year,ignore the bull on here,its a good job especially in Northern England,not easy to get on though...

Well I am on...in the North of England. So I do ignore the bull as I'm actually doing it. And the wage in the north of England isn't 30k and there certainly isn't 11k shift allowance.

Well I am on...in the North of England. So I do ignore the bull as I'm actually doing it. And the wage in the north of England isn't 30k and there certainly isn't 11k shift allowance.

Maybe you're being mugged off jefaz?!

Haha no no. I'm not on that contract....I done 47k last year and 48k this year.
The newest contracts however are on about 37 all in

Maybe some of the better lads get paid more

So I must be better than your mate? ;)

I think your better than me mate..National Grid binned me off in the selection process for being too old,i can only dream of your conditions and pension

I think your better than me mate..National Grid binned me off in the selection process for being too old,i can only dream of your conditions and pension
Don't get anywhere near all of the good stuff they used to get pal. The job itself is good though.

on the subject of natinal grid,my local ESP and peeps that do the gas workes are wales and west utilities,formally transco,now seeing natinal grid vans everywhere as well as W+W whats all that about?

I believe some of grid is up for sale..... W&W is owned by the same people as NGN. Although NGN are currently the best GDN of them all....based on customer scores

A lot of the blokes i bump into moan like mad, must be a case of grass is greener on t'other side.

I can shed some light on this. I cant quote exact figures as im sat here having my mug of tea so dont have figures to hand but my stats are close enough and good enough.

As a front line emergency response Engineer your base pay will be circa £29,500 pa. The normal working day is any time between 0800 and 2000 hrs. Shifts can run as late as 0100am in the morning finish time and as early as a 0600 am start. Shifts are typically 4 x 10 hours plus 1x 8.75 hours. This can include weekdays,weekends and public holidays. There are additional payments for shifts and this comes in three different pay bands. The pay band allocated to you is on a quarterly basis and depends on your rostered shift patterns in that quarter. Typically most peeps are on the top shift pay band which pays around £350per month.

Standby and callout is compulsory. For a weekday you get about £60 per night and for weekends you get about £102 per night. Additional payment of £50 for working xmas day or new years day.Work is delivered via an in van laptop on which you do all your admin. You have to keep the laptop happy. Reports are run regularly. Vans are sat tracked. Audits are frequent and you are expected to perform to the highest standards with potential disciplinary action.

Overtime,,there is no 150/200% . Overtime is typically paid at 20% uplift.

Pensions,, the very old timers ex British gas/nationalised are still hanging on to a final salary pension. This was ended for new intake more than ten years ago. Everyone else is on bog standard defined contribution pension.

The workforce is generally a mix of direct and contractors. The contractors make more money. I'd speculate that the typical direct bod who doesnt do lots of overtime will gross somewhere between £35 and 42k.

Last edited:
A lot of the blokes i bump into moan like mad, must be a case of grass is greener on t'other side.
Some of them might be old timers from the nationalised days who have never done any house bashing in their lives and get a sweat on if they have to repipe a meter outlet never mind design and fit a traditional system !

Oh i forgot to mention the bonus scheme. This was introduced a couple of years ago as an individual bonus. You can earn a max of about £84 per week based on productivity. Unfortunately for many this is a pipe dream. here isnt the volume of work in the system to make good bonus and people will not compromise and rush to make bonus so,,err,,they dont make it.

I can shed some light on this. I cant quote exact figures as im sat here having my mug of tea so dont have figures to hand but my stats are close enough and good enough.

As a front line emergency response Engineer your base pay will be circa £29,500 pa. The normal working day is any time between 0800 and 2000 hrs. Shifts can run as late as 0100am in the morning finish time and as early as a 0600 am start. Shifts are typically 4 x 10 hours plus 1x 8.75 hours. This can include weekdays,weekends and public holidays. There are additional payments for shifts and this comes in three different pay bands. The pay band allocated to you is on a quarterly basis and depends on your rostered shift patterns in that quarter. Typically most peeps are on the top shift pay band which pays around £350per month.

Standby and callout is compulsory. For a weekday you get about £60 per night and for weekends you get about £102 per night. Additional payment of £50 for working xmas day or new years day.Work is delivered via an in van laptop on which you do all your admin. You have to keep the laptop happy. Reports are run regularly. Vans are sat tracked. Audits are frequent and you are expected to perform to the highest standards with potential disciplinary action.

Overtime,,there is no 150/200% . Overtime is typically paid at 20% uplift.

Pensions,, the very old timers ex British gas/nationalised are still hanging on to a final salary pension. This was ended for new intake more than ten years ago. Everyone else is on bog standard defined contribution pension.

The workforce is generally a mix of direct and contractors. The contractors make more money. I'd speculate that the typical direct bod who doesnt do lots of overtime will gross somewhere between £35 and 42k.

also the bastwerds in charge send a survey to customers once you have done a job ,i know a few who work there,they are under a fair bit of pressure

The survey comes direct from ofgem. They select random jobs that are in the system and send them out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to National grid in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

• Informative
Why am I not surprised? Britain’s gas network still using engines from 1960s RAF fighter jets Ageing aircraft turbines will cost millions to replace, says National Gas chief Jonathan Leake14 January 2024 • 5:49pm Mr Butterworth, chief executive of National Gas, says the network is powered by...
Replies
Views
Have a problem with an oil fired AGA conversion Has been no problem for 5 years, now goes out 12 to 36 hours after lighting, have checked fire valve, and have installed seperate line from tank to feed AGA went for 3 weeks one time, then went out due high winds. Has now started same pattern Help...
Replies
Views
Hi, Hoping some of you folks can steer me in the right direction. I have been self employed for the last 15years supplying services to the industrial gas market. That ranges from installing cryogenic storage tanks, pumps and pipework to high pressure Hydrogen systems and bulk LNG. My work has...
Replies
Views
  • Question
I've had an idea to use a gas fired generator running on mains gas to top up a large off grid battery bank when solar power is insufficient. Can anybody tell me if this is legal in the UK? Mains gas is much cheaper than electricity per kwh and the fact I've never heard of anybody doing the same...
Replies
Views
Hi my triton shower suddenly had no water coming out after Thames water doing work outside my house, the shower just started buzzing with no water at all, after testing an hour later water is dribbling from where the hose connects, please can anyone help what they think could have failed and is...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock